Parent 7 days late on fees......
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Parent 7 days late on fees......

Hi, im after some advice please......

Gave out invoices to all my parents and it stated to be paid on fri 31st january.

One parent (and its always this one who will pay me on the 1st!) still hasnt paid, I care for her child every wednesday. I have sent reminder texts and she has now said shes had to phone her bank and they are looking into it????

She said she would text with an update today but nothing so I text her and her reply was...... the bank think they have put a wrong number in and the money has gone into a dead account........? and are looking into it some more...... She said she should get some money tomorrow and will pay some into my account tomorrow.

I guess theres not much I can do? I have told her I will be charging £4 per day late fees.

nov 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it the first time she has paid? If not then I couldn't see how the bank have got the account wrong. ...I would hand her an up to date invoice with the late payment fee and advise whats in your policy for thus isssue of no payment....ie if after 14 days of invoice date if not paid in full including any late payment fees then I will withhold care until full costs paid x

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

IME I wouldn't put it past the bank to have made a data entry error. But I'm surprised the bank haven't offered to resubmit the transfer (correctly) and waive any charges/overdraft fee to the client if the investigation proves that to be the case.

If this is the first occasion of true lateness in payment (payment on the 1st looks like an irritating habit rather than an attempt to withhold fees) I'd personally cut her some slack. Show the late fees on the next invoice, but don't actually charge them. This shows her the potential cost of failing to get her little ducks in a row next time. Next time is when I would charge the late fees. And if I ever found out she was telling porkies, I'd insist on cash-only from that point on.

4. Likes ziggy liked this post
    sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I was warned about a family who werent great at paying, so i insist they pay every friday in cash or no care. Maybe this would be the answer if this happens again.

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for delay.

Well still no payment and not replying to my texts. I'm due to have him Wednesday.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would ask her to bring in cash on Wednesday for last week and this week and wait and see what happens with the missing money - if the bank have paid it wrongly to a closed account then you can't expect her to pay for the whole month, but I would explain that you can't have him on Wednesday unless she pays for the 2 weeks.

I would also ask her to get the bank to write a letter to explain the situation to you and if she is telling the truth I would reply to the bank asking them to pay her late fees.

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Right she's finally replied......

Yeah sorry. Been having a fight with everyone.. i have been right royaly screwed over this. The bank say it is my fault the details whmere wrong so i wont get my money back. And my tax credits have been cut to £30 a week.. so to be honest I cant afford to pay you in one go and i will have to cancel shawn coming to you because i just cant afford it now. I am so sorry over all of this and i feel ****** terrible!

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

And the stupid thing is, she recently changed her hours and I never wrote it in the contract

Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like a load of rubbish to me. I think I'd write back saying that you accept her notice of termination, subject to payment of the fees (£x) required in lieu of notice, and also mention that you will need to inform the relevant authorities that childcare payments have ceased so that they can adjust her tax credits calculation.

11. Likes AliceK, ziggy liked this post
    Sept 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've gotta be honest, the cynical side of me has to agree with Mummits....sounds like a load of hooey to me! Bank won't give her the money back?! Are you supposed to believe that, IF the details were wrong, the bank would let some random beneficiary keep the money that was meant for you?! Rubbish!

And I've no idea about tax credits but if they've been cut then doesn't that mean that her income must have gone up meaning she no longer qualifies for as much? Which is something she would've known was coming....it wouldn't just come out of the blue would it?

Acceptance of 4 weeks notice and final payment due advice are definitely the way forward me thinks x

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emra81 View Post
    I've gotta be honest, the cynical side of me has to agree with Mummits....sounds like a load of hooey to me! Bank won't give her the money back?! Are you supposed to believe that, IF the details were wrong, the bank would let some random beneficiary keep the money that was meant for you?! Rubbish!
    Unfortunately the bank will not refund the money if this parent has input the details wrongly as the system asks you to double check before pressing send. This puts the onus back on the banking client to ensure that they have done everything they can to get the funds to the correct recipient. I know this as I worked for one of the large high street banks for 5 years and dealt with an enquiry just like this.

In answer to the OP it does sound like the parent is coming up with every possible explanation as to why she hasnt paid her bill. I would recommend that you contact your insurer and ask for their advice.

nov 12
    Post Thanks / Like

If mum had paid u the same way before. ....the system would have the details already inputed...iyswim :-/

15. Likes caz3007 liked this post
    Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

The mum did say the bank got it wrong, not herself. If the bank did it, surely they will feel bound to put it right.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mummits View Post
    The mum did say the bank got it wrong, not herself. If the bank did it, surely they will feel bound to put it right.
    If it is a bank error yes they would fix it. From my experience anyway x