First visit from parents
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Non childminder member
    Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Default First visit from parents

I have just had my first enquiry from parents to look after their 2 year old Daughter they want to come round next week for a visit. This will be my first meeting so can anyone give me any advice on how I go about things. What normally happens on the first visit ? What paperwork do I need to go through ? I also know that they are visiting quite a few childminders in the area so a little nervous. Thank you Sarah x

Registered Childminder since
    May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Make up a list of things you want to ask, (days, times etc) and things you want to tell them (abt you, eyfs, meals, activities, outings, my holidays)

I have my portfolio available (all my certificates, Ofsted report etc) and my policy folder which I offer to parents to read (if they want)

Then I just chat away. Sometimes I leaf through the policy folder to prompt me to tell them abt certain things (ie v&d so 48h exclusion which goes for them and my family and do they have a back up plan if I close? Etc etc)

Often I forget to mention something or offer a drink.

At the end I give an A4 leaflet about me, because sometimes when parents see lots of providers they can't remember the wood for the trees. I also try to ensure parents don't visit more than 2 providers a day because a mum came once, having already seen 3 CM - baby was besides himself

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I asked a similar question last week as I had my first meeting last weekend. On the day I'd almost completely lost my voice, so could barely talk, forgot to offer them a drink or show them around the house as my son was asleep in the dining room when they arrived, and I forgot to show them my folder of certificates and policies!
    However I sat on the floor and croakily played with their children, answered their questions as best I could about what I'd do each day, food I'd provide etc, and they came back thurs and signed contracts! And at that point I gave them all the info I couldn't without a voice!
    I'd say just be yourself, interact with the child s much as poss so they can see whether their child will fit in to your home and get on with you, good luck

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
    Make up a list of things you want to ask, (days, times etc) and things you want to tell them (abt you, eyfs, meals, activities, outings, my holidays)

I have my portfolio available (all my certificates, Ofsted report etc) and my policy folder which I offer to parents to read (if they want)

Then I just chat away. Sometimes I leaf through the policy folder to prompt me to tell them abt certain things (ie v&d so 48h exclusion which goes for them and my family and do they have a back up plan if I close? Etc etc)

Often I forget to mention something or offer a drink.

At the end I give an A4 leaflet about me, because sometimes when parents see lots of providers they can't remember the wood for the trees. I also try to ensure parents don't visit more than 2 providers a day because a mum came once, having already seen 3 CM - baby was besides himself
    I do similar, I show them around my home first though. I have lists too because I get involved with entertaining the child and need a crib sheet. On the phone call or email I have arranged meet I asked the child's favourite playing activity - that way I can make sure it is out and so the child is occupied happily.

100% success rate!

Just be yourself, if they are not happy with you, chances are you probably are not happy with them! I do 'vet' before I offer visit so not a waste of time due to a minor point.