Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Play area

Registered Childminder since
    Pre-Reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Play area

Hey,

My kitchen is a large rectangle shape with kitchen one end dining room the other side. I am just wondering as long as I put a room divider/gate across the kitchen would I be able to use the dining area as a play room? Aslong as I risk assessed and wouldn't leave children alone etc etc.

Also looking into toy storage if I am to buy the Expedit Ikea unit do I have to make sure this is attached to the wall or anything?

(sorry if my questions seem dumb I am a newbie to Ofsted etc)Thanks in advance Xx

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I think as long as everything is risk assessed it shouldn't be a problem (but I am new to this too so not 100% sure). We were told our expedit had to be attached to the wall was simple enough to do and it does make it more sturdy.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a l shaped extension that has a small kitchen at one end and the play area is open plan to this. Ofsted never mentioned bordering it off just risk asses your oven ect and cupboards. Explain it's a open to baking playing messy on the floor , he was very pleased when assessing me and only suggested maybe getting heat proof film on oven door. Also have the ikea storage never spoke about it like the easy access for kids .

4. Likes PeekABoos liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess it depends on which size Expedit unit you have. When I had a six box one I never fixed that to anything and used to move it around to suit. Now I have the 16 box one which is huge and definitely needs fixing to the wall. It would be deadly if it fell over.

xxxx

6. Likes PeekABoos liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I have bought a extendable gate/safety pen to use to divide my kitchen/diner in the same way. I was going to risk assess EVERYTHING and hope Mrs O would be happy with this xx

8. Likes PeekABoos liked this post
    Pre-Reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. Lots of paper work to come then

Yeah I was looking at the 16 shelved one (sure they will be filled in no time lol) so I thought it would probably need securing. As you say does look deathly if it was to fall. Best to be safe. Xx

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My kitchen is completely open plan with play area/dining/lounge. No need to fence off a kitchen if it is risk assessed.
    Supervise area when cooking, dangerous things out of reach, teach children about kitchen safety.

11. Likes PeekABoos, Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My kitchen is also not penned off and Mrs O was fine with it. x

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

My kitchen diner is open plan. Before registering I had planned to 'fence' off the kitchen end. Then we got a dog whose crate is down the end I wanted to use for the children. At my pre-reg I asked what I should do and was told to risk assess, consider if/where to use cupboard locks and teach the children what was allowed and what wasn't. Much as I would treat my own children in fact. I was pleasantly surprised by my inspectors attitude. I haven't fenced off at all and this was no problem during my graded inspection. I could show I had locks on my cleaning cupboard and would consider using them elsewhere if I had a child likely to open doors and drawers.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

That is good to know that I don't have to have it penned off all the time then, as long as its risk assessed I guess

Pre-Reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Great thanks everyone. Means we can use my kitchen/hall way and living room together then :-) xx