Likes Likes:  75
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Put offs

Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Put offs

As you all know for personal reasons I am giving up childminding for a while. The one 19mo girl I look after is looking with mum and dad at other CMs and she's been telling me what puts her off. I thought I'd list them here as good or thought? Everyone is different so it doesn't make someone a good or bad CM but thought it could be a point of interest. Will add them as we go along!

- one CM was lovely but son said 'shut up' to his mum on visit wasn't pulled up on it.

-one CM sent a 40 page welcome pack explaining she can only kiss the child on the forehead, she can't play on her equipment due to manufacturers guidelines (garden swing, trampoline etc)

-children never go upstairs in the house EVER - she wants a home from home where children are sleeping where CMs own children would be napping

2. Likes Koala liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I hasten to add her mum has been telling me not the 19mo lol!!

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that, this will make interesting reading.

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Intriguing, do keep us updated!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't let mindees upstairs . My dds are 8,10,12 and have lots of small Lego tiny toys etc.. To me it's bad enough they have to watch what they leave downstairs without the Los invading their rooms too (mindees all under three) one of my mums was surprised recently she always thought they had the run of the house, I do tell parents now and if they don't like it tough, we compromise enough I think!

All very good points though and a great thread to get some inside info! thanks a mil keep it coming! We rarely get an idea why parents pick one setting over another!

Ps thought it was the 19mo telling you! Was thinking very advanced lol!

7. Likes lilac_dragon, Bluebell, ziggy, Dragonfly liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Fab thread will really help thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I'm new to this and soon to register. This will make interesting reading! I plan to have just living room as space and upstairs toilet but no other access due to teen son and small bits around. Didn't think it would be an issue but we'll see...

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't use my bedrooms now. My son is 11 and needs his space. I do have a second lounge where I can put a travel cot if needed

11. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    sep 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Don't think anyone would want to go in either of my sons rooms, I struggle! (16 and 21)

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When I registered in Wales CSSIW would only register the toilet and the bathroom upstairs - which I am happy with - at that time they were not registering upstairs due to fire risk and evacuation when you have children upstairs sleeping and downstairs playing (not sure if it has changed again since). In England my whole house was registered but children did not go upstairs as that area was my children's and they needed their own space especially DS as he was 8+.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting thread.

At one time our certifates said that children couldn't use the upstairs rooms, other than the bathroom and any specifically registered rooms. I didn't ever register the bedrooms as I didn't want minded children in them. Luckilly I always had a room downstairs for them to sleep in. Over the years I have never had a parent who specifically wanted their child to go upstairs, so it's not something I'd even have considered.

15. Likes ajc liked this post
    Mar 12
    Post Thanks / Like

My children's rooms are out of bounds too (even to one mindee who is 5 who has come for playdates in the past). The only room I use upstairs is my bedroom where a travel cot goes up 3 days per week. Only the child going in the cot comes upstairs. I agree, my own children give up enough without having their bedrooms overrun too.

One parent wanted her child to sleep in total darkness (she currently sleeps in the dining room) and wanted me to put up the cot in my son's bedroom. Answer was a big NO (my son's bedroom isn't any darker than the dining room anyway).

We have a downstairs toilet so there is no reason for mindees to be upstairs anyway (apart from at nap time).
    Life is all about how you handle plan B

17. Likes ajc, Maza liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My upstairs is off limits except if I need to put a child up there in a cot to sleep (depending on who I've got). My lounge is pretty much off limits again except as a sleeping area for LO's (usually in a buggy). The mindees all have free access to playroom and hallway (which is large) and the kitchen for eating and messy play. I open up my house enough but some rooms are just ours and I will not have LO's invading my whole house. No-one has ever said they have a problem with it.

When I was looking for a childminder I very clearly remember walking out through a childminders kitchen to go and sit in her garden where we were to be chatting and her hob was filthy, and I mean proper filthy, that put me off straight away, I thought there is no way I want her cooking my sons meals on that.
    I think, certainly in my case, I always went by gut instinct and when I found the right childminder (my DS had 3) I decided that she was right within a couple of minutes of meeting her.

xxxx

19. Likes Maza liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charlottenash View Post
    As you all know for personal reasons I am giving up childminding for a while. The one 19mo girl I look after is looking with mum and dad at other CMs and she's been telling me what puts her off. I thought I'd list them here as good or thought? Everyone is different so it doesn't make someone a good or bad CM but thought it could be a point of interest. Will add them as we go along!

- one CM was lovely but son said 'shut up' to his mum on visit wasn't pulled up on it.

-one CM sent a 40 page welcome pack explaining she can only kiss the child on the forehead, she can't play on her equipment due to manufacturers guidelines (garden swing, trampoline etc)

-children never go upstairs in the house EVER - she wants a home from home where children are sleeping where CMs own children would be napping

That is very odd if you don't mind my saying. For years yes I slept children upstairs and I used my bedroom and sometimes my children's for sleeping (my whole house is registered and still is) however 3 years ago we extended the ground floor and I now sleep children in my families sitting room and in the spare room/sitting room/playroom. One is asleep in there in the travel cot as I type, the other is in the lie back buggy next to me (not 100% so I am keeping an eye). I never sleep children upstairs now and even when I did, I didn't show parents upstairs. This is my home and I have to have some privacy and strangers do not go in my or my children's bedrooms.

21. Likes AliceK, ajc, Dragonfly liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    [/COLOR]

That is very odd if you don't mind my saying. For years yes I slept children upstairs and I used my bedroom and sometimes my children's for sleeping (my whole house is registered and still is) however 3 years ago we extended the ground floor and I now sleep children in my families sitting room and in the spare room/sitting room/playroom. One is asleep in there in the travel cot as I type, the other is in the lie back buggy next to me (not 100% so I am keeping an eye). I never sleep children upstairs now and even when I did, I didn't show parents upstairs. This is my home and I have to have some privacy and strangers do not go in my or my children's bedrooms.
    I suppose it depends how this information is presented. For example, if it is said in a way which makes the families feel that they would be a nuisance upstairs and are not worthy of being in that part of the house then it could get their backs up. If you show how welcoming and child friendly your downstairs area is, and that they have a lovely place to sleep, then it probably wouldn't even enter the parents heads to be put off. Is mum generally fussy? Do you think she would be better off with a nanny so that the child can nap in the comfort of her own bed?

A couple of parents expressed concern over the size of my TV and assumed that as it was so big that it must be a very important part of our life and that we would have it on all day! I was rather bemused as I really don't think they would have asked if it had been a normal sized TV! As soon as I reassured them that hubby got it to enhance his weekend sports matches they felt better and both took up a space.

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

If they don't like my Smurfs. They can't come in...
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

24. Likes Koala, Maza, ajc liked this post
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I never have los upstairs. Its the only part of our house thats still ours iykwim. Dd is 16 yrs so doesnt want los up in her room and I personally think its her private place, even I only go in there when I have to. None of the parents have ever asked why the los dont go up there. To be honest I think they appreciate that this is my home first and my business second. X
    If all else fails......add glitter!

26. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    I suppose it depends how this information is presented. For example, if it is said in a way which makes the families feel that they would be a nuisance upstairs and are not worthy of being in that part of the house then it could get their backs up. If you show how welcoming and child friendly your downstairs area is, and that they have a lovely place to sleep, then it probably wouldn't even enter the parents heads to be put off. Is mum generally fussy? Do you think she would be better off with a nanny so that the child can nap in the comfort of her own bed? A couple of parents expressed concern over the size of my TV and assumed that as it was so big that it must be a very important part of our life and that we would have it on all day! I was rather bemused as I really don't think they would have asked if it had been a normal sized TV! As soon as I reassured them that hubby got it to enhance his weekend sports matches they felt better and both took up a space.

We have a huge tv too and my first parent asked how often we have the tv on. I wonder if it was because of the size. We also have a tv on the wall in the kitchen but that doesn't even work! I must remember to tell people that! Our tv is also to enhance hubby's sports and general viewing!!

In terms of upstairs - that area is out of bounds. Again it's my children's space and will stay that way. If parents don't like that then we won't be able to work together.. We have lots of space downstairs and a quiet room to sleep in so it's not a problem.

28. Likes Maza liked this post
    Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I have ever taken a parent around my house. They step right in to my playroom and unless then need the toilet (next to the play room) they never see anymore of the house. One parent who I started minding for three years ago finally saw my front room when she came for tea.

I don't really see why they should as even when I go to friends I don't go look round all their rooms it's just not done. I had an interview with a parent this weekend they only saw the playroom. I had to make them sit on the floor to as I had no sofa. My son spent the whole time forcing them to look at a book. They have still chosen to leave there child with me so it must work.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

as with most who have posted so far, my upstairs is out of bounds. It is my family space and it also means I dont have to do the housework every day up there.

I am lucky enough to have a playroom with the downstairs loo one end. I also have a reasonable sized lounge/ diner so we use that for the travel cots and older sleepers in the sofas.

It seems to work here.

I wonder why the mum wanted the los to use upstairs? is there some reason maybe?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast