Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  75
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Put offs

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Another CM who's upstairs is out of bounds! I struggle to keep downstairs presentable without having to worry about upstairs as well!

When I was looking for a CM for my DD the things that put me off were the decor of the house. I never expected a show home as I know how much kids trash the place but I did expect them to have some pride in the appearance of their home. Also went to one house that smelled of wee.

Although mostly it was personality. Maybe I was just overly fussy because not being able to find a CM I liked was the reason I started doing it myself!
    If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes

2. Likes Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

With the upstairs thing I get the impression she was sort of told straight away 'upstairs is out of bounds' in a little detrimental sort of way. I'm sure if there was a quiet area downstairs she'd be more than happy.

I guess she struck lucky with me, I have showed people everything in my house mainly because my bathroom is upstairs and has loads of signs and bits so I like them to see, and I did show them where they sleep which is my bedroom, sometimes my son will be in his room and will call mindees parents up to look at a new toy or his new bed which came naturally to him so it's sort of come naturally to us too.

I think it's interesting to see from the other perspective but I wouldn't use it as law. Every parent has reasons to choose another childminder.

Pick up soon so I will see if there are any others to add

4. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine walked into a childminder's living room and saw a playpen and it immediately put her off.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have my whole house registered but don't go upstairs with minded children.

I only have cushions in my playroom so usually have prospective parents sitting on the floor! Or we sit at the kitchen table as children play in playroom and dining half of kitchen.

One dad once asked why I didn't have a tv in my playroom...because we are so busy we don't have time!

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My whole house is registered to give me flexibility if needed. However, only the loo is used and the travel cot goes on the landing.

A current family of mine mentioned a few things that put her off about a couple of minders and these were:

No stairgate at the bottom of the stairs. Open plan lounge with stairs coming straight into it. This was the main minding room too.

Having to lend her car seats and double buggy for the girls.

Having pets

Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes the stairgate one was an issue for us from my very first visitor, we have only one walled stairs so otherside is empty hence nowhere to attached stairgate. Anyway my answer (and for ofsted) has always been 'your child will NEVER be left long enough to get to the first step, never mind up the stairs!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Today's issue:

Meals. CM visited yesterday doesn't provide home cooked meals therefore when she collects at 5, she would have to make a meal and bedtime would be late for LO.

June 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

If I wanted a childminder a dog would put me off although I have a dog myself, I know that's very hypocritical.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I was considering getting a dog and was wondering how this might affect my work !

I dont use my upstairs either .. could you imagine how long it would take of an evening if they'd had tge whole house =/

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

When looking for my son just a few months ago, what put me off was one house stank of poo and nappies, and the CM was wearing a nicotine patch, fine if that's what she needed but don't have it visible. There was also a child upstairs for his nap and I had to sit and listen to him cry himself to sleep, just made me sad but that's my own personal parenting choice.
    Another one the 2 kids were sat on an ipad when I arrived and the toddler was in a baby walker thing, not a single toy out, they only got a few bits out when I arrived with my son

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

This is making very interesting and amusing reading

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I once visited a childminder and the house was so cluttered that I thought it couldn't possibly be clean. I mean really cluttered, not just general childminding clutter. It just wasn't a relaxing environment and probably a bit unsafe with stuff all piled on top of other stuff.

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I only use upstairs for one mindie who sleeps here part of the night.
    I had a parent look round today who looks like she will sign up, even after my dear ds who was watching peppa pig in the lounge asked her (after we had moved from the play room into the lounge to collect coats etc) " can you be quiet and talk out there please I can't hear my tele" que evil eyes and an apology from me and he followed it up with can you move your bottom please your in the way"Eeek! she was understanding and said atleast he said please! I wonder if she'll be back!

16. Likes Maza, caz3007 liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Little miss that's a coincidence! My DS always plays up at home time, and says things like that but mums do say 'at least he's polite about it' lol.

Got a text last night saying they went to see one whose house stunk of smoke, and she had 6 kids at a time (I will find out today wether they were under 5 but it sounds like it!) she said she pretended she had an emergency message on her phone that's how bad it was.

She also said the lady 'spoke down' to her daughter instead of being 'on a level'. I really think I may just be very suiting to their needs, and may have set a high precedent for the way they like things done!

18. Likes littlemiss60561 liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charlottenash View Post
    Little miss that's a coincidence! My DS always plays up at home time, and says things like that but mums do say 'at least he's polite about it' lol.

Got a text last night saying they went to see one whose house stunk of smoke, and she had 6 kids at a time (I will find out today wether they were under 5 but it sounds like it!) she said she pretended she had an emergency message on her phone that's how bad it was.

She also said the lady 'spoke down' to her daughter instead of being 'on a level'. I really think I may just be very suiting to their needs, and may have set a high precedent for the way they like things done!
    oh I had a prospective parent here on a visit once and the dad "spoke down" to one of my young mindees. I cut the meeting short after deciding at that point that they were not parents I wanted, made me very very cross

xxx

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AliceK View Post

oh I had a prospective parent here on a visit once and the dad "spoke down" to one of my young mindees. I cut the meeting short after deciding at that point that they were not parents I wanted, made me very very cross

xxx
    Good for you x

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AliceK View Post

xxx
    Yes, I had one prospective mum who seemed to dislike and mistrust my DD and so I turned her down. Felt really good doing it too.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Once when talking to a parent who had been with me for many years she admitted that she had seen several childminders before she saw me - one childminder had a house that looked dirty and there was a terrible smell of cats (the parent did have a cat herself so wasn't anti pets), one childminder had a house that was so clean and tidy that the parent couldn't imagine her son being allowed to play with any thing, another childminder didn't have any children and had a house full of china dolls that spooked the parent out - and then she came to see me - my house obviously wasn't too dirty or too clean - but she said she made her mind up before she met me when she saw my car had a National Trust sticker on it and she knew I would take her son out and about into the local countryside. So my advertising advice is join the National Trust or buy a 2nd hand car with a sticker on it!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

off to find a national trust sticker........

24. Likes hectors house, Maza, primula, Petshrinklj liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I love that hectors house!!!!!

26. Likes hectors house liked this post

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast