Longer school days and shorter holiday
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Simona Guest

Default Longer school days and shorter holiday

Another worrying proposal but the govt seems intent on more time in school and less free time

Lengthen school days and cut holidays, says former Tory adviser | Education | The Guardian

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well lets just hope the tories don't get in again.
    The day this happens is the day I pull both my kids out of school (if I haven't already by then )

xxxx

3. Likes Maza, N/A, 3 little ducks liked this post
    Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

This is just ridiculous! There is no way that I am sending my children to school for that many hours. If this goes through I'd have to start considering home schooling them.

5. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

My ds5 would never cope! He goes to bed at 6.30pm and that's with only 6 hours at school.

7. Likes Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't quite know why people are so up in arms at this.

Yes, it is a stupid proposal, but it's come from a personal blog of someone who USED to be a government advisor.

It's not a Tory proposal, it's not something they've said they are doing, or even considering.

Do you really think the government would get away with a change like that?

9. Likes Leela liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Mouse;1338050]I don't quite know why people are so up in arms at this.

Yes, it is a stupid proposal, but it's come from a personal blog of someone who USED to be a government advisor.

It's not a Tory proposal, it's not something they've said they are doing, or even considering.

Do you really think the government would get away with a change like that?[/QUOTE]

Yes I do actually. The stupid ideas they are currently coming up with gives me no hope at all. 2 year olds in school!!! need I say more

xxx

11. Likes Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=AliceK;1338057]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I don't quite know why people are so up in arms at this.

Do you really think the government would get away with a change like that?[/QUOTE]

Yes I do actually. The stupid ideas they are currently coming up with gives me no hope at all. 2 year olds in school!!! need I say more

xxx

But there's a very big difference in allowing 2 years olds into school and making 9am-6pm, 45 weeks a year education compulsory

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Mouse;1338060]
    Quote Originally Posted by AliceK View Post

But there's a very big difference in allowing 2 years olds into school and making 9am-6pm, 45 weeks a year education compulsory
    To you and me Yes, there is a big difference but to the government who want more parents out to work and better education / better pass rates for our children this would seem to fit the bill.
    Maybe it's just me being cynical but I wouldn't put anything past them anymore

xxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=AliceK;1338062]

To you and me Yes, there is a big difference but to the government who want more parents out to work and better education / better pass rates for our children this would seem to fit the bill.
    Maybe it's just me being cynical but I wouldn't put anything past them anymore

xxx
    But this isn't a government proposal. If it was I would be more concerned.

I'm just always surprised that people read articles like this and react as if they are fact. I've seen so many people this morning (not on here) saying "this is ridiculous. I'm not going to send my children to school for that long. What about summer holidays we've got booked?"

One friend has said she is looking into home schooling because she won't be able to cope with her children out of the house for that long. Now, maybe I'm too laid back, but to me that is a very extreme reaction to some bloke's blog!

15. Likes caz3007 liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems to me his who proposal falls down with one of his first statements.

Imagine if, of the 5m women working part-time for an average of 18 hours per week, 20% worked 10 hours more (as they tell pollsters that they want) and 1m mums who don’t work also started working, with half being full time and half doing 18 hours per week. That’s 2m mums working more, 1m full time equivalent extra workers. This would give the UK the same sort of female employment rates as the Scandanavian countries. The State would save money – it wouldn’t have to pay parents for school age childcare costs (through all its existing vouchers and credits) and of course, it would have the tax revenues of the new workers, it could expect parents on benefits to work more. The non-educational benefits go much further. Just one example is telling. 30% of all youth offending happens between 3 and 6pm each day, in the period between school finishing and parents getting home. Full time school would eliminate this period, the peak period of youth offending.

He is saying that if 20% of the mums working 18 hours a week could work 10 hours more so 28 hours a week. 20% 5m so 1m working 10 hours more

500,000 working 18 hours a week

500,000 working full time

The top two wouldn't need extra hours of school to work or min wrap around care say a breakfast club and a homework club for an hour before and after school at most.

the 500,000 wouldn't need any help with school because they are working within school time.

the 500,000 full timers would need help with wrap around care and there is already a lot of it available.

His plans sound huge and expensive to cater for so few?

The biggest and most expensive stumbling block is cover in the holidays so maybe the government should provide free summer and Easter schools for the children which has a combination of fun, sport and education like they do in the States? It is the summer the parents complain most about the cost of holidays so don't take them have the children in a state provided summer school and the parents can use half terms and Christmas for their holidays? 5 weeks a year which easily covers a family holiday and the rest can be covered between the parents giving them the quality time they crave with their children .

EYFS children would have to go to Childminder's or Day Nurseries in the holidays so they remain in more of a home environment which is more beneficial for the under 6 yrs.

The money saved on Tax credits etc would help fund these schemes, teacher could be offered overtime to work over the holidays if they wanted to and everyone would be happy. No compulsory vast times in school but all the holidays covered.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to know where the jobs were coming from for these million or so mums?

18. Likes rickysmiths, Goatgirl, Rickers83, Maza liked this post
    Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

lets just hope no one listens to him.....

Aug 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD!!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

and for those of US who rely on schoolies to top-up their income

with longer days, shorter hols, mums wouldn't need me as much & what im left with wouldn't pay the bills :0\

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

They could become childminders...oh no, there are no children or babies anymore, they are all at school 24/7.

22. Likes Rickers83 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I posted this yesterday,, uour kids are already in school more than hours! Ours do 9-230 on average after age 7, 9-130 up Til then, and 9-4 when in secondary usually with one day a week finishing at lunch time. We have holidays from end June to end August, two weeks Christmas two weeks Easter and three midterms of a week each.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...e-9054433.html

Simona Guest

This survey is also interesting

Not sure who this Kirby guy is but the govt could jump at his suggestions...anything to keep kids in schools longer
    His blog is causing valid reactions and worries

Should schoolchildren work the same hours as adults? | Comment is free | theguardian.com

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree its probably all speculation and 'maybes' at this point but can you imagine if it did happen? Our kids in school from 9 til 6, the fact that someone has even suggested it is ludicrous and worrying.
    My dd5 is shattered when she comes home from school at half past 3, she'd probably be kipping on the desk if they were kept there until 6
    There was a big discussion about it at the school gates today and I think a lot of mums were under the impression that it is going to happen thanks to media hype. Why do they insist on causing unnecessary upset if its not even a government proposal anyway!
    Kelly xx

Simona Guest

My feeling is that this is an idea put forward as an election vote winner.

Is what this guy is saying in his blog different from what Gove wants to do if left entirely up to him?

27. Likes AliceK liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Play Assistant
    Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree! It is a potential vote winner, as with all government things these days lol

I could read off many things that are stupid, crazy, not right.

Only time will tell tbh. Next year, around May is it? the next big election... I do not like politics lol!

This country will really know it if the Tories gain outright power, I have no preference to any party as such. Just distrust all mp's now

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I seriously doubt that teachers would go for longer working hours - they already work evenings and weekends doing marking & planning....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast