Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 parents who are primary teachers and they don't think this will ever happen

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kats View Post
    I have 2 parents who are primary teachers and they don't think this will ever happen
    From the point of view of the children and family life...no it should never happen but do you trust this govt not to ...somehow...try to do it without taking notice of anyone's opinions?

I doubt they would care if they saw a window of opportunity ...look at agencies they never bothered to listen ...I think it is sad to mess about with children and family life like this for the sake of votes at an election

Simona Guest

Blow me down...there is Gove on the BBC Marr show talking about it...
    oh yes he will find a way of doing it especially the way he is proposing to go about it...watch this space!

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Poor kids would be ding longer hours than the parents. All we will end up with is exhausted and very stressed out children and teachers. And less and less time for building family values. These are terrible ideas. As for Gove, I think he is on a power trip and heading for a big fall if he really thinks parents are going to accept all his crazy ideas.... And now I'm fuming, and I don't even have children at school!!

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Going off the initial thread slightly but I wish they would introduce longer days and shorter holidays for uni students - then they could get a degree in 2 years instead of 3 and not have to pay for expensive accommodation that they aren't even living in during the holidays.

6. Likes SYLVIA liked this post
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    Going off the initial thread slightly but I wish they would introduce longer days and shorter holidays for uni students - then they could get a degree in 2 years instead of 3 and not have to pay for expensive accommodation that they aren't even living in during the holidays.
    I agree with this. My daughter is in her last year but she never seems to be in uni,more working at home. But we still have to pay the same fees.

Simona Guest

I agree with the comment about Uni students...they certainly face huge fees and debts for the privilege of getting a degree

Not sure if anyone watched Gove on the Marr show yesterday morning?...it was a rather controversial interview and all his warped proposals came out such as punishing children to address their bad behaviour...
    the introduction of 'no notice' inspections for schools where behaviour appears to be a problem
    Baroness Morgan getting the sack as Ofsted chair ..who will replace her, oftsed independence from the Dfe and the longer school hours he is fond of introducing

What he wants to introduce is 'extra curricular' activities in schools...these has been widely reported in various articles yesterday
    am I wrong in saying these activities are already available? Children can access activities at 8am and also those after 3.15 pm....so nothing new here

What he has not addressed is the fact that these extra curricular activities are not 'compulsory' and that parents pay for them...so what is the plan he is trying to sell? that longer hours if introduced will address the cost of childcare?...not sure how his logic works

can he truly introduce such proposals when he is at loggerheads with the teaching profession?
    will teachers ever agree longer school days and shorter holiday?
    will parent agree as well?
    is the proposal family friendly?

The only thing not discussed on the show was his proposal to test 4 year olds....he is totally out of touch there as he appears not to know how the system works in EY and once children enter school at Reception....

All in all a very fruitful day for the Education Minister...or so he may believe

If anyone is interested they can add to this poll by Voice the union
    Poll: Are the school (summer) holidays “too long”? (updated) | Voice Blog
    Last edited by Simona; 03-02-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12