9 month old
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 9 month old

Post Thanks / Like

Default 9 month old

Hi all. I had a 9 month old start 3 weeks ago and I'm not sure whether to be concerned or not. He can't sit up by himself and can't crawl. He can roll over and that's it. I've tried to sit him up and he just flops over. All of the 9 month olds I know can crawl and pull theirselves up to stand. Is this normal or should I be concerned? Tia

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 9 month old mindee who is the same. He was premature and sees a Physio- so I think yes- speak with your area SENCO and the parents.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok thank you x

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyjess View Post
    Hi all. I had a 9 month old start 3 weeks ago and I'm not sure whether to be concerned or not. He can't sit up by himself and can't crawl. He can roll over and that's it. I've tried to sit him up and he just flops over. All of the 9 month olds I know can crawl and pull theirselves up to stand. Is this normal or should I be concerned? Tia
    My first thought is to ask mum if she has seen the health Visitor recently? suggest she takes the baby to the clinic for a check up
    If you use DM as a 'guidance' it does put 'sits unsupported on the floor' in the 8-20 months stage
    Is the baby able to lift his head up when on his tummy? does he straighten his arms?

Observe him for another couple of weeks...his head may be floppy because he has not built his core muscles as yet
    If you are still concerned after you have noted what he can do and cannot do that worries you...approach mum.

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd also be talking to parent about how baby spend his time at home- is he always in a bouncy chair or similar? Does he get lots of tummy-time, floor-time etc with things to reach for?

6. Likes N/A liked this post
    mar06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Some baby's just arnt ready yet
    My mindee is 15 months only started to crawl over Xmas and now standing not yet walking
    Health visitor was on mums case big time saying he should be walking on his 1st bday I said each to their own he will do it and he is
    My own child never sat up she crawled 1st

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a couple of babies of similar age who crawled before they could sit, and they got there just fine.

Also one who could sit and bum shuffle, but not roll over to get up from lying on his back - it was quite a striking difference at the time, but a few months later he'd mastered that particular movement too.

Two of my own babies sat early, never really rolled and were over 9mths before they crawled.

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely talk to mum. I will warn you that HV often says nothing wrong or has no idea what to advise (hopefully it is just mine that doesn't have a clue about anything).

Big difference in every child I have had one mindie that learnt to roll over early but didn't sit till a year and was close to two before they walked. My own DS didn't learn to roll over until a month after he started cruising. In both cases we never worried though as they were developing in other areas. My niece was very lazy in sitting up and was about 9 months before she learnt she was a very late walker too but she does just have a lazy nature no muscle problems.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

As moggy says does baby get plenty of tummy time? This according to a physio I met is incredibly important as it builds the core muscles. Some los are reluctant but you need to stick with it.

If they do then im not sure what to suggest other than mum taking them to the hv again as others have said.

Simona Guest

Bunnyjess...this article will help as long as we remember all babies are different

You mentioned in your original message that the baby flops forward...read this and it will help
    This is a common thing to happen until babies are stronger...they all develop differently anyway.... at that age he does need lots oftummy time, time on his back and sitting up surrounded by cushions....many babies are either constantly carried or in their seats

I am sure he will soon be crawling all over...good luck

Developmental milestones: sitting - BabyCentre

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone. I will read the article in a bit. I always give him lots of tummy time but have a feeling that at home he just gets carried about all day.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyjess View Post
    Thank you everyone. I will read the article in a bit. I always give him lots of tummy time but have a feeling that at home he just gets carried about all day.

"he just gets carried about all day" that is not a bad thing. Carrying a baby all day is absolutely normal in many cultures, strapped on back or hip or front. Sometimes called 'babywearing', basically using a sling (not a high-street 'crotch-dangling' sling but a proper supportive sling where legs are in froggy-position, search babywearing if you are interested.) It strengthens neck and core muscles, it is a good thing. Some good reading here: Babes in Arms – The Benefits of Babywearing and excerpt here:

Another developmental advantage for which I was thankful was the replacement of prescribed tummy time with babywearing. Tummy time has become necessary with the institution of the Back to Sleep campaign. Babies now spend much of their days on their back on relatively hard surfaces – at night, in a crib or bassinet, or in a bed; during the day, in a pack and play, carseat and stroller. All of this time on their backs can lead to a flattening of the back of the head. It also leads to weaker neck muscles, as the baby never has a chance to exercise their neck lying on their back. Because of this, baby experts and health professionals now call for a prescribed amount of tummy time for baby each day, allowing baby to strengthen their neck and take the pressure off the back of their head for a while. Many babies (thought not all) dislike this. Luckily, babywearing doubles as tummy time, and if you’re wearing baby for an hour, or a number of hours, each day, she is receiving much more exercise for her neck and back than she would have during the prescribed amount of tummy time, and she is also kept off her back, warding off the flat head. When a baby is in a sling, especially once they are in an upright position, which is possible from birth and ideal from four or six months and up, their core muscles are constantly engaged as their parent moves and goes about their day. Though baby’s body is well-supported, safe and secure in the carrier, small shifts in their parent’s body position cause them to shift as well, in turn strengthening their muscles. They also lift their heads to see or to turn their head, which strengthens their neck in the same way tummy time would.

What is a problem is when baby is left lying on back, or reclining in a rocking/bouncy/vibrator chair for hours on end. Also leads to the flat head problem I see so often.