Local authority maximum numbers
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Local authority maximum numbers

Hi, other than ofsted ratio requirements, does anyone else here have any requirements imposed upon them re numbers from their local council? Where I live we have to send off info to the council about how many rooms you use for your business, how many kids you plan to care for at one time, how many of your own kids you have, then they assess whether you need to apply for planning permission or not. My council has said that if I have more than 6 kids total (including my own 2) then I would have to apply for formal planning permission for "change of use of the building". But the application alone would cost nearly £400!!! It's so frustrating, as I see so many CMs with about 8-10 kids, but I'm so restricted. Now whilst it's not currently a problem as most of my spaces are taken up with EY children, it does mean that EVERY child, even over-8s, take up a space at my setting, which has implications for things like school hols, and whether people need to pay retainers to hold spaces open for their over-8s etc. Anyone else have this issue at all? Should I just bite the bullet and pay up, get planning permission and then no longer worry about numbers? Also, what are the implications of not applying for planning permission when you're supposed to? Is it breaking the law? Could I be shut down? I wonder how many CMs who've been working for years haven't even worried about it because they don't know it applies to them now.

xxxx

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am restricted to 6 minded children of any age. This is an improvement on the planning rules 10 years ago which was 6 people going in and out the house (as a family of 5, one a baby, I could only care for 1 minded child).

If you go for change of use your neighbours will be given the chance to object. Your council may decide that as it is now a business premises not a domestic premises you need to pay for business rates, pay for refuse collection. Your utility bills can charge you business rather than domestic rates of bills. When you come to sell the house you could have problems as it is now a business premises. And there is no guarantee that you will get the change of use.

I have decided to stay with the 6 minded children of any age. You need to stay within LA restrictions as well as Ofsted. The council could subject you to lengthy retrospective planning and fines if you do not comply with planning procedures (and I assume close you down completely as would happen to other businesses operating without planning).

The minders that registered here before I did have historical use so do not have to apply for planning or abide by the restrictions - One childminder has had to prove historical use and had a certificate granted as she was minding before the restrictions after someone complained to the council that she was caring for more than 6 children.
    Last edited by tulip0803; 26-01-2014 at 04:23 PM.

Sept 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Omg that is utterly ridiculous! How will anyone even know though if I'm caring for more than that amount? The council surely don't have the right to look at my attendance register, as it's got mindees' names and DOB on it (data protection). Do you find that you have to treat each child then as taking up one of your limited spaces?

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redtiger21 View Post
    Omg that is utterly ridiculous! How will anyone even know though if I'm caring for more than that amount? The council surely don't have the right to look at my attendance register, as it's got mindees' names and DOB on it (data protection). Do you find that you have to treat each child then as taking up one of your limited spaces?
    The council would come in if they had a complaint about numbers, noise, traffic, parking etc. They can then issue legal proceedings where you would have to prove that you were operating within planning regs, which of course costs money.

All children take a space but then where I live I have to drive to go any where so am restricted to bums on seats +dd2 so am effectively restricting myself to 5 anyway.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes it is totally dependent on your Local Authority - some require it and some don't ... xx