Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: What!!!!

Registered Childminder since
    aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What!!!!

Got a lo 20 months. First week so far all she will do is stand by my sofa looking out the window. Doesn't say much. Mum talks English and Bulgarian to her. She is on short term contract and comes 4 days. Mum arrived and said as she has some hospital appointments she WILL come at the weekend. I tried to explain that A I only do emergency care over weekends. B that I charge much more for weekends and C I only do it if it suits me. Ok I didn't say I only do it if I want to. But it was attitude that I would be open and it was normal for me to drags self out of bed early

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

nothing surprises me anymore. Don't you know yet that you don't have a personal life, every waking minute of your life belongs to the parents.

I hope you put her straight.

xxxxx

3. Likes Koala liked this post
    Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

And of course she wanted you to do this for peanuts or didn't even consider payment , again I am not surprised at anything anymore, it's a shame but I just waite for the next parent to of load their c rap on me. Thank it's Friday

5. Likes cupcakencookie liked this post
    Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just had a parent tell me they are changing their hours! I replied I will need time to think if I can accomadate the change of hours! They were shocked!

7. Likes lilac_dragon liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

But how unreasonable of you Jackie all she wants to do is swap days what is wrong with you

You don't do anything at the weekends do you? I thought you sat at home waiting for your minded families to arrive

I wonder what the local Nursery would have said? What did she say when you explained it doesn't work like that? It would be nice to be asked as well.

9. Likes Koala liked this post
    Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I think they all think our lives revolve around them and the little darlings!

I had one parent, who is contracted to Wednesdays & Thursdays, say to me actually LO will be with you Tuesday & Wednesday next week.

Actually I think you'll find LO won't be! Parent was shocked and kept mentioning having to change shifts etc but I stood my ground. If id had a bit more notice or even a please I might have considered it!

11. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the difference is the please and the thank you or even just a request instead of being told - I am increasingly infuriated about parents rudeness - I have one mum who comes a little late all the time - I don't really mind what does insult me is that she will apologize to her son who is 14 m old but NEVER to me!

Is it me, am I just so out of touch to expect a little etiquette!! and

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

You need to tell her in no uncertain terms that you are NOT employed by HER. You are providing a service and YOU decide the days/hours that you will work. All with a nice smile of course
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

How does no grab you?

Post Thanks / Like

Some people are unbelievable
    Get them told x

Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I like to help parents out where possible as I believe if you show a little bit of willing when you want something in return eg short notice change of hours due to school production they are more likely to oblige ( I know it doesn't always happen) but and it's a big but I like to be asked as far as possible in advance with the understanding that whilst as far as possible I will accommodate (within reason) I can't always accommodate their requests as I do have a life and a family and make plans for when I am not working. I like to be asked and given time to think and check and not be made to feel guilty if I say no!!! Oh and to be appreciated for accommodating their request - just a simple thank you is enough!

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jackie 7 View Post
    Got a lo 20 months. First week so far all she will do is stand by my sofa looking out the window. Doesn't say much. Mum talks English and Bulgarian to her. She is on short term contract and comes 4 days. Mum arrived and said as she has some hospital appointments she WILL come at the weekend. I tried to explain that A I only do emergency care over weekends. B that I charge much more for weekends and C I only do it if it suits me. Ok I didn't say I only do it if I want to. But it was attitude that I would be open and it was normal for me to drags self out of bed early
    Let's give the parent the benefit of the doubt...I would go through the contract and explain clearly weekends are not working days for you and is there any other arrangements she could make with friends, family or such to care for the child?

A hospital appointment at the weekend is unusual ...ask if she could explain if it is an emergency or routine
    you say that you would charge more...is this in the contract that maybe the parent has seen?
    you may want to help ...if not you can say you have other plans and not suitable

aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I just had a lo g talk with her. She wanted to swop week day for weekend but realised from what I said I only do emergency cover at weekends. She asked if closer to her exams if I could do it. I said I understood that shd might need help then as her husband was also doing exams. I said book in advance and if I could help I would do 1 day over weekend. She went away happy but a big surprised st how much I would charge!! I don't get out of bed at weekends for low pay.

19. Likes Koala, Ripeberry liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jackie 7 View Post
    I just had a lo g talk with her. She wanted to swop week day for weekend but realised from what I said I only do emergency cover at weekends. She asked if closer to her exams if I could do it. I said I understood that shd might need help then as her husband was also doing exams. I said book in advance and if I could help I would do 1 day over weekend. She went away happy but a big surprised st how much I would charge!! I don't get out of bed at weekends for low pay.
    Well that is a very good result!
    CMs should never get out of bed for low pay...not just at weekends but weekdays too!