Changing nappies at playgroup
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lincoln
    Posts
    562
    Registered Childminder since
    July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Changing nappies at playgroup

    Quick question if you are at playgroup and needed to change a nappy would you take all your mindees with you or not? Someone at mine today told me I should take all mine with me even though there are helpers from the playgroup, friends there etc.

    What is your view?

    Sam

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    882
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I asked another minder to keep an eye on mine if I've only got one other and she's in numbers or I take the others with me. I'm lucky because the nappy change area is off the main hall with no door so I can hear if there's anything going on or another minder shouts me back in. I think there's an OFSTED rule that says children should be within sight or hearing distance at all times but don't quote me on it x
    Kelly xx

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lincoln
    Posts
    562
    Registered Childminder since
    July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    There was another minder who was there and said it to me and I think you might be right the children just get so cross when I take them away from what they are playing with.

    Thanks.

    Sam x

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    2,921
    Registered Childminder since
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think if you are with other childminders maybe you could leave them. I go to another childminders house to play and if one needs the toilet I leave the other 2 in the playroom with her and vice versa but if I was in the house on my own that's what I do anyway.

    I wouldn't leave the children with anyone else such as friends or someone I knew because they are not dbs/crb checked and if something was to happen in the short space of time then its you who is accountable.

    We have a childminding group in my town and I know everyone looks after everyone else's, whether they are supposed to or not, I don't know

    When I go to toddler groups I always take all my 3 with me. The other childminder is there but she has 2 of her own so I wouldn't expect her to look after all 4.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    882
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stapleton83 View Post
    There was another minder who was there and said it to me and I think you might be right the children just get so cross when I take them away from what they are playing with.

    Thanks.

    Sam x
    I know, it's a shame for them. My oldest one does a big dramatic sigh when I say lets go and quickly changes X's nappy, like I'm asking him to climb a mountain or something lol xx
    Kelly xx

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,211
    Registered Childminder since
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Common sense (and I think this is how it works in practice) says it's ok to leave children with another cm as you know they are DBS checked (and ok'd by Ofsted). However, I'm not sure if this is the official answer. I think it was something we were told was ok when I did my CYPOP5, although I never have done. Just because it's usually my DD I'm leaving and that's up to me as a parent.

  7. Likes Louise_Oaktree liked this post
  8. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    239
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yeah I've always wondered about this too. I leave my dd with a friend or another minder who wouldn't be over their numbers and then take both of the other 2 with me as they're the ones I'm being paid to look after...luckily dd is usually quite happy just cracking on without me!

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    764
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hmmm it can get complicated, if we say 'yes it's ok to leave with another childminder' do we then need to see proof that they are an ofsted registered childminder before doing it!

    I think the world has gone a bit bonkers

  10. Likes serin liked this post
  11. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    By the sea
    Posts
    8,830
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The groups I go to have always got other childminders there. If I need to go to the toilet myself, take one of the children to the toilet, or go & change a nappy, I ask the other cms to watch the remaining children for me. I often have 4 children & no way am I taking them all with me.

    What if you had a baby with you, but needed to take a toddler to have their nappy changed? Where would you put the baby if you had to take it with you to the bathroom?

    I really do think you have to use some common sense. You wouldn't leave children in a public soft play area, for instance, while you went off to the toilet, but if you are in a secure room with other childminders I really don't see the problem in asking them to keep an eye on your children for a couple of minutes.

  12. Likes ziggy, serin liked this post
  13. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,117
    Registered Childminder since
    May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I only go to sure start groups and ask them to watch others if need to take one to toilet x
    I love my friends who live inside my laptop xx

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    950
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We were advised by ofsted and coordinator that we need to get parents to sign a permission form to confirm that it is ok for their child to remain in a playroom with another named childminder when we are at groups for this particular sinario. On this form in my case it names two childminders and network coordinator who all have current DBS checks that are less than 3 years old.

    Debbie
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

  15. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Runcorn, United Kingdom
    Posts
    153
    Registered Childminder since
    nov 12
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emra81 View Post
    Yeah I've always wondered about this too. I leave my dd with a friend or another minder who wouldn't be over their numbers and then take both of the other 2 with me as they're the ones I'm being paid to look after...luckily dd is usually quite happy just cracking on without me!
    I do the same...my own two stay but take the mindees together

  16. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    688
    Registered Childminder since
    sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have permission from parents to leave with childrens centre workers (that's where I go most of the time) this is mainly because I had three non walkers and it was such a palava to go to the loo. The parents know the staff too which helps. Otherwise I left my dd and took other two

  17. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    37,489
    Registered Childminder since
    1994
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    I would take them with me - there are too many unannounced / malicious complaints being made at the moment

    I want children in my sight and / or hearing at all times as required by the Eyfs xx

  18. Likes Louise_Oaktree liked this post
  19. #15
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Aren't we in danger of becoming scared of our own shadow and becoming slaves to a framework that relies on our professionalism to make sound decisions and judgement?

    I would assume most cms change nappies before going to playgroup...if one needed changing this should be an occasional occurrence not standard practice so another well known and trusted CM should be able to cover for 10 mins?

    We were allowed to nominate registered CMs for holiday 'cover' who would be well known to the children and with permission from families allow them to cover our breaks....isn't that what agencies will allow cms who join them?
    I can't see why this should not apply here but, of course, everyone is different.

    I can see we are now going to have to run and create another document to cover such eventualities ...yes children must be within hearing and sight as Sarah says but also safeguarded...I would assume being looked after by a trusted colleague falls in the category?

    Hard to give any advice because we will see this differently

  20. Likes Mouse, ziggy liked this post
  21. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    649
    Registered Childminder since
    Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I take them all with me. I change them all before we go and when we get home, so they usually don't need changing whilst there anyway. I have more peace of mind taking them with me, especially as one of my Los is a bit bitey at the moment and one cries when I get more than six feet from him.
    Apologies for the random full stops. Phone buttons too small, thumbs too big.

  22. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    By the sea
    Posts
    8,830
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Out of interest, if children have to be in sight or hearing at all times, how do cms manage when they take children to soft play or toddler groups where the children are out of sight (at one of ours the room was such a shape that children could play round the corner. They were still in the main room, but couldn't always been seen & definitely couldn't be heard in the noise)?

    And what about at nurseries when the children take themselves off to the toilet? Again, at our nursery, the children couldn't be seen or heard.

  23. Likes N/A, ziggy liked this post
  24. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,211
    Registered Childminder since
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Out of interest, if children have to be in sight or hearing at all times, how do cms manage when they take children to soft play or toddler groups where the children are out of sight (at one of ours the room was such a shape that children could play round the corner. They were still in the main room, but couldn't always been seen & definitely couldn't be heard in the noise)?

    And what about at nurseries when the children take themselves off to the toilet? Again, at our nursery, the children couldn't be seen or heard.
    This is one of the things that mean that I won't be going to toddler group anymore It is too difficult to get all three children safely in and out while still keeping them within sight or hearing. I would have given up going long ago except for the fact that one of the three is my DD so can be left briefly. I've never needed to change a nappy and only once taken DD to the toilet (that time only had one LO so just took with me. With two, I'd have to put one in the pushchair to keep them safe and help DD. Far too much hassle, to my mind. Easier just not to go. Sad really, as it's the only time I get to meet other non-parents IYSWIM (nannies, but we're on the same wavelength).

    With regards to soft play, we have a huge one near us but I can only go with just DD and one other, again to comply with the EYFS. Actually in this case, I wouldn't want them out of sight anyway as they're just too small and vulnerable. There is a smaller one but it's too far to go and come back within school/pre-school drop off times. Sigh!

  25. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    By the sea
    Posts
    8,830
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sing-low View Post
    This is one of the things that mean that I won't be going to toddler group anymore It is too difficult to get all three children safely in and out while still keeping them within sight or hearing. I would have given up going long ago except for the fact that one of the three is my DD so can be left briefly. I've never needed to change a nappy and only once taken DD to the toilet (that time only had one LO so just took with me. With two, I'd have to put one in the pushchair to keep them safe and help DD. Far too much hassle, to my mind. Easier just not to go. Sad really, as it's the only time I get to meet other non-parents IYSWIM (nannies, but we're on the same wavelength).

    With regards to soft play, we have a huge one near us but I can only go with just DD and one other, again to comply with the EYFS. Actually in this case, I wouldn't want them out of sight anyway as they're just too small and vulnerable. There is a smaller one but it's too far to go and come back within school/pre-school drop off times. Sigh!
    It's very interesting that you say you don't go to groups because of leaving the children. Ofsted are very keen for us to go to groups with the children and i wonder how they would view it if none of us went because we couldn't leave the children to go to the toilet? I'm due an inspection soon, so think I'm going to ask about that

  26. #20
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    It's very interesting that you say you don't go to groups because of leaving the children. Ofsted are very keen for us to go to groups with the children and i wonder how they would view it if none of us went because we couldn't leave the children to go to the toilet? I'm due an inspection soon, so think I'm going to ask about that
    What happens in Childrens Centres for those who attend?
    surely we cannot give up taking children to places where they experience the 'larger' group environment because of the possibility we need to change a nappy?

    this needs to be reflected upon and not have another area where we are worried about our 'well planned' actions?

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Quick Links and Advertisements

Important Information Links
Some Useful Quick Links
Advertisements

 

You can also find us on:
Changing nappies at playgroup Changing nappies at playgroup Changing nappies at playgroup

We use cookies to make this site as useful as possible. They are small text files placed in your browser to track usage of our site but they don’t tell us who you are.
By continuing to use this site you are consenting to cookies being placed on your computer. Find out more here: Cookies in Use

Childminding Help and the Childminding Forum are part of Childcare.co.uk