Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    What happens in Childrens Centres for those who attend?
    surely we cannot give up taking children to places where they experience the 'larger' group environment because of the possibility we need to change a nappy?

this needs to be reflected upon and not have another area where we are worried about our 'well planned' actions?
    Never mind changing a nappy, I cannot last a whole morning without going for a wee! The toilets are too small to take any children in with you and besides, I wouldn't want to anyway. If I had a baby with me I wouldn't lie it on the floor, even if there was room. How can that be better than leaving it with another childminder?

And what about the playgroup run by the CC, or the majority of nurseries where the children are free to go to the toilet, or to wash their hands whenever they want? Is their independence supposed to be limited because they're not allowed to go by themselves?

I know the EYFS says children must always be within sight or hearing, but you have to wonder if anyone actually thought that through?

Registered Childminder since
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    It's very interesting that you say you don't go to groups because of leaving the children. Ofsted are very keen for us to go to groups with the children and i wonder how they would view it if none of us went because we couldn't leave the children to go to the toilet? I'm due an inspection soon, so think I'm going to ask about that
    It's not that I don't go to groups, I'm just going to try not going this week and see if it's better (for the LOs and me). It wasn't just the difficultly of leaving the group but also it clashes with one LOs nap time so we were only able to stay for an hour and then had to race home to get LO to bed. He then didn't sleep for as long as usual. I also felt that I was using too much of the time going places and breaking up their play time. I've been feeling like I keep having to stop play to either go somewhere (group, school run, pre-school pick up) or for nap-time or food. We never seem to have an extended time to play which I think my LOs would really benefit from. Maybe once the nap time changes we'll go back again.

I agree that going to groups is A Good Thing. I only work part-time so LOs are at home with Mum for much of the week. I'm going to ask parents what activities they do when they're not with me (possibly groups) and then try and complement what they do.

I'd be interested to hear what Ofsted have to say about this (and good luck with your inspection!).

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sing-low View Post
    It's not that I don't go to groups, I'm just going to try not going this week and see if it's better (for the LOs and me). It wasn't just the difficultly of leaving the group but also it clashes with one LOs nap time so we were only able to stay for an hour and then had to race home to get LO to bed. He then didn't sleep for as long as usual. I also felt that I was using too much of the time going places and breaking up their play time. I've been feeling like I keep having to stop play to either go somewhere (group, school run, pre-school pick up) or for nap-time or food. We never seem to have an extended time to play which I think my LOs would really benefit from. Maybe once the nap time changes we'll go back again.

I agree that going to groups is A Good Thing. I only work part-time so LOs are at home with Mum for much of the week. I'm going to ask parents what activities they do when they're not with me (possibly groups) and then try and complement what they do.

I'd be interested to hear what Ofsted have to say about this (and good luck with your inspection!).
    I'm pretty much the same as you. All of my mindees are part time. Apart from one of them, the others all attend various other groups with their parents or grandparents, so I don't see a huge need to go very often. I fit our visits around the child who doesn't go to any groups at all, but feel they all really benefit from uninterrupted play at home. To be honest, the group visits are probably more for my benefit!

4. Likes sing-low liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting because that's my Unique selling point! Parents choose me cos I am out and about most days,, we don't have children's centres or childminder groups here so no one I can leave Los with .. I change them before we go and after, the main group I go with has a mat in the main room for changing so that's fine and if I have to take one to loo we all go!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12