Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Child 2.7 yrs can't throw

I have been looking after a little girl who will be 3 in June for 3 months I have noticed over a few weeks that she doesn't throw when we feed the ducks she will hold her arm out then just drop the bread I know lots of children will do that, when playing ball catch she will always walk to you and more or less pass over to you, we had a game using a dice last week she just didn't seem to know how to let go of the dice after awhile would again drop it.
    I have been trying different activities today throwing small bean bags into a board with hole pockets tried to keep her back about 3feet away she would try jumping with arms out leaning forward then would either drop the bean bag or go closer and hold arms out and drop.
    She does carry a blanky toy around a lot also as many teddies as she can hold in 1 arm she tries climbing slide riding bikes soft play carrying these toys so I am always taking them of her so she can safely climb.
    With playing cars/trains she just pushes them backwards and forwards I try to encourage to push them around the tracks
    She can do puzzles may need to be told to put toy down cut with scissors
    I think she needs more time playing when shes not here she goes to groups or out somewhere not at home a lot and is an only child she did have a childminder befoe they moved here 1 - 2 days a week
    We go to 1 group when shes here she likes to walk around carrying cuddly toys or pushing prams
    She is a very social little girl but the chlldren here do find her a bit hard to play with, she talks very well.
    Any ideas I will keep doing rolling and throwing activities as well as lots of general playing
    Sorry so long
    Thanks for reading
    Angela x
    Owner of a static holiday caravan in Paignton

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Try her with throwing and catching a big balloon - risk assess if you have any babies - she might find it fun to wave her arms around trying to grab it and it will help build up her muscles

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

On the bright side, your ornaments are safe for the present...................

4. Likes christine e liked this post
    Dec 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Try her with throwing and catching a big balloon - risk assess if you have any babies - she might find it fun to wave her arms around trying to grab it and it will help build up her muscles
    Hi Sarah I tried balloons today I had another lo here so we played but she wouldn't join in she brought a ball in with her today so I thought great we'll play with it but no she just wanted to carry it around under her arm.
    Will keep trying.

Bunyip my house is ball safe anyway except for lights.
    Angela x

Post Thanks / Like

Have you spoken to her parents about this?

Maybe try throwing bean bags or balls at skittles and record your findings then if there's no improvement suggest parents speak to health visitor?

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

Would she swipe at bubbles or a pinata? Just to get the action started?

8. Likes Maza liked this post
    Dec 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I have spoke to parents and said I am planning activities to encourage her they agree she can't throw we have had a few attempts today she is showing signs of getting better I think she just doesn't know how to
    I will try bubbles next week I thought about waving scarfs/ribbons around to encourage gross arm movement
    Thanks for your replies
    Angela x

10. Likes Maza, lynncjt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Let us know how she goes x