Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Buggy punctures- fed up!

I use 2 buggies- both Phil and teds- 1 is an e3 the other a side by side double. Both have air filled tyres. Last term I had so many punctures! I replaced my e3 tyres with hard wearing tyres and new inner tubes. The side by side had better tyres so I just had them "slimed". Cost me £65 for all 7 tyres to be sorted. 2 weeks into the new year and I have a flat (new inner tune needed) on e3 and another keeps going on own so I guess a slow puncture and will also need a new inner tube. It's so annoying! What can I do? Or do people have any ideas of what buggy is good that can be quickly converted from single to double and back again with nice big but foam filled tyres?! Don't really want to buy new but my e3 has a hole in the top fabric so I have been looking at buying a replacement seat so thought I'd check here first before doing anything.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I know your pain. Just got my first puncture. Waiting for replacement inner tube

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Good old reliable English Maclaren. I have had my double for 14 years now and it is still going strong and I still have the original rain cover, one of my singles is as old and the other single is 7 years old.

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I just don't think things are built to last anymore (gosh I sound old) I am using a silver cross wayfarer still looks great, original cosy toes, no problems with wheels just a couple of new rain covers which aren't as good as original. It's almost 20 years old!

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I got my first puncture too a great big blackthorn right into it. Mended and will see how it goes. will be ordering a couple of spare tyres just in case!

Loved my old Maclaren rickysmiths but totally useless here in the countryside and when i have to get the village bus to get anywhere

My old mountain buggy double terrain has chunkier tyres, they have been good so far, use this buggy round the fields/woods, saving P&T for bus trips
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

6. Likes lilac_dragon liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My local country store that also sells tractors and ride on lawn mowers filled my buggy tyres with the slime they put in ride on lawn mowers! It has lumps of rubber in it to fill any holes ... a year plus on it seems to be working :0)

Post Thanks / Like

I had my t3 slimed and it's been fab. Had a panic attack when I got my first puncture though three on board :-0, tyre deflated even though it had been slimed, I got out pump, pumped it back up, deflated again straight away ahhhh. I rocked pram back and forth, inflated again and hey presto it stayed up. I've since read that if you have them slimed you need to keep them well topped up with air as it's the sharp loss of pressure that activates the slime.

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a graco trekko duo.

B loo d y marvellous!!!

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel View Post
    I have a graco trekko duo.

B loo d y marvellous!!!
    I saw this buggy online but never seen it in the flesh- what's it like folded?

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty big but the wheels pop off with one touch if you need. I have 7 seater car and can get it in the boot with all seven seats in use.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    I just don't think things are built to last anymore (gosh I sound old) I am using a silver cross wayfarer still looks great, original cosy toes, no problems with wheels just a couple of new rain covers which aren't as good as original. It's almost 20 years old!
    Oh I still use my daughter's. 21 years old now but I haven't been able to get a new rain cover where do you get yours?

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    I use 2 buggies- both Phil and teds- 1 is an e3 the other a side by side double. Both have air filled tyres. Last term I had so many punctures! I replaced my e3 tyres with hard wearing tyres and new inner tubes. The side by side had better tyres so I just had them "slimed". Cost me £65 for all 7 tyres to be sorted. 2 weeks into the new year and I have a flat (new inner tune needed) on e3 and another keeps going on own so I guess a slow puncture and will also need a new inner tube. It's so annoying! What can I do? Or do people have any ideas of what buggy is good that can be quickly converted from single to double and back again with nice big but foam filled tyres?! Don't really want to buy new but my e3 has a hole in the top fabric so I have been looking at buying a replacement seat so thought I'd check here first before doing anything.
    I had a puncture with my double out and about nipper, while on walk on remote cycle path - managed to tip it (with 2 toddlers still in) and get back to car on 2 wheels (one of back wheels had puncture), my husband just took out the thorn and mended the puncture and pumped up tyres - why is everyone talking about new inner tubes (can't anyone mend punctures these days)? Or have the inner tubes perished?

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post

I had a puncture with my double out and about nipper, while on walk on remote cycle path - managed to tip it (with 2 toddlers still in) and get back to car on 2 wheels (one of back wheels had puncture), my husband just took out the thorn and mended the puncture and pumped up tyres - why is everyone talking about new inner tubes (can't anyone mend punctures these days)? Or have the inner tubes perished?
    Have to admit to being totally useless on the DIY front! Although usually it takes more than 1 hole for it to go properly. I live in the country and paths are always covered with little bits from trees etc so guess I'm just always going to have issues.

I'm going to have a proper think about what to do next. Thanks for all your help and stories.

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty big but the wheels pop off with one touch if you need. I have 7 seater car and can get it in the boot with all seven seats in use.
    Don't suppose you've had a phil and teds to compare it to?

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    Don't suppose you've had a phil and teds to compare it to?
    No I'm sorry I haven't. Whereabouts are you?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I order new innertubes off of ebay and the valves stick out at the side

I have had one puncture and the worst thing I did was pull out the thorn - don't do it till you get home as it will act as a bung and keep the air in for a short time at least
    Debbie

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you mind me asking which 7 seater you have? I've just got an Audi Q7 and have a Joovy Caboose pushchair which I've just realised doesn't fit with all the seats up. It goes in easily enough but the boot won't shut because the wheel sticks out too much. I'm only going to need all 7 seats up one day a week but I will need a double pushchair of some kind that day too.

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrudiR View Post
    Do you mind me asking which 7 seater you have? I've just got an Audi Q7 and have a Joovy Caboose pushchair which I've just realised doesn't fit with all the seats up. It goes in easily enough but the boot won't shut because the wheel sticks out too much. I'm only going to need all 7 seats up one day a week but I will need a double pushchair of some kind that day too.
    I've got a Peugeot 807.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Now I need to find people with a selection of doubles to see what fits!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have puncture problems with my T3 Jogger. Would like to get them slimed (I'm too keggy-handed to do anything useful for myself) but the shop will only do it if I have all 4 renewed and slimed all at once, at great expense.

The LA is getting really mean and will only pay out a claim for broken glass on the pavement if you can prove the glass was reported to them more than 2 full working days before the puncture happened. it's probably cheaper to buy inner tubes than to keep phoning them and still having to wait from Thursday to Tuesday before I can use a particular stretch of pavement again.

.....and don't get me started on the times I've swerved to avoid broken glass only to plough straight through a dollop of dogsh1t.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast