Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: juice or water

Registered Childminder since
    Decembe
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

If a child wont drink all day they are with you, surely its more important they drink something, than a battle of wills and they are dehydrated by the end of the day. They surely cannot feel very well if they go that long, so I would give juice and over time make it weaker.

Its the childs wellbeing at stake. If a parent knowingly let their child dehydrate, they would be neglectful in their duty of care, same for us.

And deprive me of my coffee if you dare !!

2. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    My mindees are all pre-schoolers. They have water freely available all day. At morning snack they have milk, at lunch they have water or diluted squash or juice and at afternoon snack they have water. Of the 8 mindees I have over the week, 5 are happy with water at lunchtime, but the other 3 prefer squash.

Personally, i don't see the need to ban squash or juice completely. Most of them drink it at home, so one weak squash a day for the 2 or 3 days a week they are with me isn't going to do them any harm.

A lot of children don't like water. What is so wrong with them having a preference? If a child really disliked a certain food, would we continue to give it to them and offer no alternative at all? I have seen people say "only offer water. If they are really thirsty they will drink it". Well, I can tell you, they won't. Many children would rather go a whole day without a drink than have water. How can that be good for them?

As an adult, how would you feel if you were told that for a whole day you could only drink water? It would suit some adults, just as it suits some children, but I guess the majority would be far from happy.
    Well said Mouse - I offer the same as you - children have free access to water at all times, at morning snack they have milk, at lunch they have weak squash (if they want another drink at lunch then it's water), rest of day they drink water. I drink very weak squash myself as I don't get much time to make myself a cup of tea (or if I do I forget to drink it). I believe in everything in moderation.

4. Likes Dragonfly, Mouse liked this post
    oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

oK YES I appreciate that water is better. BUT some kids ( my youngest for example) will just not drink water at all. He will go all day ( 8 hours+) with nothing to drink if only water available. Kids can be VERY stubborn!

Well diluted squash is 100% better than a child going all day with no fluid intake.
    Neither of my older 2 sons would drink water when they were younger but with being allowed well diluted squash that gradually gets weaker they both now drink water. They prefer squash but will drink water if there is no alternative.

Anyone who allows a young child to go all day with no fluid intake just because they have some sort of problem with a child drinking squash should not in IMO be looking after kids. The health and well being of the child is paramount. They will suffer far greater negative side effects from long term dehydration than they ever will from some well diluted squash.

6. Likes Mouse liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

TBH I don't really like just water! I like flavoured water or squash, mostly tea if I'm honest! and I would rather a child had squash than not drink! At present most of mine drink water anyway, but I had one boy who hated water, even at school he had a drinks bottle that you couldn't see thro so he could have squash in it!

At the end of the day it is the parents who would normally start giving a child squash, so if they are happy for their child to have it, I don't really think ifs my place to disagree. I can suggest milk or water but if they won't drink it squash they have!

8. Likes little chickee liked this post
    Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blueeyedminder View Post
    I personally think it's ridiculous that a child isn't allowed juice, Surely it's up to the parents what their children drink not ****** Ofsted! Glad I live in Wales not England, control freaks!!
    Giving squash (which is what the OP poster is dealing with) is still not within the guidelines in Wales so technically a CSSIW inspector may take issue with it.

Our guidelines state that although milk or water are the only safe drinks we are able to give diluted fresh juice (1:10) at meal times.

sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    Can you take the juice mum sends and slowly slowly slowly dilute it until child is drinking water? I too only offer milk or water b... But for all mindees. I don't have squash in the house, and rarely juice.
    I would do this too but also

Only give the diluted juice with meals. This was the recommendation if you wanted to give juice when I did a healthy eating course. Give her water at other times. At least you know she is getting fluid throughout the day but at the same time your discouraging the juice drinking

Dec07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

My house, my business and my rules!
    I give squash to those that don't drink water.

Ofsted can go jump! I'm a childminder not a dictator!!

12. Likes christine e, Chimps Childminding liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emma04 View Post
    My house, my business and my rules!
    I give squash to those that don't drink water.

Ofsted can go jump! I'm a childminder not a dictator!!
    I know it is the norm now, but I remember when my daughters school introduced "fruit only" for mid morning break - the school had lots of children from poorer backgrounds / free school meals, I used to help with reading and worked with lots of these children - many of them didn't have any breakfast before school and had to manage to lunch time with just an apple and a few sips of water from the water fountain while the teachers were in the staff room stuffing chocolate biscuits and swilling back coffee.

14. Likes lilac_dragon, christine e liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really don't see the issue with kids having diluted squash! Jeez if that's the worst they do then I think they're doing fine!! Everything in moderation glad I'm not dictated to my ofsted! One of the twins will drink for England whatever it is. The other likes a bit of flavour, don't see anything wrong with it and it's so obvious of he's just given water that he don't drink as his nappy is dry and that's not good! I wouldn't force a certain food on a child.

And shoot me now but I give them a bit of chocolate too now and then! I was brought up in squash and I'm fine!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manjay View Post
    Giving squash (which is what the OP poster is dealing with) is still not within the guidelines in Wales so technically a CSSIW inspector may take issue with it. Our guidelines state that although milk or water are the only safe drinks we are able to give diluted fresh juice (1:10) at meal times.
    I can't find this in the minimum standards.. Besides it's up to the parents what their child is and is not allowed to drink not CSSIW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Supernanny86 View Post
    And shoot me now but I give them a bit of chocolate too now and then! I was brought up in squash and I'm fine!!
    I take mine to McDonald's occasionally

18. Likes christine e liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we should shoot yummy ripples, macdonalds... are you kidding! Complete junk food.... *dreams about a cheeseburger*

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charlottenash View Post
    I think we should shoot yummy ripples, macdonalds... are you kidding! Complete junk food.... *dreams about a cheeseburger*
    Charlotte you'll need to shoot me too then!! Lol I go there very occasionally. Maybe 4 times in the year and half I've had the twins. I'm not the only one around here! All in moderation! Everything else is fresh and cooked from scratch! I should know I cook it all!! If someone denied me alcohol I'd shoot them!! *that reminds me the ratatouille batch will not do itself!!** nearly cut my finger off last time as I continued cutting whilst crying because of the onion!!

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I understand the reasons behind the water ruling and agree with it in principle but until it becomes 'law' for parents too we will always be in this difficult situation.
    If children are only offered water and milk from weaning stage they will naturally drink it. If they are offered from weaning something in their water they will build up a preference for that......then the government are saying it is up to childcare to sort it.

The government cannot insist that children only drink water in our care if they don't back it up with penalties for parents who give their children squash and still allow companies to sell it!

Whilst most children easily move over to the water only some individuals don't and not only for stubbornness, also because they are not used to drinking it. I think if your policy is only water, milk or diluted fruit juice and ofsted can see evidence that you are trying to implement this policy, with possibly an RA in place and a plan to wean a child off squash then I am sure they will be happy- daft that we have to go to this trouble but we have to jump through so many hoops in order to prove our worth unfortunately. I would love to make a stand, but it is not worth jeopardising my business grading for.
    A parent of mine is trying to support this by weaning her son off squash with natural elderflower - it says no added ingredients...and herb drinks like fennel, these are very weak, and 'supposedly' slightly better than fruit squash....... At least she is trying.

22. Likes lilac_dragon liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We all seem to try very hard, then we go to toddler groups (ours are run by Surestart and the Childrens' Centre) where they give the children juice and biscuits

24. Likes FloraDora, dawn100, AliceK liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Super nanny I was joking

26. Likes christine e liked this post
    Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    I understand the reasons behind the water ruling and agree with it in principle but until it becomes 'law' for parents too we will always be in this difficult situation.
    If children are only offered water and milk from weaning stage they will naturally drink it. If they are offered from weaning something in their water they will build up a preference for that......then the government are saying it is up to childcare to sort it.

The government cannot insist that children only drink water in our care if they don't back it up with penalties for parents who give their children squash and still allow companies to sell it!

Whilst most children easily move over to the water only some individuals don't and not only for stubbornness, also because they are not used to drinking it. I think if your policy is only water, milk or diluted fruit juice and ofsted can see evidence that you are trying to implement this policy, with possibly an RA in place and a plan to wean a child off squash then I am sure they will be happy- daft that we have to go to this trouble but we have to jump through so many hoops in order to prove our worth unfortunately. I would love to make a stand, but it is not worth jeopardising my business grading for.
    A parent of mine is trying to support this by weaning her son off squash with natural elderflower - it says no added ingredients...and herb drinks like fennel, these are very weak, and 'supposedly' slightly better than fruit squash....... At least she is trying.
    I have been resisting replying to this thread as it can make me really irate. My dd when a baby and a toddler suffered from severe constipation and still is prone to it now. It was so bad she had anal tears, had paediatric referral where to cut a long story short the consultant asked about her diet - all very healthy plenty veg and fruit, he then went on to ask about what she drank - I replied only milk and water - consultant then recommended we give her very weak squash or diluated juice as he thought the additional liquid and the drinks themselves would help her as he said although people say if you only give them water they will drink if they are really thirsty which is true but there is a difference between drinking enough to stop you from becoming dehydrated and you being fully hydrated with all your insides working as they should be. My dd was never dehydrated and passed normal amounts of urine just needs plenty of fluid and fruit to pass normal stools.
    If a child came to us and was a vegan or vegetarian some doctors recommend avoiding these diets in babies and young children as it can be difficult to get the nutrients needed, we wouldn't be telling parents that they should have a diet including meat (please don't anyone think I'm having a go at people whi feed their children vegetarian food because I'm not) we would be respecting their wishes whether we agreed with it or not! However when it comes to the dreaded squash we no longer respect parents wishes. In my house if parents want their child to have dilute squash or juice they have that at meal times provided by the parents, milk is offered at snack times and then a drinks bottle with water in is available all day.

28. Likes Mouse liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charlottenash View Post
    Super nanny I was joking
    I know you were Charlotte! I was too!

30. Likes christine e liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dawn100 View Post
    I have been resisting replying to this thread as it can make me really irate. My dd when a baby and a toddler suffered from severe constipation and still is prone to it now. It was so bad she had anal tears, had paediatric referral where to cut a long story short the consultant asked about her diet - all very healthy plenty veg and fruit, he then went on to ask about what she drank - I replied only milk and water - consultant then recommended we give her very weak squash or diluated juice as he thought the additional liquid and the drinks themselves would help her as he said although people say if you only give them water they will drink if they are really thirsty which is true but there is a difference between drinking enough to stop you from becoming dehydrated and you being fully hydrated with all your insides working as they should be. My dd was never dehydrated and passed normal amounts of urine just needs plenty of fluid and fruit to pass normal stools.
    If a child came to us and was a vegan or vegetarian some doctors recommend avoiding these diets in babies and young children as it can be difficult to get the nutrients needed, we wouldn't be telling parents that they should have a diet including meat (please don't anyone think I'm having a go at people whi feed their children vegetarian food because I'm not) we would be respecting their wishes whether we agreed with it or not! However when it comes to the dreaded squash we no longer respect parents wishes. In my house if parents want their child to have dilute squash or juice they have that at meal times provided by the parents, milk is offered at snack times and then a drinks bottle with water in is available all day.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to cause offence.
    Of course there are situations like yours where recommendations come from health professionals and I should have acknowledged this in my reply.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem arises for me when I have two or. Three parents. Who are completely against juice, and others who bring their children in with it. I tend to have squash at home, I do like water, but squash adds a little more taste! I would worry about anyone, adult or child, who had no variation in their diet and ate and drank the same thing everyday. I think providing we offer water and milk aswell as any other tasty drinks, then Ofsted can't complain. And it's not as if you Can't buy sugar free, organic, high juice these days anyway!!

The whole no juice at all did stem from Ofsted, and being "school-ready" and a small part of me agrees, if we are caring for these children well surely apart Of That means getting them ready for an environment That They will be in for the next few years, that only supplies water!!

If I was in a situation where my mindees would not have any water at all and would rather go all day without, rather than behaving like a child myself, I would look to ways to help encourage other liquids. For example, making fruit smoothies together, making fruit ice lollies, diluting squash until barely anything in it, popping fresh fruit in water...anything other than let them go thirsty!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast