Likes Likes:  41
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: juice or water

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blueeyedminder View Post
    I can't find this in the minimum standards.. Besides it's up to the parents what their child is and is not allowed to drink not CSSIW
    Standard 12.2 states that we have due regard for the Welsh Assembly's Food and Health Guidelines for Early Years and Childcare Settings.

Of course it is entirely up to you what you do in your business but for any other Welsh members reading the recommendations are definitely there

Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Our school allow juice in packed lunches?

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Ds has squash for lunch but water in the class for access all day. Personally I dont like under 1s having anything other than milk or water but over 1s I give weak squash at parents request.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charlottenash View Post
    Our school allow juice in packed lunches?
    I know for our local primary schools, it's water only during the day, they don't allow any other drinks unless you have medical reasons to do so. It's mad because you see parents with various cans of fizzy drinks and the second the doors open the children run to their moms and crack a fizzy drink open!! A bit like me I suppose with the wine at 6pm haha

Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    Sorry, I didn't mean to cause offence.
    Of course there are situations like yours where recommendations come from health professionals and I should have acknowledged this in my reply.
    You didn't cause offence, sorry wasnt aiming my reply at you.

In response to getting children ready for school at my childrens schools they are allowed juice and squash in their lunch but only water in class. So I do the same here, dilute juice or water at meal times if parents want and they supply, water available at all other times.

6. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Milk and water - we don't have squash or fruit juices in the house.

Out of interest does everyone who does supply squash or give it supplied from parents clean each childs teeth afterwards? I went on a course and the sugar that erodes teeth from drinks is shocking, over a time there were examples of the childrens teeth decaying and turning black because of the time that the sugar was on them. Very similar to children still having a bottle in their bed at night with juice in it incase they woke up.
    Debbie

Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I drink fruit juice, I also have coke from time to time. I don't brush my teeth after, and my teeth are beautifully white and clean

Nov 09
    Post Thanks / Like

We have milk, water or squash.... never had pure juice in the house as it is dreadful for the teeth. I do have squash and serve it weak. My son only drinks water (14 now) he prefers it, unfortunately my dd doesn't like it and when she was 14 mths was quite poorly with a viral infection.....The hospital gave her juice and said she needs ANY fluids and yes in an ideal world water is best, but we have to do what is right for each child. She has water at school, but hardly drinks it and gets terrible headaches because of it :0(
    I would be more concerned about dehydrated children than their teeth, after all parents need to also take responsibility..... We can advice all we like can't we, but if parents want to give them juice, fizzy pop etc at home then that is their choice......plus I was brought up on squash, milk, tea and coffee and the odd fizzy pop and at 43 have 3 fillings :0)

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox Childcare View Post

Out of interest does everyone who does supply squash or give it supplied from parents clean each childs teeth afterwards? I went on a course and the sugar that erodes teeth from drinks is shocking, over a time there were examples of the childrens teeth decaying and turning black because of the time that the sugar was on them. Very similar to children still having a bottle in their bed at night with juice in it incase they woke up.
    My mindees have weak squash only at lunch time, they then get down and play for half an hour (as I find they all poo after lunch), then they clean their teeth (I supply a brush each and the toothpaste) and go up for a nap. They have milk for morning snack and water rest of day. I never have and never will give juice or squash or tea in a bottle.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox Childcare View Post

I dont as the parents havent provided a tooth brush for their darlings. But as a side point i was told that milk does similar as it also contains sugars.

Simona Guest

We could have the whole of 54,000 cms inputting in this thread and each one will have his/her own rules

Personally I feel it is a question of finding a balance and agreement with the parents...milk and water are possibly the best for children
    I would agree with parents that squash and juice is given only once a day with a meal and well diluted but I would never give it in a beaker where children sip from all day...would any parent object? don't know ...no one ever has

All children will eventually agree to follow our rules and that is part of their development and understanding boundaries
    At one of the most recent meetings with EY the dietician gave us one of those talks about Healthy eating and suggested juice can be given as long as it is diluted...that's good enough for me and should be too...she is a professional....and should be for Ofsted too.

13. Likes hectors house, dawn100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Throughout the day I offer milk water or squash to all the children in my care. (Over 2's). All the parents have commented on how they like the fact the children are offered different drinks throughout the day / week. If I feel a child is drinking to much if one thing then I simply take a choice away and offers the other two. Everything in moderation is just fine in my book.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Childrens Food Trust | The Eat Better, Start Better programme | For childminders

I follow this guidance. They seem to know what they are talking about, based on health issues.

Water or milk throughout the day, diluted fruit juice at lunch.

Post Thanks / Like

I have also got this issue, as one of my little ones was very poorly when an infant and had to re-hydrate rapidly, they were abroad, and she was really poorly and just wouldn't drink enough water, and was advised by doctors to get her to drink anything to make her better, ever since she will not drink water only and will also go all day without drinking if necessary. Another one has started to drink squash at home and also will not drink water anymore, and screams the house down if I try and stick to water, mum and dad give in all the time so I don't get the back up. I have tried to limit her squash, telling her she can have 1 cup full, then its water but the tantrums and screaming is horrible, and then her mum took her to the doctor and he said watered down squash is absolutely fine, its vitally important to let them drink as much as they need. So if OFSTED pick me up I will refer them to the doctor....

Dec 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all very much for your replies and opinions. I have come to the conclusion that if my mindee refused to drink anything all day it would be more detrimental to her health than letting her have squash. So I am watering down her squash as much as possible . The childrens welfare is the most important thing here and therefore mum has written me a note for the childs file giving me permission .
    Julie X X

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123