Where do i stand?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Where do i stand?

    HI all need advice please
    So I have been minding since October all is going well I have most of my spaces filled. I live with my parents currently and obviously I mind from here and it works well. now the thing is I got engaged at Xmas and we have just started to look at properties to rent in our minds thinking that it will be in 3 or 4 months. Well on Sunday we viewed a few and typically came across the perfect house for me and my partner, perfect for my childminding and is much more suitable and it's in our price range.
    I have not yet had my graded inspection- so would I be able to move into a new property in a month or so without being graded? Would they allow it and just immediately come and grade me once I'm in?
    If anyone has been in this or a similar situation please enlighten me.
    Sorry for going on.
    X

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Also I think parents would be fine with the short notice as it is only minutes from where I live and they will see straight away that it will be a better place for their children! X

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    2,864
    Registered Childminder since
    2011
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Sorry can't advise as am in Ireland just want to say congrats on your engagement!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    2,188
    Registered Childminder since
    June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Congratulations on your engagement

    I don't want to put a dampener on things but before you go too far into the process, make sure your Landlord will allow you to Childmind from the property. There have been a few threads lately where CM's have found their perfect house and then all their plans fall through because their Landlord has said no.

    Good luck with your new home, business & pending marriage
    Toothfairy

  5. Likes Goatgirl, rickysmiths liked this post
  6. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    over the hills and far away...
    Posts
    1,183
    Registered Childminder since
    july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hi ,
    You just need to let Ofsted know you are moving and need to continue childminding from your new home. They can't tell you you're not allowed to move house. You just need to do as yiou have in your current premises and ensure yu risk assess and make the house safe for the children you look after
    They sometimes come out and do an inspection of the new property - possibly it might prompt your first graded inspection - sometimes they ask for floor plans risk asessements etc, but sometimes just issue a new certificate with the new address on it. Some childminders have had to hassle them for the new certificate/ written confirmation that they can legally mind from the new premises as they can take their time.
    I would just ring Ofsted and see what they say. Be good to get them to email you too, so you have something in writing.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothfairy View Post
    Congratulations on your engagement I don't want to put a dampener on things but before you go too far into the process, make sure your Landlord will allow you to Childmind from the property. There have been a few threads lately where CM's have found their perfect house and then all their plans fall through because their Landlord has said no. Good luck with your new home, business & pending marriage
    Thank you toothfairy
    We have already discussed this with the landlord and he is absolutely fine with it, he seems a really reasonable bloke thank fully.
    X

  8. Likes Toothfairy liked this post
  9. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goatgirl View Post
    Hi , You just need to let Ofsted know you are moving and need to continue childminding from your new home. They can't tell you you're not allowed to move house. You just need to do as yiou have in your current premises and ensure yu risk assess and make the house safe for the children you look after They sometimes come out and do an inspection of the new property - possibly it might prompt your first graded inspection - sometimes they ask for floor plans risk asessements etc, but sometimes just issue a new certificate with the new address on it. Some childminders have had to hassle them for the new certificate/ written confirmation that they can legally mind from the new premises as they can take their time. I would just ring Ofsted and see what they say. Be good to get them to email you too, so you have something in writing.
    Goat girl you have just answered all my questions and concerns!! Thankyou very much! I was worrying it would be a bigger deal than that. It would make perfect sense that they would just come and do my first grading soon after we move in. Thanks again!! X

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    MORE HELP PLEASE!

    ok so the application for the house has been approved but my partner doesn't currently live with me therefore doesn't have a DBS check.
    So my next question is would I have to stay working from my parents home until his check has come back? He is at work every day 6.45 am til 5pm but I'm sure he'd have to be DBS checked before I could work at the new house??
    Thanks x

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lincoln
    Posts
    562
    Registered Childminder since
    July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My understanding would be yes his DBS needs to be in place before you can mind at a property where he is resident, my DH is rarely here when my mindees are but still had to be checked.

    Sam x

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,857
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ring and check,ds DBS took three days so you might be lucky.

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blue bear View Post
    Ring and check,ds DBS took three days so you might be lucky.
    WOW 3 days! That would be amazing. I'll ring first thing in the morning. This has all moved a little faster than we expected. Thanks x

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    978
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    You might be in a lucky position that you could move into your new house, and keep on minding at your parents until you are all sorted!

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by k1rstie View Post
    You might be in a lucky position that you could move into your new house, and keep on minding at your parents until you are all sorted!
    Yes that Ivan easily be done and not at all a problem. Surely Ofsted will be ok with this? X

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    st albans
    Posts
    1,194
    Registered Childminder since
    aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well done. Getting engaged and finding the best place. Go for it!!

  17. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Somewhere West of Watford!!!
    Posts
    9,085
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Natalierose View Post
    Thank you toothfairy
    We have already discussed this with the landlord and he is absolutely fine with it, he seems a really reasonable bloke thank fully.
    X
    Please please please get this permission in writing before you sign anything. Ofsted will want it in writing anyway.

  18. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
  19. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Neverland
    Posts
    2,137
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Please please please get this permission in writing before you sign anything. Ofsted will want it in writing anyway.
    Agree with RS, there was a thread on here not so long ago where the CM was under the impression she had permission (was given verbally by the agent) but when she moved in she hadn't.

    I'll see if I can find the thread....


    Edited:
    Found it
    http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...1-what-do.html
    Last edited by Kiddleywinks; 17-01-2014 at 06:48 AM.

  20. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    127
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Firstly congrats

    And secondly, check with Ofsted about the DBS, when my partner moved in they wouldn't check him before we actually lived together and then they said just to risk assess the situation while he was living here and the DBS was coming through, which took months! I just had to ensure he was never left alone with the children, that was the main thing. Ask them what you should do.

    Jx

  21. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Just spoke to a very helpful lady at Ofsted. We can move in together and I can work from there as long as the DBS has been submitted and I don't leave him alone with the children.

    I will now call them back and ask what they need regarding permission from the landlord.

    Thanks to you all x

  22. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Somewhere West of Watford!!!
    Posts
    9,085
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Natalierose View Post
    Just spoke to a very helpful lady at Ofsted. We can move in together and I can work from there as long as the DBS has been submitted and I don't leave him alone with the children.

    I will now call them back and ask what they need regarding permission from the landlord.

    Thanks to you all x

    You need a letter from your Landlord giving you permission to conduct your Childminding from his house. He will need to check with his Mortgage Company if he has one if they are happy for you to work in the house and he will have to check with his insurers as well. You may have to prompt him that he has to check. When he has and if all are happy you need it in writing that it is ok for you to proceed otherwise you could find he could walk in one day or his agent if he has one could and say you can't work and then you are stuffed.

    Even if Ofsted say they don't want a letter you would be well advised to get one. I used to be a Director on a free hold Company and if a childminder wrote to us and asked permission to work we would always write back confirming that was fine as long as they were correctly registered and insured and asked for a copy of Reg Cert and PLI Cert for our records. If any Directors found someone had not asked permission to run a business they were quite hard on them as it put our buildings insurance in jeopardy if we did not have the correct information.

    Remember it is not all about Ofsted and what they may or may not want. You are a business woman and you need to protect your business especially if you are in rented or Leasehold properties and even more so if you are in a Rented Leasehold property.

  23. Likes Toothfairy liked this post
  24. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    You need a letter from your Landlord giving you permission to conduct your Childminding from his house. He will need to check with his Mortgage Company if he has one if they are happy for you to work in the house and he will have to check with his insurers as well. You may have to prompt him that he has to check. When he has and if all are happy you need it in writing that it is ok for you to proceed otherwise you could find he could walk in one day or his agent if he has one could and say you can't work and then you are stuffed. Even if Ofsted say they don't want a letter you would be well advised to get one. I used to be a Director on a free hold Company and if a childminder wrote to us and asked permission to work we would always write back confirming that was fine as long as they were correctly registered and insured and asked for a copy of Reg Cert and PLI Cert for our records. If any Directors found someone had not asked permission to run a business they were quite hard on them as it put our buildings insurance in jeopardy if we did not have the correct information. Remember it is not all about Ofsted and what they may or may not want. You are a business woman and you need to protect your business especially if you are in rented or Leasehold properties and even more so if you are in a Rented Leasehold property.
    Thank you for this!!
    I will get it sorted. X

  25. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Quick Links and Advertisements

Important Information Links
Some Useful Quick Links
Advertisements

 

You can also find us on:
Where do i stand? Where do i stand? Where do i stand?

We use cookies to make this site as useful as possible. They are small text files placed in your browser to track usage of our site but they don’t tell us who you are.
By continuing to use this site you are consenting to cookies being placed on your computer. Find out more here: Cookies in Use

Childminding Help and the Childminding Forum are part of Childcare.co.uk