Cats and child minding.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Glitter Guest

Default Cats and child minding.

Hello,
    My daughter would like to get a cat. I have done all the risk assessments and worked out how to keep the cat away from mindees during the day.

What else do I have to do and can anyone give me any advice on minding with cats in the house. Thank you.

Registered Childminder since
    June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You must ensure all vaccinations, flea and worm treatments are upto date. I don't keep my cat away from minded children they love him but I do supervise the interaction because they are little and are sometimes rough and I don't want him lashing out with his claws.

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a policy in pets (We have a cat also)
    It mainly cover things like I will worm, flea treat cat etc, teaching children to respect animals i.e only to fuss animals if they come to them and I am present etc.
    To be honest I have had no issues as our cat hides upstairs until children all leave lol, he is 8 now though.
    Food bowls and cats things are kept out of reach of children and we don't have a litter tray in the house anymore either.
    I also advertise and include the cat as part of our family and make sure people know we have a cat before any visits incase if allergies or generally not liking pets in home etc.
    Hope some of that info helps. xx

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have 4 cats! Again as the others said you need to ensure that they are wormed, vaccinated and flea treated regularly. I supervise the children with them. I ensure any litter tray is not accessible by the children. They are taught not to touch their food & water and to respect them. Wash hands after petting etc.

Some children have had a scratch but I talk to parents before they start and say that I will do my best to prevent but it can happen if the children are rough. I am in a rural area and most people have pets and the parents have not been bothered some say will do them good to learn. I do fill accident forms in when it happens it is rare though, think I have done 3 in 5 years. I tell parents from first contact that I have animals.

If you are letting the cat outside you will also need to poo check - our only outdoor cat has found a spot at the very end of the garden that she likes so it is a bit like having a dog!

Of my cats one will stay upstairs the whole time that children are here. One will come to visit them have a fuss she has been with me from a kitten and I was childminding when she came. One comes and goes likes a fuss then hides. The 4th I only got on Friday and we are getting to know each other (vacancy came available due to death of cat at new year).

Glitter Guest

Thank you all for your replies. I feel a little better about my daughter having a cat now, I was a little apprehensive about the cat being around the younger children but as long as I supervise them it should be fine.

Looks like we will be getting a cat soon