theme for January tips needed
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    may 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default theme for January tips needed

I was thinking of doing a transport theme for january and maybe longer but need some ideas??
    Going on a bus taking pictures of all different forms of transport coloring pictures painting with cars using they wheels
    making a car out of a box is what I had so far any others ideas would be gratefully received
    thank you lovely forum

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Using electrical tape to make roads on the floor or tuff spot for cars.
    Put a roll of lining paper on the floor and put paint on the wheels and get children to see how far children can push them and measure the paint marks.
    Junk model vehicles
    Make a traffic light
    Maybe look at road safety?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I try to focus my themes on the time of year / seasons/ weather conditions / special events in the community etc. January we are doing winter and will be exploring ice, snow, winter animals, birds (and RSPB big garden birdwatch) - then at the end of Jan we will think about summer in Australia because it's Australia Day lol!!

I find it easier to go with what is happening outside ...

If you have children who are really into transport then maybe take their favourite ways of travelling and do a few days on each - car, bus, train ... then introduce them to boat travel as something different.

Hth

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorting - those that have wheels and those that don't, sorting by air/land/water, sort cars by colour
    adding ramps to car area
    role play bus/train - mine loved 'swiping' tickets that I collected and then they made their own in the writing area - just little squiggles on each but a lovely mark making activity
    Make a track on large paper, add blocks to make bridges, farm animals so that they can pass a farm, a bowl of water so that they can go around he pond - lots of lovely positional language
    Make a little construction site with diggers etc using natural materials - pebbles/sand
    How old are the children?

may 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Sorting - those that have wheels and those that don't, sorting by air/land/water, sort cars by colour
    adding ramps to car area
    role play bus/train - mine loved 'swiping' tickets that I collected and then they made their own in the writing area - just little squiggles on each but a lovely mark making activity
    Make a track on large paper, add blocks to make bridges, farm animals so that they can pass a farm, a bowl of water so that they can go around he pond - lots of lovely positional language
    Make a little construction site with diggers etc using natural materials - pebbles/sand
    How old are the children?
    Thank u everyone some really great ideas
    ive got one 17 month old and a new girl starting who is nearly 4 .

may 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kidston View Post
    Using electrical tape to make roads on the floor or tuff spot for cars.
    Put a roll of lining paper on the floor and put paint on the wheels and get children to see how far children can push them and measure the paint marks.
    Junk model vehicles
    Make a traffic light
    Maybe look at road safety?
    Thank u I just thought of doing that on the floor gpnna have fun doing tape everywhere
    yes junk modeling great idea ill do that

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Counting cars, doing a survey of the types of vehicles on the road, colour counting, so you each have a colour as you walk you count each persons chosen colour to see who wins.
    Cardboard box made into a bus or boats etc.
    Junk modelling vehicle making.
    Books from the library
    Play doh vehicle cutters
    Clay make vehicles
    The range do a lovely wooden vehicle modelling lit it's about £1,50 per model I think.
    Vehicle tracks in differnt medium, so shaving foam, sand, mud, cocoa powder, corn flour
    Diggers with cereal, great crunchy sounds.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Jan planning

I need to start my planning. I have been doing it very adhoc really and need to knuckle down and do some forward planning.
    Other than weather what else do people do for Jan?

9. Likes wendy latimer liked this post
    Decembe
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it only me ? But I think the under 3s especially are too young to really plan for ? I just go with the flow really, if they show a special interest out come more of the same, or colouring in pictures related to it, or playdough, anything to sort of link it and bring them on. But no real plan.

Even over 3s are not so easy to plan for, they do their own thing, I will leave, say, winter related things and gently show them etc and follow it thriugh, but mostly its following their lead.

Maybe it should be more structured ? I dont know

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chriss View Post
    Is it only me ? But I think the under 3s especially are too young to really plan for ? I just go with the flow really, if they show a special interest out come more of the same, or colouring in pictures related to it, or playdough, anything to sort of link it and bring them on. But no real plan. Even over 3s are not so easy to plan for, they do their own thing, I will leave, say, winter related things and gently show them etc and follow it thriugh, but mostly its following their lead. Maybe it should be more structured ? I dont know
    That sounds very sensible to me. Anytime I try and do something even remotely structured with the two year old she is not interested. Following her interests gets more results.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've usually done winter or being healthy in Jan but this year I'm going to have a book of the week and my first bunch are all about the world and the different people and countries which will link in to Australia Day and Chinese New year.

13. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never properly planned before, just gone with what special days there are etc. I'm considering starting planning now though as I think it might be easier for me. How do you link Australia Day and Chinese New Year into the eyfs? Probably a silly question

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blue bear View Post
    Counting cars, doing a survey of the types of vehicles on the road, colour counting, so you each have a colour as you walk you count each persons chosen colour to see who wins.
    Cardboard box made into a bus or boats etc.
    Junk modelling vehicle making.
    Books from the library
    Play doh vehicle cutters
    Clay make vehicles
    The range do a lovely wooden vehicle modelling lit it's about £1,50 per model I think.
    Vehicle tracks in differnt medium, so shaving foam, sand, mud, cocoa powder, corn flour
    Diggers with cereal, great crunchy sounds.
    I found lovely survey sheets on Sparklebox - one was for colour of cars, so we sat on a bench on our housing estate and recorded those, the other one was for types of vehicles - so we sat on a bench at a bus stop on a busier junction and recorded those - then we made a pictogram (again the chart and cars from sparklebox) to visually show the number of which coloured cars.

But we did this to follow a couple of childrens interest in transport and also we did it in the Summer (when it was warm and dry)! So maybe change planning to weather recording for the time being - we couldn't keep up yesterday with changing our weather chart - in the South West we had rain, wind, hail stones (that were big enough to smash through barn roof sheets - My hubby works in a Builders Merchants and had lots of calls), thunder and lightening and then occasional sunshine!