Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: coughing child

Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default coughing child

Children arrived this morning an one child was coughing an mum said oh he has a cough, with all the dry weather ...... Dry weather!!!!!??????? What dry weather???????? she ran off to work,
    Child's cough is awful an losing his voice, am concerned as this child has had croupe twice the past two years around this time of year an has had to be rushed to hospital unable to breath properly, I asked the child if he has seen a doctor an he said he was taken to hospital on Christmas cos he couldnt breath! An as he was telling me his older brother butted in an said no that was last christmas, I feel mum is telling the children to lie, as I have had this before when child has been I'll an when I have picked up from school I have asked if they r ok an this child has said no I was sick last night but mum told me not to tell you!!!!
    Do you think it would be wrong for me to ask mum to get me confirmation from the doctors that its not croupe?
    Hate being lied too!!!!!!!!

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

maybe send the mum a message and ask her to call you. I would then point blank ask her. You need to have an honest relationship with parents where you can trust each other or it wont work. Maybe you need to remind her of this fact during the conversation. I find it is always better to initiate these conversations as parents will be reluctant in case you send the children home.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried to call her no answer so sent her a message still nothing I'll keep trying if no joy I'll talk to her when she picks him up.
    Think I'll be telling her I will not accept him tomorrow if he hasn't seen a doctor, due to his history im on edge trying to make all activities chilled as he is coughing at the slightest thing. Poor little thing
    Can't believe it hasn't been her first thought to take him the doctors with what has happened in the past with him, she has finished work now as she only works 2 hours a day, but I have them till 4 so its not like she will have to miss work or struggle getting out of work.

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I know parents have to work but with the lo history and such a nasty cough wouldn't you get them to the doc ASAP, better to be cautious.

Hope lo is ok and parents have been honest with you.

Glitter Guest

I would be worried if the parent is not answering her phone or replying to messages. If her child got worse and she was not answering her phone you might have to seek medical help for the child yourself.

If you are going to talk to the mother about taking the child to the doctor than I would also point out the importance of answering calls or messages for you as soon as possible. I hope the child is feeling better soon.

Sept08
    Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to pitch in that I also have a really nasty cough and have lost my voice but I don't have croup. The child may simply have a cough associated with a cold, there are some really nasty bugs going around. Try not to panic, keep an eye on the cough - do you know what a croupy cough sounds like? If not google it, it's quite distinctive. If you are at all worried about breathing dial 999 immediately and try and get hold of parent/other emergency contact once paramedics are on the way.

With regards to mum not answering phone you could try withholding your number and calling and see if that makes any difference or calling from a number she doesn't know. Of course the parent may well have just forgotten her phone, accidentally knocked it onto silent, be in a non-signal area or run out of battery, not great but they are human too.

Good luck with your chat, hope it goes well.