Would you refuse to take the child?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Would you refuse to take the child?

Today is my last day for 9 days
    This morning I get a call from a parent saying lo has had a nasty fall to the head, big bump the lot and her boyfriend has been throwing up since the previous afternoon and all through the night so she will bring child in later she's not going to go to work.

I advise that mum should prob keep the little one at home to look out for any signs of concussion etc. and to be honest if lo is carrying mums boyfriends bug I really don't want my family to get it in time for Xmas she says lo is fine and she will bring him at 11

Is it me or would she not take that as me saying I think she should keep lo at home, so angry at myself for not saying no I won't accept lo, or should I? Not sure to mention anything at the door when she arrives

sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I probably would accept but like you I really wouldn't want to. To be honest as far as the bang to the head goes you could always assess that on the door and if you think it's too bad send them away. If you keep lo make sure they sign a form to say if happened at home

3. Likes Lorna45, Miss freckles liked this post
    Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

When she arrives make sure mum signs the existing injuries form, any slight sign to you that lo is effected and they will be going home

Unfortunately you cannot exclude because a member of their house is poorly, only if it's the lo themselves

Xx

Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

As others have said you can't exclude as been in contact with a sickness bug although I can see why you wouldn't want to risk your family catching.
    With regards to the bump I would assess when she come to drop of and ask lots of questions like what did they hit their head on and how much did they cry, any change in behaviour, check the childs pupils are both the same size, ask if child has been at all sleepy and get mum to fill it all in on a form, if I thought the bump was too bad I would turn away just the same as I would send home for a serious bumped head, I would make it clear to mum if I did accept if I had the slightest bit of concern I would be sending home as don't like to take any chances with head injuries.

6. Likes Miss freckles liked this post
    Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

You can't exclude on the off chance LO might be harbouring the bug - if we did we would never work as children are forever coming into contact with someone who is ill with something (more so at school etc). As for the head bump like RubyBubbles has said get mum to sign an existing injury form and then keep a very close eye in LO. Depending on how bad it is when LO is dropped off I might be inclined to suggest a quick DR's visit to make sure there is no serious damage. Good luck x
    Reach for the Moon. If you fail, you'll still land among the stars

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Russian roulette these bugs at this time of year.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

9. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Aug 08
    Non childminder member
    Childminder!
    Post Thanks / Like

As others have said, you cannot exclude the child because the boyfriend is sick.

Ensure you log the existing injury and re acquaint yourself with signs of concussion and compression. Make sure your personal hygiene is good and lots of hand washing for the little one and you should be fine.

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

What did you do in the end? I had a nasty fall last week and cut my eyelid open on my glasses when I fell as I had my hands in my pockets so broke my fall with my face alone :-(. Hospital said I had to have someone keeping an eye on me for 24 hours but the info sheet they gave me said 48 hours so I would be very vigilant. It's taken me a while to recover. My eye has steri strips, I got whip lash and a bad back. I was really scared on school run today as it was so icy and I was afraid of falling. I'd make sure you are totally aware of the situation in case little one is scared too- although they are more resilient than us!

apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Well child was only with me an hour before there was diarrhoea everywhere

Queue the whole afternoon disinfecting and praying me and my whole family don't get it for Xmas!

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh no!!! :-(

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    What did you do in the end? I had a nasty fall last week and cut my eyelid open on my glasses when I fell as I had my hands in my pockets so broke my fall with my face alone :-(. Hospital said I had to have someone keeping an eye on me for 24 hours but the info sheet they gave me said 48 hours so I would be very vigilant. It's taken me a while to recover. My eye has steri strips, I got whip lash and a bad back. I was really scared on school run today as it was so icy and I was afraid of falling. I'd make sure you are totally aware of the situation in case little one is scared too- although they are more resilient than us!
    Oh goodness hope ou feel better soon xx

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Miss freckles View Post
    Well child was only with me an hour before there was diarrhoea everywhere Queue the whole afternoon disinfecting and praying me and my whole family don't get it for Xmas!
    Oh darn it for you xxx

I've steam cleaned everything today as it's gone away lol!! I am not getting poorly I'm not in not!! My dd is on antibotics for chest and feeling rather light headed tonight myself (had coffee rather than I've finished work wine!!)

Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Miss freckles View Post
    Well child was only with me an hour before there was diarrhoea everywhere

Queue the whole afternoon disinfecting and praying me and my whole family don't get it for Xmas!
    Oh no! I'm sure you will be fine though as you have been vigilant haven't you