Panicking and cant sleep!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Panicking and cant sleep!

I had a parent give notice yesterday, she gave two weeks notice when in one of my policies (which she signed) it says it is a months notice if you want to end your contract. She is now refusing to pay the extra two weeks money!

This parent has been a nightmare to work with! About a month ago she said that she was worried because her child was hiding behind the sofa when he was at home and not being his usual self, so I said that May be due to her having to work and little one (2 years) was reacting to this. She then turned round and said that 'well I think it's because he is being abused!' I was so shocked that she left my home and I didn't even know what to say to her! Was she saying I was abusing him? Very confused! Anyway she kept bringing him and then one day she turned up totally drunk and slurring to pick the child up! It carried on being like this for weeks and then all nasty comments etc stopped (she on,y turned up drunk once and in hindsight I shouldn't of let her take him home!)

Then she gave her two weeks notice yesterday and has been saying today that she is going to report me to ofsted for being over my numbers! My question is......what do I do? I have not even been childminding a year and I feel like this job really isn't for me if I am going to be treated like rubbish when all I do is try my best for the children! HELP ME PLEASE!?

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by someonepops View Post
    I had a parent give notice yesterday, she gave two weeks notice when in one of my policies (which she signed) it says it is a months notice if you want to end your contract. She is now refusing to pay the extra two weeks money!

This parent has been a nightmare to work with! About a month ago she said that she was worried because her child was hiding behind the sofa when he was at home and not being his usual self, so I said that May be due to her having to work and little one (2 years) was reacting to this. She then turned round and said that 'well I think it's because he is being abused!' I was so shocked that she left my home and I didn't even know what to say to her! Was she saying I was abusing him? Very confused! Anyway she kept bringing him and then one day she turned up totally drunk and slurring to pick the child up! It carried on being like this for weeks and then all nasty comments etc stopped (she on,y turned up drunk once and in hindsight I shouldn't of let her take him home!)

Then she gave her two weeks notice yesterday and has been saying today that she is going to report me to ofsted for being over my numbers! My question is......what do I do? I have not even been childminding a year and I feel like this job really isn't for me if I am going to be treated like rubbish when all I do is try my best for the children! HELP ME PLEASE!?
    Please contact someone in your EY team immediately...they will direct you to the people who can help you....they will advise you on what to do
    You must seek help and support straight away and make sure you have all this written down.

Let us know how you get on but seek help quickly.

3. Likes FloraDora, kellyskidz! liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

What a horrible woman Stay strong, you know that you are good and haven't done anything wrong. If she really was worried why did she continue to bring her child to you? Make sure you write everything that has happened down with times and dates if you can remember so you have it all ready when you speak to you LA. Good luck and don't give up on childminding yet there are nice parents out there

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Write down all you can remember (with dates) of everything this parent has said to you about her child's behaviour indicating that he is being abused, that she is refusing to give notice as per your contract and policies and that she has arrived drunk on one occasion - also that she threatened to report you to Ofsted. She is trying to bully you - be strong, you have nothing to hide.

I don't know how much the 2 weeks notice she owes is, but I would contact your liability insurance company and they can help you draft a letter, or I think there may be a letter on the forum that Sarah707 did about non-payment - I remember the advice she gave in it was to only communicate with the parent via letter - not texts or e-mails or phone calls - if necessary deliver the letter by hand or send it recorded so you know it hasn't got lost in the Xmas post.

6. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Please contact someone in your EY team immediately...they will direct you to the people who can help you....they will advise you on what to do
    You must seek help and support straight away and make sure you have all this written down.

Let us know how you get on but seek help quickly.
    I totally agree with Simona. Firstly you need to protect yourself in case mum is making these accusations against you and secondly I would be concerned for the child, not jsut that mum has collected when drunk but in case she IS worried someone is abusing him and she doesn't know what to do. Also hon make sure you have something in your drugs/alcohol policy which mentions what you will do if a parent turns up inebriated or in a worse for wear state.

I would immediately - whilst you wait to speak to EY team - write up all conversations so you have a record. Write up the collection whilst she was under the influence as an 'incident' with a reflection on measure you have put in place since to ensure next time this happens you will have clear steps in place so child is collected by someone else and ensure you let parent know what these steps are before it happens again. If she does report you to ofsted then they will want to see this paperwork.

I don't mean to scare you by saying this hon and its awful this has happened but the EY team will be able to help. If they can't, i would speak to your legal advisors (MM or PACEY) for advice and also the duty social worker about mum's behaviour AND what she said.

Let us know how you get on .

x
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

So sorry you're having a hard time. This job would be perfect without the nasty parents who project all their insecurities and hatred onto us. There are lots of nice parents out there and they do outnumber the 'weirdos'. Stay strong and as everyone has said so far, document everything and contact your EY team.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Apr-08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

She is trying to bully you. Stay strong. I've been in similar but without the abuse thrown in.

Document everything that has happened with dates for evidence.
    Call Ofsted informing them of the situation and the issue with parent, so they are aware. If necessary ask them for a point of contact and email address of that contact, and send documented evidence if necessary as back up. (call them before she calls them.)
    Call your insurers.
    From now on any communication with her should be written, for evidence.
    Write to her to acknowledge termination notice, making sure that you state it is 4 weeks notice, under contract and not two weeks. That you are available to work the 4 weeks notice (looks better if this goes to court) and if she still wants termination as immediate effect, then payment must be made within 14 days (this is acceptable in eyes of court.) Send it recorded delivery (evidence she received it.)

By the way, if she is insinuating that the abuse is from you,the question to ask would be why did she continue sending child to you.

10. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    Simona Guest

This is a very serious matter and the EY team must be informed at once...no delay....they would refer any cm to their Child Protection team and they would be the ones able to offer 'appropriate advice' in this instance. They would also want to see records of this being kept.

The EY team also has a duty to support any cm where an allegation has been made against a provider...I know there is a document somewhere but cannot put my hands on it at the moment but I have it in my portfolio.

Allegations against providers MUST also be covered in our CProtection policy leaving parents under no doubt what we MUST do in these instances

The rules on this are very clear.

12. Likes Shamai liked this post
    Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear you are having an awful time, some great advice on here, just wanted to send hugs x
    Stay strong x

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

any news honey ??
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Make sure all your attendance registers are up to date as they may take this as a safeguarding issue and turn up on your doorstep. You can prove there is no over minding and this will all go away.
    Debbie

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    any news honey ??
    I have been checking this thread regularly hoping to read some news...Someonepops hope all is going OK and you found support?
    Thinking of you.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't read responses but I'm sure you've had some good advice on here.

1. Are you over your numbers? If so make sure you have all risk assessments, parents permission in place etc
    2. Make sure you seek advice from your EY team, what IF this child IS being abused, at home, and they blame you to cover themselves
    3. Don't give up! I've been at it a year almost too and I've had nothing but good luck, I'm sure yours is on it's way with some lovely children and families

Big hugs xxx

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys! I am so sorry for no reply, I contacted my insurance, ofsted and anyone else that would listen, everything is written down and is up to date so if ofsted turn up about the complaint she may or may not of made then I will be prepared! I have new children starting on Monday so if they turn up all will be manic but at least I can prove I wasn't over number etc. I felt so stressed over the situation but after a 2 week break I feel 100% better.

Thank you so much for your support, a quick question though, what is an ey team?

19. Likes Tulip liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by someonepops View Post
    Hey guys! I am so sorry for no reply, I contacted my insurance, ofsted and anyone else that would listen, everything is written down and is up to date so if ofsted turn up about the complaint she may or may not of made then I will be prepared! I have new children starting on Monday so if they turn up all will be manic but at least I can prove I wasn't over number etc. I felt so stressed over the situation but after a 2 week break I feel 100% better.

Thank you so much for your support, a quick question though, what is an ey team?
    Good to hear from you and hope it is all sorted
    The Early Years team= anyone in your LA that is there to support cms...hope you found someone to give it to you!

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you are feeling better now you have taken back the control by letting everyone know and being prepared for Ofsted to turn up

Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear you are in control and feeling much better, onwards and upwards