Do children eat better with you, or with their parents?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do children eat better with you, or with their parents?

I am just curious really about if children are fussier with parents.

I had a new child start recently and his Mum said he was not good with fruit and veg, yet so far he has had veg stew, pasta with peppers, lunch with banana and grapes and he has eaten the lot (even trying to pinch the other childrens lunches lol) Mum seems genuinely shocked when I tell her what he has eaten.

I also have another child who will only eat my spaghetti bolognese, and my pork chops! Then I have another child who will only eat eggs at her house and ham at my house.

What are you minded children like?

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Most are better with me but I have 1 who barely eats a thing here and eats loads at home. Who knows why lol!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Parents often comment that their children eat better with me thatn at home and ask if they can come to dinner as well!

Aug 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD!!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Most eat whatever I give them, but i have one horrendously fussy lo!
    I was given a list of what lo will eat (not a lot!) but so far my sausages don't look the same, my nuggets are a different shape and veggie fingers have mash in so no good.. only things consumed in 2 months of minding are carrots & broccoli with plain pasta!!

spoke to mum who said lo is just as bad at home which made me feel a bit better, but its must be boring having the same thing all the time

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Much much better with me , mainly due to my lack of mollycoddling!

Notably one mindee ate hardly anything when she started . Not too much later mum arrived early to collect one night - so I brought her into the dining room so she could see what I was eating happily. She looked shocked then said to mindee "" but I , you don't like carrots!""

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Well Mum just picked up and I said LO had grapes and she was shocked!

I told that he had cheese sandwich and a big pile of grapes (cut in half) and the grapes were the first thing off the plate. I think Mum is going to buy him some grapes tomorrow LOL!!!

I brought my kids up by just giving them food, not making a fuss of it and neither of my children are fussy. My youngest has things he is not keen on but will eat reluctantly, but for the most part he likes fruits and veg so I am not worried... My eldest, well I am yet to find something he wont eat, he seriously is a human dustbin!

So when I get a child who IS fussy, I pay no attention and just give them food and 9 times out of 10 they are not as fussy as the parents have first thought. I have had only one child who was fussy with textures and would literally gag on food he didn't like.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't do after school children and most of my mindees start with me as babies so they are used to my food - I have one, nearly 2 years old, who comes Mon, Tues & Wed and generally eats all his lunch (normally the "dinner winner") but his mum says that rest of week he barely eats - I sometimes show her the meal that I have dished up from evening before for him and then take pics of him eating it or the older children just tell her that he ate it all - she is amazed by the amount and variety that he eats. I think at home he was a captive audience of 2 adults to one child, where here it is 1 adult to 3 children and we don't play games at meal times.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Fussy eaters

The childrens I have aren't too bad but I do find them fussy which is really hard when you are trying to give a balanced diet.

Funny I didn't tolerate fussy eating with my own children when they were small but have to cater for it now.

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Both my little full timers eat fantastic here, fussy at home or refuse point blank to eat! Think they know I mean it when I say if they don't at least attempt it they get nothing until the next meal lol

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have mixed experiences of this. Certainly a lot of mindees eat differently between here and home: not necessarily better, not necessarily worse.

I think some children latch onto the opportunity to have a fussy one, either here or with mum, as a way of exercising a degree of choice/control.

A lot of it is down to mums too. I had one girl (briefly) who wouldn't touch anything we did home-cooked. I don't have strict rules against processed foods, but do prefer to offer home-cooked most of the time and really dislike 'shaped' food, prefering food to actually resemble food instead of teddies and dinosaurs. In a desperate effort to get her to eat anything, we gave in and bought happy face potato, dino-bites, etc. but also mentioned to mum that she'd only eat processed food.

Mum flipped, told us we were wrong and to refer to the list of foods she'd given us on admission: which was, naturally, a list of entirely processed foods. Mum then swore that her DD ate well at her previous nursery, which I phoned - and they said they usually give easy food which can be prepared quickly for a lot of children, such as spaghetti hoops, fish fingers, etc.

Finally, mum said "give her tuna pasta - she always eats that." We did tuna pasta; child refused tuna pasta after one mouthful. Mum flipped again, demanding to know what we'd put in it. It turned out that the mere spoonful of mayonnaise we added was wrong - mum makes it with a full 500g jar !!!

I have another mindee whose mum gave me a list of what the child "doesn't like to eat". When offered, she ate everything on the list. It turned out to be a list of what she never gets at home, not because the child dislikes it, but cos the mum dislikes it .

sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I did blw with my daughter and the other day she ate garlic mushrooms and squid rings. So many people thought it was crap but now seeing what a varied diet she eats are now convinced

Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one who eats so much more here than at home and mum is sometimes surprised at the meals he eats here like fish pie and omelettes, I have another who always looks at the food I offer in disgust and really reluctant to eat it (99% of my meals are home made) but the odd time I serve processed food will eat alot better, the other day a take away menu for a kebab shop came through the door and pointed at the pictures and said please! Nappy bag is also full of happy meal toys so as they only have 2 meals a week here i feel like I'm fighting a losing battle! I think it's very sad when kids will only eat processed food, my own kids all have their likes and dislikes but will eat a huge variety of food from Mexican to Indian traditional things like stews and cottage pie.

13. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine all eat better with me because they understand that they eat or go hungry, whereas at home mum will make something different as they don't want the their children to starve.
    Debbie

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of my mindees eat quite well for me, although I have had them where they will eat something for me and if parent tries it with them even the same brand they won't touch it, one ate egg yolks for mom but not for me I just think they try to get one over you if you let them. But if they don't eat what I give them and I know they eat it at home then they don't get anything else, I hate waste.
    Cath

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel quite smug that over the course of a couple of years one friend's son has started eating SOOO much better than he was before. He still is a fussy beggar (he's now 6 and I've been helping her out for a couple of years) but he'll try things now.

I have a new mindee though who turns her nose up at a lot of things if they look just slightly unfamiliar - she's trying to control the situation I think - I check with dad "does she like spag bol" "Oooh yes it's her fav", when I served it (and my cooking's not bad - the others all ate in including the fussy one - she wouldn't eat more than a mouthful. Sigh...