Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craft storage

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Craft storage

How do you all store your craft materials especially if you haven't got a playroom or space for a dedicated unit? Mine is all crammed into a large box on casters that lives in a cupboard so I either have to rummage through to find stuff if we're doing a specific craft or wheel it out for older mindees if they want to 'create' but it's so disorganised I can never seem to find anything or be inspired

I've got an unexpected day off on Monday and would like to sort it out.

Any pictures or ideas most welcome

2. Likes watgem liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrsP2C View Post
    How do you all store your craft materials especially if you haven't got a playroom or space for a dedicated unit? Mine is all crammed into a large box on casters that lives in a cupboard so I either have to rummage through to find stuff if we're doing a specific craft or wheel it out for older mindees if they want to 'create' but it's so disorganised I can never seem to find anything or be inspired I've got an unexpected day off on Monday and would like to sort it out. Any pictures or ideas most welcome
    Thank uou for posting this I was wanting to know the same this week! My own girls have lots of half done kits from
    Pressies , in boxes also and it's all in the utility room, can never find anything when I want to do a craft and no idea what's there!

4. Likes watgem liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm the same half in boxes all over the place, can't find a size suitable solution

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain!! I don't have a great solution, but I do have a craft caddy, made from a shoe box with toilet rolls stuck inside. It contains pens, crayons, (safety) scissors and pritt sticks/squeezy glue, also a little chest of plastic drawers with more interesting things in; glitter, feathers, buttons, craft foam, sharper scissors, pvc glue, lolly sticks, sequins, pom-poms and sponges so I can get the caddy out for little ones, and more out for the older ones as necessary. All my 'special recycling' is stored inside a fold down table in the kitchen for older children to rummage through. I also keep a shower curtain in a cupboard in the kitchen as a quick table covering when glue etc. will be used as I use the table for meals and need a space to serve meals that can be quickly wiped down.... I'll endeavour to post a picture... (little bit embarrassed)

7. Likes watgem liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

IMG_0216.jpgIMG_0219.jpg
    So the first pic shows the caddy (in the middle of the top left shelf) - it sits on top of the case of feathers, sequins etc, and to the right of it is the set of drawers with craft foam, glitter, paint sponges, etc. The second photo gives more of an idea of the whole shelf and its contents, doll's house bottom left and various playsets above; on the right are the paints (at the top) further down more crafts, then some puzzles and below some further playsets, Happyland toys etc. It seems to be reasonably accessible for the range of children I have - things on the lower shelves are accessible to those least likely to cause havoc with them (mostly) and those on the upper shelves are easily requested.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have space for that unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like

That looks good how have you organised the drawers inside? I was wondering about margarine tubs etc, I have a high shelf in the playroom which at the minute has mindees Christmas pressies on but will be clear later .. Unfortunately it's a bit high even for me but I guess would mean that only I can reach it and mess with the set up! I think my problem is mostly my girls stuff, maybe I could have a seperate drawer thing for them.. My middle dd is extremely crafty and will decide to make a handbag or dolls outfit and just produce it, I am in awe wish I could do that! She has a gift for seeing the plan in her head and then making it !

mar06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

image-790934223.jpg

This is mine
    Close the doors would never know what's in there lol

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am lucky enough to have a cupboard too although it needs a sort out after all our Christmas crafts
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

( GRRR, I wrote a long reply ... went away, came back and internet had had a hissy fit and turned itself off! )

... I DO have a playroom, and have a shelf at the top of my cupboard with a big box of misc craft bits for collage etc, a box of stickers, a box of tissue paper/decopatch paper etc, a box with NEW pencil crayons/pens in, plus the fabric and glass pens, blow pens, skin colour crayons, oil pastels etc. a box with stensils and templates, a box of ink/stampers, a box of craft kits and then a another box with bits waiting to go away! only I have access to this shelf !!!

in the utility room I usually have the green drawers ( but spare washing machine in there, so currently no room! ) ... they have paper/colouring sheets/note pads/stickers and white boards(and pens). the children access these. usually, sitting on top of this in the utility room is the ikea wooden drawers with pens/pencils/crayons/rulers& rubbers/scissors/glue etc. the children access these.

also in the utility room, (but in the cupboard behind the spare washing machine so can't take photo!) I have a a big plastic box with paint/brushes/pots etc, another big plastic box with playdough and cutters etc, my big bottle of glue and the glue gun.

and currently .... my dining room table is being used at storage for the 2 boxes of Christmas craft stuff! some bought for this year, some going back many years! it usually lives in the loft! ( along with the Easter and Halloween boxes! ) DD has just read this, and pointed out that on top of the book case ( aka, my filing system! ) is a box with more craft stuff in ( I can't even remember what is in it! )

but ... close all the doors and you'd never know what was there!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

can only add 3 photos so here is the photo of my dining table!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

OMG Loocy Loo. If I had that much stuff lying around my hubby would go mad. I think we need to swap hubbies. I am totally stressed trying to keep everything in order so it's all tidy and no toys anywhere except in the playroom. All my craft stuff is stored in the garage on shelves and only have a small box on the dining table which the kids have been using over the last few weeks. My hubby thinks I have too much stuff, I need to show him your photos.
    love Sarah.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks loopyloo, actually like the idea of the wooden ikea drawers so might take a look at that . Also the drawers!

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just invested in one of those over the door hook things that have 20 pockets in. I'm putting all my little craft bits in there and then paper etc can go in the draws that are in the dining room. At the moment everything crafty is in there and it's so full you can't open the doors! I'm having to get inventive about storage as DH doesn't want toys on display although I can get away with anything our daughter uses a lot so craft is acceptable!
    If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maisiemog View Post
    I've just invested in one of those over the door hook things that have 20 pockets in. I'm putting all my little craft bits in there and then paper etc can go in the draws that are in the dining room. At the moment everything crafty is in there and it's so full you can't open the doors! I'm having to get inventive about storage as DH doesn't want toys on display although I can get away with anything our daughter uses a lot so craft is acceptable!
    This is a good idea too.. Which door do u put it on to keep away from Los?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roseolivia View Post
    OMG Loocy Loo. If I had that much stuff lying around my hubby would go mad. I think we need to swap hubbies. I am totally stressed trying to keep everything in order so it's all tidy and no toys anywhere except in the playroom. All my craft stuff is stored in the garage on shelves and only have a small box on the dining table which the kids have been using over the last few weeks. My hubby thinks I have too much stuff, I need to show him your photos.
    Dh is not best impressed with me ... But after 10 yrs of me minding he is used to it ;-):-D... he's taken the day off today... and just laughed that the kitchen Island and table are also covered in craft!
    The dining table does also have 6 new borrowing bags on it!

All the toys are in the playroom though!

But he can't talk as conservatory is full of vw parts!!!;-)

20. Likes Roseolivia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mines in the shed. At the beginning of every month I get out what I need for that month and put it in a storage box in the playroom.
    I have vowed that I am not buying any new stuff until that I have has been used. Then I am going to start again

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yummyripples View Post
    Mines in the shed. At the beginning of every month I get out what I need for that month and put it in a storage box in the playroom.
    I have vowed that I am not buying any new stuff until that I have has been used. Then I am going to start again
    I am always saying I'm not buying any more ... But then I get a sale email and I can't resist!

23. Likes PixiePetal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post

I am always saying I'm not buying any more ... But then I get a sale email and I can't resist!
    It's a definite no no for me. I have just been through my box and have candy cones, 2 sets of tree decorations and tinsel pipe cleaners that haven't been used.
    We are baking this week so it's not going to happen so they are going into storage for next year.

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by murphf View Post
    This is a good idea too.. Which door do u put it on to keep away from Los?
    It's on the dining room door. I have the stuff it wouldn't want little ones getting to unsupervised at the top and the things like stickers and glitter glues etc at the bottom. It only comes to the door handle height anyway. Plus I have the advantage of only doing schoolies so my 5yr old DD is actually the youngest. She stands on a stool to get what she wants...am I supposed to admit to that though?
    If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast