Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What's your holiday policy?

Mine is currently that I do charge for their holiday but don't charge for mine. As it stands I never take holiday because I can't justify the money, and all my parents still send their kids when they have time off work, because they're paying for it so why not use it.

So I don't have any holiday and I really resent it. I feel like saying to the parents "you get paid holiday - give me a paid holiday for &*%^ sake!"

So anyway I'm thinking of changing it maybe to half fees for their first 2 weeks of holiday and half fees for my first 2 weeks of holiday. And after that I'll do mine free and their's full pay...

What does everyone else do?

Thanks

Aug 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD!!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

I do 4'weeks per year each both at half pay, parents are happy with it & the way I see it is they benefit really as like you say they would be taking more holiday than I would so end up paying less in the long run :0)

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge full fee for their holiday and nothing for mine. I just find it so much easier to say "if I'm available to work you pay me, if I'm not you don't". As a self-employed worker I can't justify charging parents when I don't offer a service. That's just my personal opinion though.

I take 4 or 5 weeks off a year, unpaid. I save up money through the year to cover those weeks. I'm off for 2 weeks at Christmas and already have money set aside for that.

That's what works for me, so you have to do what is best for you. Having no holiday is NOT good!

4. Likes loocyloo, shortstuff, tulip0803 liked this post
    June86
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge full fee for all holidays, childrens illness and parents time off except for school teachers who l charge 1/2 fee during school holidays, the only time l don't charge is if l am sick or need a day off for an appointment that l can't take the children to.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i charge full fee for their time off ( for whatever reason ), and none for mine.

i do take 4 weeks a year, and i need that time off to recharge.

what i did this year, was put everyones fees ups ... i said due to rising costs, but actually, it is so i am being paid half fees for my holidays ...

so for example£4.00/hr ... for 48 weeks a year = £192
    £2.00/hr ... for 4 weeks a year = £ 8

£192 + £8 = £200/year, divided by 48 weeks = £4.1666 ... say £4.15/hr for ease!

so .... all i have to remember to do, is to put that 'extra' each month into my savings account, and then i am at least, getting half fees for each week i am on holiday!

but the parents still think they are getting 'free' holidays!

7. Likes Mouse, hectors house liked this post
    June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I recently changed to half fees for 20 days for both mine and theirs after that no fees for mine full for theirs . I wont take more than 20 any way. Asked of parents were happy with this before enforcing and they were.this is actually no
    Different to paying full for their none for mine for
    4 weeks just means i can take time off otherwise i wouldn't have any holidays X

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    i charge full fee for their time off ( for whatever reason ), and none for mine. i do take 4 weeks a year, and i need that time off to recharge. what i did this year, was put everyones fees ups ... i said due to rising costs, but actually, it is so i am being paid half fees for my holidays ... so for example£4.00/hr ... for 48 weeks a year = £192 £2.00/hr ... for 4 weeks a year = £ 8 £192 + £8 = £200/year, divided by 48 weeks = £4.1666 ... say £4.15/hr for ease! so .... all i have to remember to do, is to put that 'extra' each month into my savings account, and then i am at least, getting half fees for each week i am on holiday! but the parents still think they are getting 'free' holidays!
    Thanks for the calculations ! I am talking about putting up my rate. Little ones are all eating more now and our electricity and gas are ridiculous! Dh says not to, but it would only make a few euros difference to parents, the one who pays most would be 189 instead of 180 euros.. Not that much. !

Post Thanks / Like

I sync 15 days with my parents, I only have three sets of parents so it's easy. I have 5 days in July, 7 days over Xmas and three days around my birthday.

It's the sane every year, they pay me as they are on holiday and I manage to get time off. Any outside of this would be unpaid. I also charge for BH it works well for me! X

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Buzzy bee i am the same as you. My parents pay for their hols and not mine - so they never take hols and I can't really afford to take them unpaid.! It was a game of Russian roulette with booking Xmas hols as no parents offered their holiday dates before I had to invoice for December - so I've had to take days unpaid - which I know is my own doing as it's in my policies.
    I also charge for BH and am closed( yes I'm one if those naughty people) and one parent complained about it even tho they are getting unpaid holidays from me. It doesn't make for a good relationship either way.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with holidays and charges in General is that parents can often find a fairly good counter-argument for anything!

Whilst yes I understand the simple rule, if your open you charge, if your not, then you don't.

However, having previously been a nanny, (I was given 35days paid holiday) I absolutely refuse now to work knowing that if I don't charge in some way for holidays, it's unlikely I will be able to afford one! Also all my parents are paid for their holidays, why shouldn't I be? I'm too tired not to have holidays, so we agreed to sync 15days

13. Likes Bluebell liked this post
    Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies.

I have always believed that about "if I'm not offering you a service then why should you have to pay me?" But actually when my husband is on holiday, he isn't offering his company his services but they still pay him hee hee!

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I never used to charge but now I charge 3 weeks at 50%. This was because I couldn't afford to take time off. tbh i still can't really afford to take time off because I'm not earning enough to make ends meet so losing half my weekly income is not great. Only my new parents are on the new contract - original parents are still on old one of no fee for any of my time off. I still don't charge for my sick days, for training or occasional holiday days off.

I agree with the sentiment that they are getting paid holidays why shouldn't we? I give enough notice at the beginning of the year as to when my holidays are so there is no reason why some of their holidays can be the same as mine - ie a week at Christmas.

There is a childminder near me that charges full rate for all her days off - but she charges less than going rate so it works out the same but is better for her.

Simona Guest

To charge or not to charge...this is a difficult one that pops up all the time.

My only worry about this is that if we do not charge for our holidays we still incur costs even though we are not offering a service...the Ofsted fee does not stop just because we take time off...car and household insurance do not give us a discount when we are off...other expenses such as subscriptions or membership fees are still due...so not charging means we lose precious income.
    Often certain redecorations can only be done when kids are not there and that is part of keeping the setting in good shape...so there's another reason to charge I suppose

I am sure we all know people who are self employed and run their own businesses who pay themselves for their holidays...I have yet to find anyone who waives their holiday pay!

17. Likes Bluebell liked this post
    Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    To charge or not to charge...this is a difficult one that pops up all the time.

My only worry about this is that if we do not charge for our holidays we still incur costs even though we are not offering a service...the Ofsted fee does not stop just because we take time off...car and household insurance do not give us a discount when we are off...other expenses such as subscriptions or membership fees are still due...so not charging means we lose precious income.
    Often certain redecorations can only be done when kids are not there and that is part of keeping the setting in good shape...so there's another reason to charge I suppose

I am sure we all know people who are self employed and run their own businesses who pay themselves for their holidays...I have yet to find anyone who waives their holiday pay!

yes and if a parent is receiving childcare tax credits these are for 52 weeks a year - they don't stop because we are closed for a week.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge 50% for parent holidays and 50% for mine. I limit this to 4 weeks each (8 in total) then after this full fee/no fee applies. When I first started minding, I charged full fee for parents hols and nothing for mine but soon realised that I often chose not to take time off, because of a massive loss in income. August was always particularly hard because I would take 2 weeks holiday and have the extra expense of a family holiday and trying to keep my children entertained for 6 weeks. Parents would also wait for me to book my holidays so they would not have to pay me.

What I have never thought about until recently, for minders that charge full fee for parent holidays, what do you do if the parent cancels their holiday last minute and you have made alternative plans? Do you then have to book it as your own holiday and then not be paid, or is it a case of once booked, it cannot be cancelled? It might be something worth considering, if you haven't already done so and make sure its clear in your fees policy.

June86
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzzy bee View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

I have always believed that about "if I'm not offering you a service then why should you have to pay me?" But actually when my husband is on holiday, he isn't offering his company his services but they still pay him hee hee!
    Thats why l charge for all holidays taken.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
    yes and if a parent is receiving childcare tax credits these are for 52 weeks a year - they don't stop because we are closed for a week.
    But if the parents don't take time off work when I am on holiday then they still have to pay another childminder, so why should they pay me half or full fee and then pay out again for alternative care?

I have no problem if childminders want to increase their hourly rates to include an element of holiday pay but don't think parents should pay it out as a lump sum for a week when I am not working.

22. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    But if the parents don't take time off work when I am on holiday then they still have to pay another childminder, so why should they pay me half or full fee and then pay out again for alternative care?

I have no problem if childminders want to increase their hourly rates to include an element of holiday pay but don't think parents should pay it out as a lump sum for a week when I am not working.
    In my experience the few times I've taken holiday either the parent has taken time off work or grandparents have had them. I've never had a parent use another childminder when I've been off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    But if the parents don't take time off work when I am on holiday then they still have to pay another childminder, so why should they pay me half or full fee and then pay out again for alternative care? I have no problem if childminders want to increase their hourly rates to include an element of holiday pay but don't think parents should pay it out as a lump sum for a week when I am not working.
    I think is quite a common feeling, that's why I coordinate my holiday with parents so we are away at the same time, then they can't argue about extra childcare costs.

I do believe though if you talk to your parents about it 8+weeks in advance, and it's in your contract. you shouldn't feel guilty for charging!! X

Nov 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't charge for my holidays and my parents usually make sure they take their holidays at the same time as me. If they have holidays at different times it would be full fee. I really need to start keeping money aside tho - not been so good at that bit but can't wait for my 2 weeks off at Christmas! Xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast