Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Would you charge :)

I've been looking after a little girl for just over a year and Mum has just had a baby. Mum is recovering at home so Granny is dropping off and picking up on Mondays and Tuesdays. Granny used to pick up in the beginning but it always used to be 5.10pm as she obviously finishes work at 5pm. I let the 10mins go as I didn't want to charge an hours fee for 10mins.

Contracted hrs are 8am-5pm but on Tuesday she was dropped off at 7.50am and picked her up at 5.20pm. This morning was also 7.50am and I'm wondering if its gong to be 5.20pm again.

I mentioned to her that she was early again (as they haven't even asked if they can drop off early) she said , sorry and I said 'I don't mind once in a while....' hoping that would spur her into coming at 8am tomorrow.

I don't want to feel like I'm scrounging for the extra money but I did an extra half an hour on Tues and there was no apology for being so early or 20mins late. Plus the minutes before 8am are precious to me as my own children are getting ready.

Would you add it to the bill or let it go?
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

What I did recently with one of my mums who started arriving early and late was send a letter saying something along the lines of: "The time is approaching for our contract review and I want to check if there are any changes you wish to make to your contracted hours. As a reminder, your contract is for Mon-Thur, 8.30am-5.00pm. Can you confirm if these are the hours you still require, or if you need to change them at all? Can I also remind all parents that their contracted times are the earliest and latest times that their child can be here. They cannot be dropped off before, or collected after the contracted times, unless by prior arrangement"

This particular mum said she still wanted the same hours, so when she arrived early the following week I said that she had confirmed her hours to me and as per the letter, she could not arrive early or collect late. It made it easier bringing it up so soon after the letter had been sent. She never has done since

Parents only arrive early or late of you let them. If you don't want to do the extra hours, tell they they have to be on time. If you don't mind doing it, charge the extra fee.

3. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    What I did recently with one of my mums who started arriving early and late was send a letter saying something along the lines of: "The time is approaching for our contract review and I want to check if there are any changes you wish to make to your contracted hours. As a reminder, your contract is for Mon-Thur, 8.30am-5.00pm. Can you confirm if these are the hours you still require, or if you need to change them at all? Can I also remind all parents that their contracted times are the earliest and latest times that their child can be here. They cannot be dropped off before, or collected after the contracted times, unless by prior arrangement" This particular mum said she still wanted the same hours, so when she arrived early the following week I said that she had confirmed her hours to me and as per the letter, she could not arrive early or collect late. It made it easier bringing it up so soon after the letter had been sent. She never has done since Parents only arrive early or late of you let them. If you don't want to do the extra hours, tell they they have to be on time. If you don't mind doing it, charge the extra fee.
    Wow wish I'd thought of this, I worked out I was losing over an hour a week from one parent who was always 10 mins early!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think my response would depend upon a number of things, including my relationship with the mum and how long you might expect this to go on for.

If they're usually ok with me and it was only going to be for a few weeks, I might let it go. Especially if there's some give and take in the relationship.

OTOH, maybe it's a "you give and they take" relationship? The grandma does seem to be treating this as a right and an entitlement, when it's really an exception and a privilege.

You've every right to refuse the extended hours; charge for them; or insist on renegotiated times. But do handle it carefully. Even leaving aside the inconvenience, we can see this quickly adds up to the better part of an hour each week. But to the client, it may wel look like you're being difficult of 'grabbing' over a few minutes each time. Different perspectives lead to different conclusions.

6. Likes christine e liked this post
    Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with bunyip it all depends on the relationship you have with mum and what it is like normally, a bit of give and take can be really good relationship to have as long as its not always you giving and them taking. If gran is late again today maybe ask her how long it will go on for and if its going to be a few weeks maybe ask gran if the contract temoparily needs extending as she's been getting there early and late each day and if she continues you will have to start charging for the extra time.
    I think it is really tricky as you are currently dealing with gran but its mum that will have to pay the extra.
    I would be really careful how you approach this if you have a good relationship with mum as its a bit out of her control and she might be a bit hormonal and would want this to causes problems in what is otherwise a good relationship (that's assuming you have a good relationship with mum)

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I do have a good relationship with Mum I find it difficult to talk about money as relationships are close and when parents are coming into your home it really hard isn't it.

I am 'to the point' but find it hard.

I've never had payment problems either in 6yrs but I'm having problems with a lot of parents at the moment not paying on time. I have 11 sets of parents and 5 of them are paying late. It took me an hour on Friday morning to work out who had paid and who hadn't.
    1 parent said I hadn't given her a bill on the 4th when I definitely gave it her on the 27th November.....so why not ask sooner, it should be paid by 1st!! Then I reprinted it and still hadn't got it by 6th so I texted her, she said 'but I received the bill late.....'
    Yes, but you should have paid it on the evening of the 4th not left it until the 6th for me to ask again....this parent has been coming here for 6yrs !!!!

Another parent consistently pays late every month and I'm getting pee'd off seriously of having to ask for it so I've written a nice letter

I will have a word with Granny later and see if its going to be weeks of this as I'm not having her dropped off before 8am again.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You have to make a decision on whether or not you want to start work at 7.50 especially as you have said that these minutes are precious in getting your own family sorted and preparing for your childminding day.

If you are happy to start work earlier then tell the grandmother that these extra hours add up over the week and that they will now be charged for - you could ask how long these extra hours will be required for, if it is just short time then I may not charge to maintain good relationships (will you be eventually looking after the new baby?).

Or if you don't want to open your door before 8 am, I would just tell the grandmother that you start work at 8 am and if she arrives earlier than that can she entertain the little one in the car for 10 mins - suggest she brings a kids CD or couple of books. She wouldn't turn up early at the bank and expect them to open early just because she is waiting.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I'd be inclined not to open the door and say sorry I don't mind the odd one off but I'm not actually insured outside of working hours.

11. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all

I'll see what time she arrives this evening and then I'll have a quick word with her about not arriving early. I don't mind the late pick up as I have other children here anyway and I will have to add and hour on to the bill if she's going to continue being late as 20mins is 20mins.

Im so good at dishing out advice on here but when it comes to actually putting my own advice into practise it so hard

13. Likes Goatgirl, loocyloo, Tulip, Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    Thanks all

I'll see what time she arrives this evening and then I'll have a quick word with her about not arriving early. I don't mind the late pick up as I have other children here anyway and I will have to add and hour on to the bill if she's going to continue being late as 20mins is 20mins.

Im so good at dishing out advice on here but when it comes to actually putting my own advice into practise it so hard
    I agree putting it in to practice is very hard x where are Wibbles hairy balls lately? x

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it possible that grandma doesn't know about the contracted hours etc? Maybe mum hadn't said anything to her?

16. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    Is it possible that grandma doesn't know about the contracted hours etc? Maybe mum hadn't said anything to her?
    Yep, she knows as she came to the initial meeting and was there when we signed contract

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm...

What time did se turn up today?

Aug 201
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have written a newsletter- similar wording to Mouse. Our time is not free this is how we earn a living it doesn't matter if you are friendly with the parent, it's still a business arrangement. Best nip it in the bud now, or suggest adding half an hour to the contracted hours.

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    Hmmmm...

What time did se turn up today?
    It was Mum at pick up last night so it was 5pm ....but it was 7.55am this morning

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gail Tracey View Post
    where are Wibbles hairy balls lately? x
    I believe they may be suffering a hangover after attending the Manchester Christmas Party last weekend end. Judging by the photos it may be some time before they've recovered

22. Likes JCrakers liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddleywinks View Post
    I believe they may be suffering a hangover after attending the Manchester Christmas Party last weekend end. Judging by the photos it may be some time before they've recovered
    That's a shame, really could do with them atm...can you try and get them back to life with a little massage and pampering?