Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Notice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Notice

Hi all,

I handed in my notice today, as a nanny. I'm dreading the next 3 weeks of my notice that I have to work.
    Any words of wisdom to keep the peace? Mum wasn't best pleased and was not expecting it at all!! I told her is wasn't anything personal against her or her children and I've enjoyed ( very few days, obviously didn't say that) the time spent with the children after the last 8 months.
    I've decided to take a break from child care which I told her, not to move to another family. She bad mouthed my choice and continuously said how I was leaving her in the .... I bit my tongue and left with my head held high after having to stick up for my decision and childcare break!!

I know it's done, the hard bits over but god knows what's coming my way....! Any advice would be great!!

Thanks xx

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done for sticking to your guns, like you said you have done the hardest bit. If it were me I would just carry on as normal, opening the door with a smile on my face, not rising to any uncalled for comments and counting down the days :-)

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, don't rise, stick to a limited number of responses, Mum will get the message!
    Good luck:-)

4. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

remember the op is a nanny not cm so will have to go the their house and is probably worried about the atmosphere there.

Good luck remember the reason you gave notice and keep smiling 3 weeks will go quite quickly
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone! The kids got told last night so that will b fun for me!!

Post Thanks / Like

* sad face

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    remember the op is a nanny not cm so will have to go the their house and is probably worried about the atmosphere there.

Good luck remember the reason you gave notice and keep smiling 3 weeks will go quite quickly
    I did clock that, and yes, the atmosphere will be awkward, I hope the Mum feels calmer after a night's rest! All the same, keep smiling, count down the days, come back here and have a good moan if it helps!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I gave notice in several nanny jobs but it was usually a natural ending or I was going overseas (or home!) with dh and it was usually fine. But one family I gave notice as I couldn't work with the parents and I found it very hard to turn up each day and mum was awkward but I did just have to grin and ignore and carry on being bright and bubbly ( whilst enjoying the fact it annoyed mum !) And mentally counted down the days!

10. Likes Goatgirl, Koala, Bluebell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry it's hard for you x keep your professional head on and be the adult, you may just have to ride out parents tantrum. Some people are very selfish and only ever see life from their point of view x

12. Likes Koala liked this post
    Aug 201
    Post Thanks / Like

Grin and bear it. Stay polite and professional. Hopefully she will get used to the idea in a couple of days and your last few weeks will be happy ones, or at least not as bad ad you thought.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't feel guilty at all they would give you notice in a minute if it suited them and not give you a second thought. They have plenty of time to find a replacement and that is what they will have to do.

You look forward to your break.

15. Likes Koala, Bluebell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. Was awful this morning, the mum and eldest Didnt speak to me just said bye to the other siblings and left. I'm already counting down the days! *hurry up time*

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I was just thinking - How has your day gone - Crap I see.

mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good:-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rebecca179 View Post
    Thanks everyone. Was awful this morning, the mum and eldest Didnt speak to me just said bye to the other siblings and left. I'm already counting down the days! *hurry up time*
    I don't think you should have to put up with that. Can't you say if they can't be civil maybe they should find someone more quickly. You do have a right in any job to leave with notice! I can't believe they are being so rude and childish.

Chin up xx

19. Likes Koala, Goatgirl, rickysmiths, clairer liked this post
    Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by birch24 View Post
    I don't think you should have to put up with that. Can't you say if they can't be civil maybe they should find someone more quickly. You do have a right in any job to leave with notice! I can't believe they are being so rude and childish.

Chin up xx
    Unfortunately, I can beleive it. I have met some people in my life and some never learn and never look at themselves to see if they are in the wrong.

Maybe you could make it into a bit of a game, play them at their own game, be really nice, speak to them directly as if nothing has happened so that they have to be totally ignorant to ignore you or be rude. This may wind them up as much as it is upsetting you. And it will just prove they are not worth it and reinforce your reasons for leaving. Stick to 'em.

21. Likes loocyloo, clairer liked this post
    Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

We're all here for you x

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Just try to "be the better person" and remember it's the mum that needs to do some growing up.

24. Likes rickysmiths, Kiddleywinks, TNT, clairer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thinking of you hope your ok x

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

aww this is such a shame - I was going to write I hope they had come around after the initial shock. She was not expecting you to leave and you must be good at your job if you are going to be missed and so hard to replace and some initial harsh words are out of order but sometimes we react in ways we regret BUT to continue to act so ignorantly is very rude!

You would think that you wouldn't want to annoy someone who is going to be caring for their children and who as others have pointed out could just leave them in the !!!.

27. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Mar 11
    Post Thanks / Like

to be honest if it was me i'd seriously consider just leaving, if someone was being rude to me and making my life unhappy i'd just say to her (probably via email/text etc cos am a wimp in the flesh) "i'm afraid as you're having difficulty accepting my decision to leave your employment and have been needlessly rude to me on several occasions now that i have no choice but to leave with immediate effect" see how much "in the ...." x
    Last edited by FussyElmo; 03-12-2013 at 01:38 PM.

29. Likes clairer liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast