Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Xmas tree in a travel cot

Was speaking to a parent this morning who was dropping off her 14m old. She asked me how the Christmas tree had gone down with the little ones. I said, they love it and enjoy watching the lights.

She asked what she should do with her tree, as she was sure her 14m old would be extremely interested in touching it. I told her either allow him to touch or tell him not to, she can then decide how she wants to approach it. Little ones love to touch the shiny balls but obviously don't want the tree over.
    My own two children were allowed to touch but I showed them how to touch carefully not allowing them to grab and pull. Children can be taught to be gentle, I've had no problem.

She said the HV had advised her and was advising all parents to put the tree in a travel cot!?!? Is it just me that wanted to laugh out loud

Sorry if Ive offended anyone who does have their tree inside a cot but I found it really funny
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

2. Likes lilac_dragon, rickysmiths, Ripeberry liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What with the child!! LOL x

sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Weird lol. If anything I would put i would use my baby dan playpen to go round it but I've never felt the need

June86
    Post Thanks / Like

Have to agree with you l find it funny like you say children are and should be taught not to touch we always have a large tree standing on the floor and never had it pulled over or destroyed children are shown how to be gentle.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Why can't people just teach their children what is acceptable in terms of touching?? I believe this applies to other everyday things too not just Christmas trees. I have never moved everything up and away from my children or mindees - just told them what is ok and reminded them as needed. Even my Ofsted inspector told me that children should be taught not to touch some things rather than them being fenced off. Crazy to put a Christmas tree in a travel cot! Mind you with an 11 month old Labrador in the house this Christmas I may well change my mind!!

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Flaming ridiculous!

Post Thanks / Like

And what is wrong with "No, don't touch!"?

HV is bonkers imvho!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

9. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Why can parents just not teach their children that some things are okay to do and others are NOT. I don't have stairgate here, I teach the children that they are not allowed to climb up the stairs. I have never had a problem with this. In my house No means No.
    My DS's dad has a LO aged now 16mths old, they have more or less decided they will not have a tree this year because she wouldn't leave it alone so they probably wont be getting one despite having other older children in the house. Ridiculous

What is wrong with the good old fashioned way of teaching children the word No???

xxxx

11. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Tree in the travel cot, eh?

So that's why my travel cot has a power socket.

13. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh no - what next.

Can santa still come down the chimney?? or do we need something else just in case a child tries it themselves!!

Another crap idea just to enable folk not to deal practically with what is right and wrong, god forbid we say NO!! and mean it!

15. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrudiR View Post
    Why can't people just teach their children what is acceptable in terms of touching?? I believe this applies to other everyday things too not just Christmas trees. I have never moved everything up and away from my children or mindees - just told them what is ok and reminded them as needed. Even my Ofsted inspector told me that children should be taught not to touch some things rather than them being fenced off. Crazy to put a Christmas tree in a travel cot! Mind you with an 11 month old Labrador in the house this Christmas I may well change my mind!!
    It's due to my 5 month old puppy that we're not having a tree this year not the kids! Got the box of decorations down left the room for five minutes baubles and tinsel was everywhere! I can only imagine the chaos if they were on the tree!!

But I think it's really sad that a HV is suggesting putting in a travel cot - I'd rather not have one than have it in a travel cot what's the point in that it would look like a monstrosity! It's so sad when kids get kept away from everything instead of being taught how to behave around it.

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad its not just me that thinks the comment is completely loopy....

Removing things from touch is bonkers..... Mum agreed with me that she's just going to tell him not to touch or be very gentle with it.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

If anything I would say any presents you leave under the tree are more at risk that the tree itself lol

19. Likes teacakepenguin liked this post
    Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I just make sure none of my decorations are super fragile, my mum has glass ornaments on her tree that it seems you only have to look at for them to break I worry about my kids going anywhere near her tree and they're all school age!

21. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I generally put a real tree outside on the deck so children can see it through patio doors will get it this weekend then just the week before Christmas I will put an artifical tree up in the lounge - this isn't so children don't touch it, it's more because it takes up a corner which is currently used as Story corner or role play corner.

I think children do need to be taught that somethings they are allowed to touch and play with and others they aren't - had a childminder visit me a few weeks ago who was amazed that I have ornaments and pictures in my window cills, she said one of her mindees would have wrecked my house (I was glad she didn't have that child that day), I think children need to be taught to live in the real world - look what happened to Sleeping Beauty!

23. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Tree in the travel cot, eh?

So that's why my travel cot has a power socket.
    You mean they didn't tell you when you bought it?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

When my two were little we lived in a flat and there wasn't much room for a tree so I bought one that hangs on the wall. I used it every year until we moved to a house and we had a real tree on the floor and I have never had a problem with the minded children. When we had our extention built and I now have a dedicated playroom I use the tree on the wall. The socket is above it on the wall so no trailing wires perfect.

26. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Dec07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

What a total nutcase!!! And these are the people that guide new parents on how's best to raise their children!!!!

How about we put HV in a travel cot and push them off the nearest cliff top!!

Children need to understand what's ok and what's not ok! And having your christmas tree in a travel cot is NOT ok! It's absurd!

"No" or "don't touch" is adequate in my opinion and if that fails children will be banned from my front room!! Lol

28. Likes AliceK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Never heard anything so ridiculous in my whole life....

I completely agree that children should learn not to touch, however, some children are a little more ...stubborn shall we say. My own gorgeous, cheeky ds was just 1 last christmas. We had our beautiful tree up and before long the little monkey was pulling things off the tree with particular interest in the baubles. The baubles gradually migrated higher up the tree with reminders not to touch the christmas tree. Well, if he wanted a bauble, he would shake the tree. One particular night whilst making dinner I heard the most horrifying scream. I came rushing into the lounge to find ds with a bauble hanging off his tongue, I thought he had caused a suction where he had taken the silver hanging bit off but noticed blood pouring down his chin onto his chest. He had actually pierced his tongue on a shard of glass inside the open bit. Luckily I managed to see which direction the shard was pointing as it had gone through his tongue so could pull it the opposite direction. Horrific, he still has the scar to prove it. Nothing breakable on the tree this year but he I still pulling things off despite being told not to touch the tree....

aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Please don't tell a hv where I got my tree. About 2 months ago someone moved into my building and put their tree in its box on the ground by the bins. Well I thought it plus the painting might make a few pounds for a friend in car boot. Ended up keeping the space saver tree and got a bouncy baby seat from the painting profits. It looks great I do love doing trash or treasure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast