Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 08
    Non childminder member
    Childminder!
    Post Thanks / Like

When I had two under ones and a one year old I put the christmas tree inside my baby dan playpen. Personally I didn't think it was worth the risk of them trying to pull themselves up on it and pulling it over on themselves.

This year they are all that bit older and its just there and they don't touch it, but I can see the sense of pouting it out of the way, who wants to spend all christmas saying "don't touch, be careful, touch gently"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IndigoMoon View Post
    When I had two under ones and a one year old I put the christmas tree inside my baby dan playpen. Personally I didn't think it was worth the risk of them trying to pull themselves up on it and pulling it over on themselves. This year they are all that bit older and its just there and they don't touch it, but I can see the sense of pouting it out of the way, who wants to spend all christmas saying "don't touch, be careful, touch gently"
    We have ours in a corner , fenced in by the sideboard , and dining table and chairs. They could still get to it underneath the chairs but it will slow them down a bit! With the best will in the world uou cannot watch it every minute of every day, and it will take them a while to learn don't touch.. So I think a combo of don't touch and sensible precautions if needed probably is the way To go! Case and point we have a small one in hall this year and one little fella who normally doesn't touch anything managed to pull it down yesterday., nothing breakable on it and no harm done but just goes to show!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackie 7 View Post
    Please don't tell a hv where I got my tree. About 2 months ago someone moved into my building and put their tree in its box on the ground by the bins. Well I thought it plus the painting might make a few pounds for a friend in car boot. Ended up keeping the space saver tree and got a bouncy baby seat from the painting profits. It looks great I do love doing trash or treasure.
    Love trash for treasure too sounds like a bargain!!

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

The first year I had 2 kittens we hung a sort of tree thing from the ceiling, it was safer!! However with the kids it's been fine to have a real tree. I went for a smaller tree for a few years and put it on a table, partly so that it wasn't possible for the little one to climb and get it, and partly because it was cheaper so it made it look bigger by having it higher!

Honestly, that HV is nuts... It makes you wonder how many people have listened to her though.

Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 7ft floor standing tree. The glass and precious baubles are above about 4ft so the little ones can't reach, and all of the rest of the baubles are wired on to the branches, not just hung, so nothing falls off if prodded. The tree is anchored to the wall at the top with thick string (which I painted to match the wall so it is invisible... Bit OCD) so it can't be pulled over.

The children have a treasure basket with their own decorations in. Ikea were doing a set of paper and card decorations and baubles, and even the 14m old is enjoying decorating the tree with them, over and over.

I have all 1yos this year, last year had the same arrangement with 1 to 4yos and no issues.
    Apologies for the random full stops. Phone buttons too small, thumbs too big.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LauraS View Post
    I have a 7ft floor standing tree. The glass and precious baubles are above about 4ft so the little ones can't reach, and all of the rest of the baubles are wired on to the branches, not just hung, so nothing falls off if prodded. The tree is anchored to the wall at the top with thick string (which I painted to match the wall so it is invisible... Bit OCD) so it can't be pulled over. The children have a treasure basket with their own decorations in. Ikea were doing a set of paper and card decorations and baubles, and even the 14m old is enjoying decorating the tree with them, over and over. I have all 1yos this year, last year had the same arrangement with 1 to 4yos and no issues.
    Have u given them a tree to decorate or are they decorating yours? Lovely idea

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got one parent who's child (21 mths) def rules the roost!!

We've got a tree up in the playroom, and think they've prob all touched it once. We've said no - and they've all listened!

Last night, said mum asked how x was with the tree. We explained, and she said, oh last year he was a nightmare we were contemplating not even bothering putting one up this year. :-O

What?!?!?! Why can't these parents just grow a backbone and say no - and stick to it????

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have a spare travel cot they can loan me for the tree?

I have one, but decided to put the oven in it, cos telling a child "No - don't touch!" is such a negative approach, and I don't want them growing up with the idea that they might be expected to do as they're told or even have to learn to manage their own behaviour at some point.

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Does anyone have a spare travel cot they can loan me for the tree?

I have one, but decided to put the oven in it, cos telling a child "No - don't touch!" is such a negative approach, and I don't want them growing up with the idea that they might be expected to do as they're told or even have to learn to manage their own behaviour at some point.

Hi Bunyip, I do, but I had to cut the mesh out off the sides in case a child made a hole in it and got stuck, then I found they might get trapped underneath so I cut the legs of, this made the folding arms unstable, so we took them off, the four posts were clear a risk too my eyes everytime I laid a child down, so we took them off too... I've still got the base? Should be ok if you screw it to the floor to stop it folding...wouldn't want little fingers to get trapped.

:-D:-D:-D

10. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This made me laugh out loud! But you forgot to say "please" x

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MessybutHappy View Post

Hi Bunyip, I do, but I had to cut the mesh out off the sides in case a child made a hole in it and got stuck, then I found they might get trapped underneath so I cut the legs of, this made the folding arms unstable, so we took them off, the four posts were clear a risk too my eyes everytime I laid a child down, so we took them off too... I've still got the base? Should be ok if you screw it to the floor to stop it folding...wouldn't want little fingers to get trapped.

:-D:-D:-D
    Brill thanks :-)

Aug 201
    Post Thanks / Like

Ha ha, is it due a sleep?

Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by murphf View Post
    Have u given them a tree to decorate or are they decorating yours? Lovely idea
    They are decorating mine, or at least the bottom foot of it. I bought some stuffed felt robins from asda to add to their basket last night, they are today's favourite!
    Apologies for the random full stops. Phone buttons too small, thumbs too big.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE="LauraS;1325577"] They are decorating mine, or at least the bottom foot of it. I bought some stuffed felt robins from asda to add to their basket last night, they are today's favourite![/QUOTE

Aw cute!

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

My DS is 1 this year and has a climbing compulsion. He can scale anything he has already made it up to the windows using whatever is available I feel a tree would be to easy to climb and to tempting for him. So this year the tree is going on the decking so we can see it from the playroom. Also have some life size penguins to go around the tree this year so don't think I could of fit in the house.

Simona Guest

This thread has made me laugh!!
    Has this mum thought of putting the tree on a small table so it is not at child's level? or is that too simple?
    if she ends up using the travel cot...ask her to take a picture...I feel it has to be seen to be believed??

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Imagine how awful it would look for starters, if I walked into my friends house and they had their tree in a travel cot I think I'd find it hard not to laugh! The comment about putting the oven in a travel cot made me chuckle, its another case of Childcare professionals losing their sense of reality, its a Christmas tree, should be a joy to put up and look at!
    Kelly xx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12