parent changing her working hours and days as of monday, where do I stand?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default parent changing her working hours and days as of monday, where do I stand?

Im in a bit of a pickle. Have mindee mon 7.30am- 7.45pm, tues 1.30-6.45 and fri 7.30- 6.45. Mum turned up yesterday and said how am I fixed to have him on a Thursday ( little misunderstanding on my side as I thought she wanted ti drop the mon) so I was thinking great, hopefully I can move my other monday mindee to a wed and have a day off.

I was wrong. She now wants 1.30- 6.45 mon and 12.30 - 6.45 thursdays starting on monday. I wouldn't mind but thursdays is my only day I finish at 4.30 and now I will havw to work until 6.45

The other mum doesnt want to change to a wed as she doesnt want 2 days together, not that it would benefit me much anyway as I would only get a morning off.

I dont know what to do...... I said yes but now im regretting it

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to add I work 53 hours a week!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Tell her you hadn't really looked at it properly. You are not sure you can do it. Nothing has been formally changed (she needs to give you a months notice of change to hours).

If you don't think it will work for you, tell her you can't do a Thurs OR you can but you can't offer her the late finish.

You don't have to do it just becuase her job has changed hon.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

4. Likes Kiddleywinks, Bluebell, rickysmiths liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Apologise for replying on the fly as it were, let her know you've now checked your diary, and unfortunately you can only do x, y or z (the options that suit you)

6. Likes The Juggler liked this post
    Nov 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I would speak up and tell her, my child who does a late finish wanted to change it from a tues to a fri and I had to say no as actually finish at 5 on a Friday and really didn't want this to be my late night! Xx

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. Shes starting these hours tomorrow so she wont get time to speak to work until the morning

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Then telephone her urgently this afternoon!

You should also check your contract as to how much notice she needs to give for change of hours or days. If she hasn't given enough notice then you are under no obligation to take LO on the new hours until then end of the notice period after she asked, and then only if have agreed to do them.

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

At least you don't have to work so late on the Monday. But really she should have given you more notice. Just because parents hours change we don't HAVE to accommodate them, but they still manage to make us feel guilty
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats the thing I am still working until 7.45pm on a monday but he doesnt start until 1.30pm. And then normally on a thurs I finish at 4.30 but now its going to be 6.45pm x

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd just tell her you got confused and can't do it for whatever reason. I made a decision when I started this business that I'd take Fridays off so that I could catch up on paperwork and spend time with my DS without him having to share me. I've had various mums ask me to work Fridays and even though I'm loosing money by saying no, I have no quarms about being selfish. If you take too much on, your work and general well being May suffer, which in the long run isn't what you want!

Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

So is she expecting to drop her hours overall? If so, even if you agree the changes, she should give you notice and continue to pay her old hours during the notice period. And no, you don't have to agree to the changes (though realistically she may well end the contract if you don't). I have lost a mindee where they wanted to increase hours and I declined. I will miss them but I do have a life. I don't think you should be made to feel guilty over choosing not to offer a particular service or hours. Just about any other business (including other sorts of childcare) the business sets their terms and conditions including opening hours and customers wouldn't dream of arguing or expecting special treatment.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think mum is getting a raw deal here. She asked if you could accomodate her hours and you said yes and now you have changed your mind (not definately) and everyone answering is blaming the parent and saying check the contract blah blah blah.

Come on ladies and gents - in this instance give mum a break.

To answer the original thread - I would take the child, as agreed, tomorrow and when drops off ask if you can have a quick 10 minute chat when she picks up.

Sit down during the day yourself and decide what YOU want and then talk to mum and come to a mutual arrangement. Tell her that you thought you would be dropping a Monday and that you have made a mistake and don't want to work 3 or 4 late nights.

I am sure something can be worked out but alienating parents won't make us look very professional. Rant over..
    Debbie

15. Likes blue bear liked this post
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox Childcare View Post
    I think mum is getting a raw deal here. She asked if you could accomodate her hours and you said yes and now you have changed your mind (not definately) and everyone answering is blaming the parent and saying check the contract blah blah blah.

Come on ladies and gents - in this instance give mum a break.

To answer the original thread - I would take the child, as agreed, tomorrow and when drops off ask if you can have a quick 10 minute chat when she picks up.

Sit down during the day yourself and decide what YOU want and then talk to mum and come to a mutual arrangement. Tell her that you thought you would be dropping a Monday and that you have made a mistake and don't want to work 3 or 4 late nights.

I am sure something can be worked out but alienating parents won't make us look very professional. Rant over..

i didn't want to seem I was blaming the parent. But answering quickly like this a minder has the right to change her mind especially as the months notice of change hasn't really started. mum hasn't done anything wrong by any means - in fact i would apologise to mum myself for answering yes so quickly but say that on consideration I realised I couldn't accommodate - and would probably try to help her find an alternative or someone who could.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got