Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mum makes such a big deal out of bumps and bruises

I'm not talking about major incidents but if I let her know during the day that he's had a tumble and to expect a bump (fat lip today) she arrives and practical pushes past me to 'assess the damage'.

Cue lots of 'oh my poor poor baby, look at the state of you, you poor thing, has it impaired him at all today?'

I can tell she's cross about it and the pick up is short and curt with me. Usually very chatty and stays far too long!

Would you say anything or let her carry on and hope she'll get over it?

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd tell her he's had a fall everyday if it gets rid of them quicker.

No, Seriously, it must drive you crazy and it isn't really fair on you or the child. But it's probably because she is feeling guilty about going to work but that's not your fault.

Can you ignore her? if you can - Do!

If it makes you feel bad or you feel she is a little insulting and rude then you will have to say something before you blow your stack one day and end up saying it 'as it is' and insulting her.

Good luck I'd be p'eed off too.

Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

If he is an only child, I don't think parents realise just how many knocks they have (particularly when they go from crawling to standing to walking to running). xx
    Reach for the Moon. If you fail, you'll still land among the stars

Dec07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't let her know during the day! Just present her with a bump slip/incident form at pick up. Unless child needs collecting! My dd goes to nursery and they don't call me and my dd goes to school and they don't call me either so in my opinion it's not necessary for us to do it.

The problem with calling to tell parents, about minor mishaps, is that they visualise all sorts throughout the day and have then wound themselves up so much, that they're like coiled springs when they get to us!

I understand the courtesy call but mum is clearly not thankful or appreciative of the warnings. Plus, she had a whole day to get cross! Lol

5. Likes Bluebell, sarah707, loocyloo, Ripeberry liked this post
    Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a parent that will come back 3 days later and show me a tiny bruise and say 'did he do this at yours?' meaning I am accusing you that this has happened at yours and how did you not notice!?

He is with his dad in the morning and is very active child and they are always off swimming/park/parent and toddler group/outings and then comes to me for a few hours in the afternoon.

Drives me mad because they are so tiny (the marks) they could have happened anywhere and she knows every time he has a tumble or accident I fill in an accident form - even if no injury!

I don't even know what she wants me to do about it?!

I think what I should do is starting to fill in an accident form stating injury and writing 'mum believes this may have happened 3 days ago during his attendance' and get her to sign it - might make her realise how ridiculous it is.
    Actually I probably should be filling a form in anyway

Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

She sounds a bit of a nightmare
    Probably just trying to prove what a wonderful caring mother she is! I think she feels guilty.

Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
    I have a parent that will come back 3 days later and show me a tiny bruise and say 'did he do this at yours?' meaning I am accusing you that this has happened at yours and how did you not notice!?
    You need to say "No, but thank you for pointing it out. Now I need you to do a pre-existing injury form before I can accept him". Then if you notice a tiny scratch or bruise when you change a nappy or take off a cardigan, send her a text asking her to come back and do an injury form.

9. Likes Bluebell, loocyloo, Koala liked this post
    May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

He's been here since a small baby and we've made our way through the nightmare of cruising, learning to walk, etc. he had many many bumps then. Now it's only once in a while and she seems so much more dramatic about the whole thing.

(Hi mummits long time no see!)

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Perhaps now that he's a bit older, he can say 'Mummy, I miss you, why do you have to go to work?' (you know what kids are like) so she feels more guilty than when he was littler. Just a thought.

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

He's only just turned 2 and still pretty non verbal.

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh, ok, not that then! I agree with others that she is probably feeling guilty. I would find this really hard. I hate having to get accident forms filled in although my parents are all really good about it. Maybe something's happened to make Mum feel less secure about this (me, playing amateur psychologist, here!), tumble at home when she wasn't looking, something like that. Hope it gets better soon.

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

It's weird isn't it? When I pick dd up from nursery if I have to sign an accident form I barely mention it unless she does. He had no clue why she was clucking round him 9 hours later!

And it's not like he never comes to me with bumps! He's had some corkers!