Caring for 3 two yr olds
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Caring for 3 two yr olds

Hi, I'm after a bit of advice-I've just signed up a two and a half yr old boy, signing the contract Monday, and now someone seems quite keen for me to have her twins on the same day, who are almost 2. I don't usually have the car for school runs so would need to travel on foot- I have a tandem pushchair and I'm thinking I'd probably have to have the oldest one on a buggy board- has anyone tried putting a child as young as 2 1/2 on a buggy board, is it a nightmare? Also has anyone tried using a buggy board with a tandem pushchair, is it ridiculously hard work?
    Advice would be much appreciated here- I'm considering a triple buggy but the paths around here are so narrow I'm not sure we'd fit ln them, hence the tandem rather than twin buggy. Plus triples are all so expensive, even second hand
    Help!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I couldn't use a buggy board - it killed my back because you are sort of bent when pushing - but it might depend on the type of buggy you are using.

Triples do come up from time to time - but I would think for short walks anyway that the older child could go on reins

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I started using a buggy board for my 2 x 2yr olds when one was almost 2 and the other was 2yr & 2mths. They are both absolutely fine on it. I use it with my double nipper, I'm only very petite and only 5'3" and I have no problem with it at all.

xxx

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends a lot on what sort of buggy you have, whether its heavy, light and how the child is. I've had a couple of fantastic mindees on a board, 1 that hated it and 1 that wouldn't stand still....its trial and error really

Id generally say though that 2.5yrs would be fine, they can walk a fair distance and use the board when they tire
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

2.5 year old may well walk. My daughters 20 months and would much rather walk on short journeys now. All depends on child as to how well they will get on walking or with buggy board you may well find the younger ones like it too and can take it in turns

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

when I had 3 x 2 year olds I used a double and they took turns to walk and at one time I used a double with a buggy board on.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Sept 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice everyone! Do you usually check with the parents beforehand or do you just go ahead and do what you need to do to get them ferried around? x

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redtiger21 View Post
    Thanks for the advice everyone! Do you usually check with the parents beforehand or do you just go ahead and do what you need to do to get them ferried around? x
    I wouldn't check (by which I mean ask permission) because you run the risk of them saying 'no'. But you could ask if they think that a buggy board would work with their child or ask if they are used to walking etc?

jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've got a joovy big caboose which is basically a double with a seat under the handle /or buggy board built in.its great,quite heavy but I tend to only use the 3rd seat when they're really tired,great to have the option though x

10. Likes redtiger21 liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 nearly 2 year olds and a 2 1/2 year old - I just use a single buggy and alternate the nearly 2 year olds when they get tired - they walk quite well on reins now. I don't walk far but you could take your tandem buggy and just swap whoever is tired or cold or has fallen in the mud!

12. Likes redtiger21 liked this post
    Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be having the bigger ones walking if possible. I have a twin and did have a buggy board on one side, which works better than a tandem with buggy board ( I've tried and it did me in, literally) , but as has been said, it depends on the buggy.
    I have 2 nearly 2 year olds who I am getting used to walking on reigns already. I will soon be using the single with a buggy board. I think they are generally suitable from 2 yrs arnt they? I don't drive either so on long journey days I'll keep the double , or bus!

dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 23 month old, 20 month old and have just taken on an 8 month old baby.

I was also considering using a buggy board. However the 23 month old is tiny and I didn't feel this would work for her.

I have walked other children of this age with no problem though.

I have just brought a triple pushchair off this site which is fantastic. I am not intending to use it for long and don't have these kids every day. But I thought it would be handy anyway for the future

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't get on using a buggy board as I find it strains my back due to walking at a bent angle, but I would think the older child would be fine walking and if they did need a little rest I would rotate all three children so that they all had the opportunity to stretch their legs for a bit

Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

How easy it is to push with a buggy board can really vary from pushchair to puschair even two of a very similar style, I think it all depends on if you have to lean or are still able to stand up straight, my school run is 15 min walk there and back so 30 mins so would have the buggy board on stand by for my youngest dd for if she got tired so you could try to get them to walk as much as possible but have it there if needed helps cut down on the weight you are pushing. Like you there is no wayi could use a triple as alot of the streets round here are victorian terrace with very narrow paths that I only just squeeze down with a double a triple would mean I'd be walking on the road!
    I don't ask permission for how I transport children I think and hope that parents trust me to care for their child that they would trust me to make a choice about how I got their child from a to b.
    I think each child and situation can vary so much it can sometimes be down to a case of trial and error.