Unannounced OFSTED call at 7am
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  85
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 96
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    292
    Registered Childminder since
    2003
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Unannounced OFSTED call at 7am

    Simona/Sarah,

    There is a thread running on the independent chilmdinders page on FB that a childminder had a knock at the door at 7am from an OFSTED inspector claiming they were in the area doing "spot checks". She is in the Bradford area, and turned her away as had something planned, and said she will call OFSTED later to check if this was above board, as how can she check an inspectors credentials at 7am.

    Even if there was a complaint surely 7am is appalling, these are our homes, how far can they go?

    Just thought you might like to know if you are speaking to anyone with regards to the OFSTED big conversation.

  2. #2
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TooEarlyForGin? View Post
    Simona/Sarah,

    There is a thread running on the independent chilmdinders page on FB that a childminder had a knock at the door at 7am from an OFSTED inspector claiming they were in the area doing "spot checks". She is in the Bradford area, and turned her away as had something planned, and said she will call OFSTED later to check if this was above board, as how can she check an inspectors credentials at 7am.

    Even if there was a complaint surely 7am is appalling, these are our homes, how far can they go?

    Just thought you might like to know if you are speaking to anyone with regards to the OFSTED big conversation.
    Thank you for sharing...unless that cm complains personally to Ofsted nothing will be done as we cannot speak for her or even read her comments as FB is not an open forum and will not be taken seriously
    please tell the cm to report it so Ofsted can act upon it...she could email Ofsted directly rather than ringing them as it is a very long winded process now....I hope she did take the inspector's name?

    Thank you again

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    292
    Registered Childminder since
    2003
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    She has contacted OFSTED and been told that the inspector had forgotten to change her watch when the clocks changed, which is why she was so early. Apparently someone has reported a that a minder doing a school run at a local school is over her numbers, so they are checking all minders in a 3 mile radius, instead of the common sense approach of waiting at the school in question.

    Sounds like excuse after excuse to bump her quota up......
    Last edited by TooEarlyForGin?; 18-11-2013 at 10:28 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    305
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 201
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If I had a spot check I would not answer the door. My home is my home as well as a business. AND at 7 am I would be in my pyjamas and getting my own children ready and NOT open for business!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    at my computer, of course
    Posts
    4,986
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TooEarlyForGin? View Post
    She has contacted OFSTED and been told that the inspector had forgotten to change her watch when the clocks changed, which is why she was so early. Apparently someone has reported a that a minder doing a school run at a local nursery is over her numbers, so they are checking all minders in a 3 mile radius, instead of the common sense approach of waiting at the school in question.

    Sounds like excuse after excuse to bump her quota up......
    They really know how to deploy their resources efficiently, eh?

  6. Likes clairer, Koala, Tatjana liked this post
  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Neverland
    Posts
    2,140
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TooEarlyForGin? View Post
    She has contacted OFSTED and been told that the inspector had forgotten to change her watch when the clocks changed, which is why she was so early. Apparently someone has reported a that a minder doing a school run at a local school is over her numbers, so they are checking all minders in a 3 mile radius, instead of the common sense approach of waiting at the school in question.

    Sounds like excuse after excuse to bump her quota up......
    Really!! Clocks went back weeks ago so inspector must be wondering why she's early and late for different events....

    If they're going to make excuses they really should try harder to make them at least plausible!

  8. Likes Mouse, Koala, Maza, lisbet, rickysmiths, Donkey liked this post
  9. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    369
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TooEarlyForGin? View Post
    She has contacted OFSTED and been told that the inspector had forgotten to change her watch when the clocks changed, which is why she was so early. Apparently someone has reported a that a minder doing a school run at a local school is over her numbers, so they are checking all minders in a 3 mile radius, instead of the common sense approach of waiting at the school in question.

    Sounds like excuse after excuse to bump her quota up......
    Oh deary me, if the inspector cannot even do a simple task such as changing her watch nearly 3 weeks after the clocks went back then how can we be assured that her inspecting skills are suitable........
    Reach for the Moon. If you fail, you'll still land among the stars

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    By the sea
    Posts
    8,944
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Unbelievable - the excuse that is! What a rubbish reason!

    I saw on FB that the inspector clarified it, saying it was an old watch she's put on today, so didn't realise it was wrong. But I would assume she's probably looked at her phone at some time, or her laptop, or tablet, or her alarm clock, or at the TV, or at the clock in her car, or listened to a radio. Surely she must have done at least one of those things and seen or heard the time. Perhaps someone could give her a shovel to dig her whole a little deeper.

    But it would seem Ofsted are backing her excuse and accept as being reasonable. The whole thing sounds fishy - they're doing spot checks all all childminders in a 3 mile radius as there's been a report that someone at an unspecified school is over their numbers? I'm sorry, but it's all rubbish. Why are inspectors coming up with these excuses and why are Ofsted accepting them, but denying it's happening?

    Talking with cm friends this week it seems we're all living in fear of a random knock at the door. Several are already talking of packing in cming as they can't cope with the stress of it? I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but how long till we're hearing that this wouldn't happen if you were with an agency

  11. Likes AliceK, rickysmiths, Koala, Goatgirl liked this post
  12. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    369
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Unbelievable - the excuse that is! What a rubbish reason!

    I saw on FB that the inspector clarified it, saying it was an old watch she's put on today, so didn't realise it was wrong. But I would assume she's probably looked at her phone at some time, or her laptop, or tablet, or her alarm clock, or at the TV, or at the clock in her car, or listened to a radio. Surely she must have done at least one of those things and seen or heard the time. Perhaps someone could give her a shovel to dig her whole a little deeper.

    But it would seem Ofsted are backing her excuse and accept as being reasonable. The whole thing sounds fishy - they're doing spot checks all all childminders in a 3 mile radius as there's been a report that someone at an unspecified school is over their numbers? I'm sorry, but it's all rubbish. Why are inspectors coming up with these excuses and why are Ofsted accepting them, but denying it's happening?

    Talking with cm friends this week it seems we're all living in fear of a random knock at the door. Several are already talking of packing in cming as they can't cope with the stress of it? I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but how long till we're hearing that this wouldn't happen if you were with an agency


    Im with you on this - are they trying to 'push' us into going with agencies....
    Reach for the Moon. If you fail, you'll still land among the stars

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    442
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Unbelievable - the excuse that is! What a rubbish reason! I saw on FB that the inspector clarified it, saying it was an old watch she's put on today, so didn't realise it was wrong. But I would assume she's probably looked at her phone at some time, or her laptop, or tablet, or her alarm clock, or at the TV, or at the clock in her car, or listened to a radio. Surely she must have done at least one of those things and seen or heard the time. Perhaps someone could give her a shovel to dig her whole a little deeper. But it would seem Ofsted are backing her excuse and accept as being reasonable.
    It's just a lie, there is no way that is a reasonable response! Like you say, unless she is walking around getting ready for work with a bag on her head, there is no way that's the truth. Not to mention how dark it is at 7am!!!

    This is a worry, what are Ofsted playing at. Not only is this a massive waste of valuable *cough cough* resources, what do they expect to achieve? If someone knocked on my door at 7am, they wouldn't get an answer. If they knocked on my door at 8am, they wouldn't get much done as we are rushing around getting breakfast, cleaned, shoes coats on and out for the half past 8 school run!

    Whilst it is useful to hear these stories, it also makes people fearful, and we don't know all the facts. If she was over ratios, she should be complained about, and she should be having an unannounced inspection. Whilst the early call is out of order, I hope the CM in question wasn't just trying to deflect the blame because she is at fault in the first place! X

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    In a world of my own
    Posts
    2,078
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clairer View Post
    If I had a spot check I would not answer the door. My home is my home as well as a business. AND at 7 am I would be in my pyjamas and getting my own children ready and NOT open for business!
    Whilst I sympathize with this thinking Ofsted are legally able to enter your property (given you answer the door)! It wouldn't go in your favour to refuse enty to an inspector. They are reasonable though normally and won't hold you up if you are on a school run or have an appointment.
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

  15. Likes sarah707, Chatterbox Childcare, serin liked this post
  16. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,081
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    this is intimidation.....

    if this was a work based scenario we could claim for bullying and if we gave up childminding...constructive dismissal!

    wibble xxx
    The bats have left the bell tower.....

  17. Likes rickysmiths, caz3007, Koala, mum24 liked this post
  18. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,484
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daftbat View Post
    Whilst I sympathize with this thinking Ofsted are legally able to enter your property (given you answer the door)! It wouldn't go in your favour to refuse enty to an inspector. They are reasonable though normally and won't hold you up if you are on a school run or have an appointment.

    But if it's not your normal opening hours is it still their legal right? And if you are not happy with who they are - ie can't phone ofsted to check - then surely we are definitely in our right to refuse entry in the interests of safety and security?

  19. Likes Kiddleywinks, Goatgirl, clairer liked this post
  20. #14
    Simona Guest

    Default

    I can't recall if inspectors can do 'spot checks'...my understanding is either a scheduled inspection and we get a quick call in advance to warn us ...or a complaint triggered one when the inspector can arrive announced.

    I checked the Framework for the regulation of provision and I cannot find any reference to 'spot checks'...maybe someone can look at p 12-13 in case I missed it?
    Ofsted | Framework for the regulation of provision on the Early Years Register

  21. Likes rickysmiths, Koala, clairer liked this post
  22. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    south coast
    Posts
    2,978
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WibbleWobble View Post
    this is intimidation.....

    if this was a work based scenario we could claim for bullying and if we gave up childminding...constructive dismissal!

    wibble xxx
    Well said Wibble x

    What a very poor excuse. Oh and if the inspector was hoping to find a cm over numbers for the school run why not wait till school time? I have 1 child arrive at 7 but the others arent here till after 8. I'm sure others are similar. Im never over numbers but how would a 7am visit give any clarification?

  23. Likes Koala liked this post
  24. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    442
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    I can't recall if inspectors can do 'spot checks'...my understanding is either a scheduled inspection and we get a quick call in advance to warn us ...or a complaint triggered one when the inspector can arrive announced. I checked the Framework for the regulation of provision and I cannot find any reference to 'spot checks'...maybe someone can look at p 12-13 in case I missed it? Ofsted | Framework for the regulation of provision on the Early Years Register
    I don't think spot checks are allowed, but I think we should question the accuracy of the post from the CM on fb. Reading between the lines, it seems more likely that she was over ratio during her school runs, and an inspector, albeit exceptionally early, came to inspect her because of it. I severely doubt Ofsted will do on the spot inspections, they just don't have the man power for that kind of thing!

  25. Likes rickysmiths, Koala liked this post
  26. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    665
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Mrs O would not have a warm welcome from us at 7am, I would not even be up! Ridiculous!

    My published opening hours are 8-5.30 so if she comes outside that time, she will be waiting on her car or on her way.

  27. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    By the sea
    Posts
    8,944
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AdeleMarie88 View Post
    I don't think spot checks are allowed, but I think we should question the accuracy of the post from the CM on fb. Reading between the lines, it seems more likely that she was over ratio during her school runs, and an inspector, albeit exceptionally early, came to inspect her because of it. I severely doubt Ofsted will do on the spot inspections, they just don't have the man power for that kind of thing!
    I do agree we should consider that there is always another side to the story, although that doesn't explain the excuse the inspector gave for arriving so early!

    And just because spot checks aren't allowed, it doesn't mean they don't happen. It's like Ofsted saying unannounced routine inspections don't happen, when it would appear they do.
    Last edited by Mouse; 18-11-2013 at 01:47 PM.

  28. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    292
    Registered Childminder since
    2003
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AdeleMarie88 View Post
    I don't think spot checks are allowed, but I think we should question the accuracy of the post from the CM on fb. Reading between the lines, it seems more likely that she was over ratio during her school runs, and an inspector, albeit exceptionally early, came to inspect her because of it. I severely doubt Ofsted will do on the spot inspections, they just don't have the man power for that kind of thing!
    Then why would the inspector lie?

    Surely if she was investigating because of a complaint she would have apologised how early she was and waited in the car. I haven't read anything in-between the lines of this post. She has contacted OFSTED and received an apology from the inspector with the excuse about her watch being wrong, and is going to follow it up with a complaint/comment on being contacted by them that early in the morning, she only had her registration visit 2 months ago, I doubt she would be packing them in when she is so new and knowing she will be due a full inspection soon. If she was trying to hide something, would she do all this?

  29. Likes Koala liked this post
  30. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Planet Lottie!
    Posts
    309
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr-08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    7 am is an unacceptable time and Ofsted phone lines aren't open at this time, so no way of making sure she is legit. For one example, what about my safety and my children's allowing someone claiming to be Ofsted into my house?

    By the way the only way Ofsted can enforce entry into your house is with a document authorised by HMCI, which is issued in extreme situations as far as I'm aware. So unless Mrs O rolled up with this, I think it would be perfectly acceptable to tell her to come back later regardless of her legal power.

    Even a complaint driven spot inspection comes at a reasonable time of day, i.e during normal working hours.

  31. Likes clairer liked this post
 

 
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Quick Links and Advertisements

Important Information Links
Some Useful Quick Links
Advertisements

 

You can also find us on:
Unannounced OFSTED call at 7am Unannounced OFSTED call at 7am Unannounced OFSTED call at 7am

We use cookies to make this site as useful as possible. They are small text files placed in your browser to track usage of our site but they don’t tell us who you are.
By continuing to use this site you are consenting to cookies being placed on your computer. Find out more here: Cookies in Use

Childminding Help and the Childminding Forum are part of Childcare.co.uk