A plea for help!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A plea for help!

I am currently undertaking research for the final part of my degree and I would really like to hear some real life experiences from both parents and carers of children with SPD (Sensory Processing Disorder). In particular where a diagnosis of SPD has been given without an Autism diagnosis.

• which areas of sense were affected?
    • how did this manifest in everyday situations?
    • what procedures did you need to put in place to assist the child with everyday activities?

As I progress I will be formulating a more detailed questionnaire but at this stage I am just looking for an overview of experiences of the condition or in fact if you even know the condition or what symptoms would make you question a child's sensory processing abilities.

I have posted this in the open forum to reach the widest audience so you may prefer to share via private message to retain confidentiality.

many thanks

amanda x

2. Likes N/A liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Do you want to put this on the FB group as well Amanda? It will reach a wider audience

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Do you want to put this on the FB group as well Amanda? It will reach a wider audience
    Good idea thanks Sarah

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by manjay View Post
    I am currently undertaking research for the final part of my degree and I would really like to hear some real life experiences from both parents and carers of children with SPD (Sensory Processing Disorder). In particular where a diagnosis of SPD has been given without an Autism diagnosis.

• which areas of sense were affected?
    • how did this manifest in everyday situations?
    • what procedures did you need to put in place to assist the child with everyday activities?

As I progress I will be formulating a more detailed questionnaire but at this stage I am just looking for an overview of experiences of the condition or in fact if you even know the condition or what symptoms would make you question a child's sensory processing abilities.

I have posted this in the open forum to reach the widest audience so you may prefer to share via private message to retain confidentiality.

many thanks

amanda x
    What an interesting research you are undertaking...I have heard of SPD but never looked after a child affected but I think it gets linked to ADHD and Autism
    Good luck with it and hope you get someone to give you some information...if you could share any important bits that would be really lovely

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    What an interesting research you are undertaking...I have heard of SPD but never looked after a child affected but I think it gets linked to ADHD and Autism
    Good luck with it and hope you get someone to give you some information...if you could share any important bits that would be really lovely
    Thanks Simona! It is an absolutely fascinating area of research which I will quite happily share once I am done

7. Likes N/A liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I look after a 7yr old who has just been tested as Autism was suspected and he has been diagnosed with SPD.

He likes to make a very loud humming whilst playing with figures or cars. He also likes things that spin and will put them really close to his face and make a helicopter strumming noise for a long length of time.
    In the past year I have seen it get a lot less though. He only attends in school holidays so I only get to see him in small quantities.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by manjay View Post
    Thanks Simona! It is an absolutely fascinating area of research which I will quite happily share once I am done
    I got curious about SPD and went to search a bit further...what a really interesting subject
    I can see why it gets linked to ADHD and autism and would love to know what sort of support these children get when diagnosed

Good luck and I look forward to juicy bits!

Sensory Processing Disorder Explained | SPD Foundation