Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    What exactly are you trying to say about those of us who live oooop north?
    You and I don't exactly live oop North now, do we. We each live on our respective motorway service stations.

Simona Guest

I am not sure that we are discussing the difference between sending 'homework' home, in whatever shape or form, and supporting parents in their Home Learning Environment?

To me the 2 are totally different

We can send home the best resources we like but if parents are disengaged or not able to use them that is where the HLE becomes less than effective...for instance if parents have a problem reading to their children what is the point of sending books home?

this is what EPPE is all about...sharing with parents and supporting them, also devising policies that can be used at home and in our setting so improving 'consistency' ...this is one of the most quoted paragraphs from that research
    ''what parents do is more important than who they are''

I would add to this Bunyip..'''and where they live matters not...north or south'''

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No way would I be sending home, home work. My parents would flip!! Yes we do work together and discuss child's interests and where they are at etc etc. Most parents are not idiots, they do not need me to tell they how to teach their own children! I know some do not look too much at their LJ does not mean they do not care about their children's development.

Aug 201
    Post Thanks / Like

Urm..no!

Definitely no homework set here.

Or I may ask for teachers wages!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, yes: "disengaged". That's the word I was looking for. Isn't the 'professional' terminology so much nicer than the straight "can't be bothered" ?

Btw, I never mentioned any North-South divide. I merely hinted that there might be a significant difference a propos parental engagement and children's attainment between wealthy districts and deprived ones (regardless of geographic location.) This is supported by a massive amount of evidence from studies over the past 150 years. I have lived in three London Boroughs: one was one of the most deprived, and it was bounded by the other 2 (both amongst the most affluent) to both North and South.

Anyway, none of that (nor our individual anecdotal experiences of individual families) matters next to what CMs really need to take out of this debate, which is:-

1. We are under a regulatory duty to "...seek to engage and support parents and/or carers in guiding their child’s development at home..."
    2. We owe it to ourselves to make sure our inspectors see we are doing that, and not holding us accountable for parents' lack of response when we "seek" to achieve that goal.

From what I hear, this is another area like 'partnership working with other settings'. A CM may me making all the effort, but getting no response from other settings/parents/whoever - and inspectors are penalising the CMs. We need to make it clear when we are doing everything possible for our part, and not be held responsible for another party's lack of response. We also need to be clear that we wish to be judged against regulatory requirements, and not against the lazy/arbitrary misinterpretations made by some inspectors.

6. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Ah, yes: "disengaged". That's the word I was looking for. Isn't the 'professional' terminology so much nicer than the straight "can't be bothered" ?

Btw, I never mentioned any North-South divide. I merely hinted that there might be a significant difference a propos parental engagement and children's attainment between wealthy districts and deprived ones (regardless of geographic location.) This is supported by a massive amount of evidence from studies over the past 150 years. I have lived in three London Boroughs: one was one of the most deprived, and it was bounded by the other 2 (both amongst the most affluent) to both North and South.

Anyway, none of that (nor our individual anecdotal experiences of individual families) matters next to what CMs really need to take out of this debate, which is:-

1. We are under a regulatory duty to "...seek to engage and support parents and/or carers in guiding their child’s development at home..."
    2. We owe it to ourselves to make sure our inspectors see we are doing that, and not holding us accountable for parents' lack of response when we "seek" to achieve that goal.

From what I hear, this is another area like 'partnership working with other settings'. A CM may me making all the effort, but getting no response from other settings/parents/whoever - and inspectors are penalising the CMs. We need to make it clear when we are doing everything possible for our part, and not be held responsible for another party's lack of response. We also need to be clear that we wish to be judged against regulatory requirements, and not against the lazy/arbitrary misinterpretations made by some inspectors.
    Oh my dear Bunyip..you are very hard man to pacify!

Yes parents can be disengaged but so can providers be!
    I have had many nurseries and preschools complaining they could not engage with cms...indeed as I run my preschool for 8 years, prior to becoming a cm, the hardest task was to catch cms and share info...it was a game of 'catch me if you can'!!

The system is not prefect, Ofsted and inspectors are not perfect, we are not perfect but my vision is to be 'positive' and hope one day we can make a difference and work together for the sake of our children...as I always say 'look on the bright side of life' and hope we can make positive changes..one day it may become true.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123