Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Early arrivals

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oo how annoying!!!
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yummyripples View Post
    People don't realise how much you can get done in 3 minutes! !!!! I spoke to a mum once about arriving early. It was probably only 3 or 4 minutes but it was every day. She said we would have to sync our watches cos according to her she was on time.
    This is a problem because by their watch they may be right so it's a tough one! Sssoooo annoying!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
    ok you can shoot me after you read this because as a childminder i agree but as a parent I'm always one of those people that hates been late! I'm always a few minutes early for Dr appointments and dentist and hated the thought of being late for the childminder - especially as I knew she had to get going on the school run.I'd be mortified if I felt like I was 'keeping her waiting' I would always be 5 minutes early and she never said anything to me so it never occurred to me that it might be an inconvenience or that it was unpaid time - I thought a few minutes to chat and let her know anything she needed to know about my child was important. Oh how I cringe now thinking about it!

I have to say I would be exactly the same as you. I hate being late. But now I'm minding I don't think I'd be too stressed with 5 mins early or late but any more than that is pushing it.

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

We had a mum who turned up 20 mins early at 7.10. We don't have young children to get up so don't really tend to get up until 7am. My mum who I co mind with was in the shower and I was still in my pj's. I answered the door and the mum saw me in my pj's still and was so ashamed of herself for being so early. Apparently they had no bread at home so had to buy sandwiches and she had to drop then to her husband that couldn't possibly stop on his way to work and buy them himself. She kept apologising and text me later in the morning too. Well I don't think she will be doing that again. If she had text first to check we were up and it was ok it would not have been a problem.

It's almost as annoying as parents collecting early when you are not even ready and little one is still eating. They just don't think. Like someone above pointed out if it was a nursery they wouldn't let them in early.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
    ok you can shoot me after you read this because as a childminder i agree but as a parent I'm always one of those people that hates been late! I'm always a few minutes early for Dr appointments and dentist and hated the thought of being late for the childminder - especially as I knew she had to get going on the school run.I'd be mortified if I felt like I was 'keeping her waiting' I would always be 5 minutes early and she never said anything to me so it never occurred to me that it might be an inconvenience or that it was unpaid time - I thought a few minutes to chat and let her know anything she needed to know about my child was important. Oh how I cringe now thinking about it!
    Personally, I agree with Bluebell.

I'd rather be early than late. I'd rather be ready 15 minutes before my first arrival than pushing my timing to the last moment and hoping no-one showed up a few minutes early. When I was employed, I preferred to get into work early and have a coffee than walk onto the station the moment my shift began and be in a rush from the start. So being ready early when I'm self-employed doesn't bother me either.

I think that, working from home, we often forget that parents have to consider traffic delays and last-minute tantrums before lo's get into the car. The sensible ones build in a little extra crisis-time to their schedule instead of running the risk of letting us down by being late. You can tell I'm one of these people who spends a lot of time in departure lounges/waiting rooms, but doesn't often miss the plane/train.

All that said, I know people are different to me. But i do think we need to be a bit flexible with clients. Some CMs really do seem to think they should arrive bang on the dot, not a minute sooner and not a minute later.

I think the OP has done the right thing in communicating her displeasure to the client. Too many problems arise cos CMs never actually let the client know what they find (un)acceptable.

The next step is to decide and be perfectly clear with the client about what sanctions will apply if they continue to ignore the CMs wishes. So whether that involves a locked door, a punitive additional charge, or serving notice, you need to be 100% firm and don't 'promise' anything you aren't prepared to see through.

6. Likes little chickee liked this post
    oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

5 minutes early or late i don't mind at all. Watches and clocks can all be different. Like Bunyip I am ready and organised by 5 mins to 1st arrival. Its when a parent who is not supposed to arrive til 8.30am arrived at 8.05 and i had just gone into the shower that its a problem.

I could hear my dogs barking so had an idea someone was at the door, i rushed to shampoo and wash etc and opened the door in a towel and dressing gown. It was dad who was dropping off for the 1st time and had a miscommunication with Mum about times.

I actually felt really sorry for him - he couldnt get away fast enough!! Funny enough they've always been on time since!!!

If 3 or 4 minutes are crucial to you in the morning - and I understand that it can be- i would suggest synchronizing watches with your parents.

8. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Ooh, the 'dressing gown & towel tactic' sounds jolly effective. I might have to try a variation on that one:-

"Gosh, you're early. The lap-dancer I brought home from the club last night hasn't even left yet.............."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12