Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  30
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 21
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Medicine - A bit miffed really!

Ive just had a mindee deropped off and dad has said she's full of cold again and has been very grumpy. She looks terrible to be honest but as its only a cold I figure we will see how we get on. 20 mins after dad leaves I receive a text from mum to say just so you know she's not well and has a cough so will probably need medicine today! Hasn't sent any in so is clearly expecting me to have a never ending supply! I know we are allowed to administer emergency medication if needed but I'm miffed that she knew she would need it and didn't send any of her own

dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

In Scotland our guidance is that we shouldn't be administering anything really and I shouldn't be keeping a supply of my own. I was told that if they wanted they could supply me with a named bottle in original packaging to keep for use in an emergency. Its to cover you in case they have a reaction to your brand of calpol or whatever. I would be phoning her saying "no problem - you can sign the medication forms when you drop off the medicine."

3. Likes loocyloo, Bluebell liked this post
    Feb 21
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to say I am concerned as it is a big responsibility to be left to decide what to give her. I think I may well reply and say just checked and she hasnt put any in the bag!

5. Likes ziggy, Goatgirl liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a few sachets or a bottle for each mindee provided by the parents, named for child and signed by parents on a sticky label STUCK to medicine.

I also will only give in an emergency, usually whilst waiting for parents to collect! I generally feel, that if a child needs medicine to get through the day, then they are not truly well enough to be with me.

my children are older, so I only have 6+ medicine, and tell parents this, but also tell them that I can not use my medicine for their children.

good luck x

7. Likes caz3007 liked this post
    Feb 21
    Post Thanks / Like

OK so this is niggling me too much, it feels wrong. I have sent mum a message to say I have checked but no medicine in bag and we cannot administer our own medication as it must come from parent with dosage and be signed in. Right decision do you think?

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cbshoat View Post
    OK so this is niggling me too much, it feels wrong. I have sent mum a message to say I have checked but no medicine in bag and we cannot administer our own medication as it must come from parent with dosage and be signed in. Right decision do you think?
    Yes I agree - the father should have handed over medicine with child this morning, told you when they last had a dose, agreed the time of next dose and signed your medicines form - I don't think Ofsted will let you administer your own supply of Calpol or whatever you have.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I very often have mindees dropped off with words to the effect of He/She is full of cold and might need medicine. He/She had a bad night, think it might be teething they might need some medicine. I Always ask, what time did they have their last dose. That's it. I tell parent I'll see how they go. 9 times out of 10 they never need any during the day when they are with me, their minds are busy playing. But if they did I really don't have a problem with giving them some Calpol. At that point I'll write out a medicine form and get the parent to sign when they collect. I always have Calpol in the house anyway and I know when I've got a bad cold I'll dose myself up to get through the day and make me feel better so why should a child be any different. They might be poorly but not poorly enough to need to go home just sometimes need a bit of help. As I say usually they are fine without it but if not I'll happily give it. Just part of the flexibility of using a childminder IMO. Ofsted never mentioned anything during my inspection and she read my medicine policy and saw my copies of medicine records.

xxxx

11. Likes Maza liked this post
    Feb 21
    Post Thanks / Like

On reflection I decided to go with other early years settings such as nurseries etc. They will administer medication throughout the day if/when needed but you wouldn't expect them to be giving children their own supply of various medicines so I think this is what I'll stick too. If she has a reaction to anything I've got, it'll be on my head!

13. Likes Goatgirl liked this post
    Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I will only administer medicine that has been provided by parents, parents leave a bottle or sachets in bag for emergency, don't like to give calpol for a cold - I'll happily give it for teething but calpol can mask symptoms like a high temp etc so if a child needs calpol to get through the day due to cold I send them home.

15. Likes rickysmiths, loocyloo liked this post
    Dec07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't administer medicine unless it is prescribed by a doctor! And is labelled properly.

I got fed up of nursing other people's sick children and more importantly looking at poor unwell faces that clearly displayed a need to be at home with a parent.
    It's teeth, it's a cold, it's a cough.......I couldn't give a monkeys what it is, if they feel/look rough enough to need medicine then they should be at home.

Calpol or such like should only be given as a last resort in relation to teething otherwise, as with my own children, they'd have been downing it daily for 9 months!

I don't like to see a child suffer anymore than the next person, but it's the job of the parent to be there and to nurse them not me.

17. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Statutory framework for EYFS 3.44
    Medicine (both prescription and non prescription) must only be administered to a child where written permission for that particular medicine has bee obtained from the child's parent/care etc etc
    I think I would send child home if ill and parent not bought medicine in for them and given written permission

19. Likes rickysmiths, clairer, Bluebell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doris127 View Post
    In Scotland our guidance is that we shouldn't be administering anything really and I shouldn't be keeping a supply of my own. I was told that if they wanted they could supply me with a named bottle in original packaging to keep for use in an emergency. Its to cover you in case they have a reaction to your brand of calpol or whatever. I would be phoning her saying "no problem - you can sign the medication forms when you drop off the medicine."
    I live in England and was told this too

Aug 201
    Post Thanks / Like

I would send the child home ill too. What a cheek. Surely if they are ill enough to need medicine they should be at home and not spreading germs in your setting. We are not nurses!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like I'm the only one who thinks it's acceptable then

xxx

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emma04 View Post
    I don't administer medicine unless it is prescribed by a doctor! And is labelled properly. I got fed up of nursing other people's sick children and more importantly looking at poor unwell faces that clearly displayed a need to be at home with a parent. It's teeth, it's a cold, it's a cough.......I couldn't give a monkeys what it is, if they feel/look rough enough to need medicine then they should be at home. Calpol or such like should only be given as a last resort in relation to teething otherwise, as with my own children, they'd have been downing it daily for 9 months! I don't like to see a child suffer anymore than the next person, but it's the job of the parent to be there and to nurse them not me.

I agree!

I have turned people away at the door as they said lo had rough night and had meds this am. No thank you!! As it was they ended up off for the whole week really I'll.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AliceK View Post
    Looks like I'm the only one who thinks it's acceptable then xxx
    I agree with you! I think parents would never work if we turned them away at every cold and cough and teething,, I think I would lose all my business if I did! That said I do administer calpol, but if I feel they are unwell enough I would expect child to be collected. It's a tough one!

OP hope it got sorted!

25. Likes AliceK, Dragonfly liked this post
    Feb 21
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem giving a bit of calpol during the day if just a cold but I'm not happy to supply it and I don't think Ofsted would be if I was either!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I will only administer one dose of Calpol, if they need it four hourly they are not well enough to attend my setting. All parents provide me with a bottle/sachet for their child with their name on it x

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cbshoat View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I have no problem giving a bit of calpol during the day if just a cold but I'm not happy to supply it and I don't think Ofsted would be if I was either!
    I will supply it if parents don't bring any which they usually don't. I record the Lot Number and Expiry Date of the bottle on the medicine forms. Like I said most of the time they don't need it and I'll only give it if I feel a child really needs it. Ofsted saw all this recorded and didn't say anything about it.

xxxx

Dec07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by murphf View Post
    I agree with you! I think parents would never work if we turned them away at every cold and cough and teething,, I think I would lose all my business if I did! That said I do administer calpol, but if I feel they are unwell enough I would expect child to be collected. It's a tough one! OP hope it got sorted!
    I don't turn anyone away who has a cough or a cold or who's teething either, I agree Murphf I'd be skint too!
    I just won't give Calpol, the only time a child needs Calpol for these ailments is when they are running a fever or are clearly finding daily routine difficult. In both of these cases, the child should be at home anyway...in my opinion.

Too many parents were dosing up their children and expecting me to continue throughout the day. I quote one parent:
    "X has had a terrible night with his cold and is very grumpy and rough this morning, we gave him Calpol at 7.30am so if you give him some more in 4 hrs, it'll keep him going until his nap, after which, give him neurofen and that'll last him until 5! I'll fetch him early" (parent normally collects at 5.30!)

Go jump.... and don't for get to check his birth certificate, as I think you'll find he belongs to you not me!!!

30. Likes Dragonfly liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast