Baby sleeping arrangements
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Baby sleeping arrangements

So I have a baby that comes here and mum provided a rocker chair / baby seat for him to sleep in. Mum and dad have split and dad says letting him sleep in it is child abuse! Is it wrong to let them sleep in it? Am I supposed to provide a cot? It's got me worried now as I feel like piggy in the middle and don't fancy complaints cos dad criticises everything mum does. bad day..........

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

How old is the baby? It is not a long term nap solution as you have to be so careful about babies tipping themselves out of those baby bouncer chairs. I would check the instruction manual (look online, search the manufacturers website) as you may well find it says in there something about safety and sleeping in them- which would be an easy end to the discussion!
    I would be happier with a baby in a cot- what if other children are around and poke the baby etc. If you do not want to use it I am sure you can find a simple 'sorry, it is not really possible here because of xxx, let's try a cot and see how baby does in there etc'

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't think its recommended that babies/children sleep in a baby seat but I may be mixing this up with a car seat.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys thanks for the info. It's his old car seat that he likes to sleep in. I'm thinking a travel cot may be the solution. Do any of you get parents that argue

Dec 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with moggy, a baby seat is not a long term sleeping strategy. Once the baby is moving about and standing then they will try to get out of a seat. I would suggest to the parents that you want to start as you mean to go on and get them in a cot for naps.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Essbops View Post
    Hi guys thanks for the info. It's his old car seat that he likes to sleep in. I'm thinking a travel cot may be the solution. Do any of you get parents that argue
    If it is a car seat then a definite no no, there is a time-limit they should be in one even (see manufacturers recommendations), it is to do with the posture, lying flat is better for the baby's growth/spine development.

dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I use cots - babies should really d lying down to sleep. I'm sure there's warning about babies sleeping in car seats

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

Does baby have any reflux? If so, the baby will be more comfortable sleeping at closer to 45 degrees rather then flat, but this is better achieved by boosting a mattress or using a specially designed triangular pillow so the baby is lying flat rather than bent in the middle as in a car seat. It maybe that Mum has good reason, but perhaps isn't aware of the potential drawbacks?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for this I'm going to go and buy a travel cot much better I think!

10. Likes Koala liked this post
    June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

they are about £25 in asda

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Ofsted prefer cots too.
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Babies sleeping in car seats can be a risk in cot death. Their throat is scrunched up. I hate to see babies being pushed around in them.

nov 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a mindee that will only go to sleep in her pushchair. ......tried cot etc but the only other thing she will sleep in is the carseat I take her out of the seat and lay her down in the pushchair. ...mums given me the go ahead......dont know what to do when ofsted come round :-/

Aug 09
    Post Thanks / Like

All mine sleep in pushchairs downstairs. I used to use travel cots but suffer with a bad back so can't keep putting 2 of them up and down everyday . I must admit I worry about ofsted a opinion on this too!

Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a combination of travel cots and pushchairs but my pushchairs all lie completely flat, I think Ofsted prefer cots but will tolerate lie flat pushchairs as sleeping for prolonged amounts of time not led flat can cause spinal problems.

sept 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I always use travel cots with extra mattresses in them to make them more comfy as they are basically laid on pieces of wood if you don't they need padding out if a child is older they have fold up mattresses I bought from online for baby with a cot sheet and blanket on but if a child falls asleep in a pushchair whilst we are out I don't move them I leave them until they wake.