Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nativity at Christmas

Hi,

I just wondered what everyone taught the children at christmas? All of the children on my books are not particularly religious but i dont think the parents would mind me teaching the story of the nativity... but not sure... whats everyone else doing?

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely do it! My view is we teach Chinese New Year, Diwali etc so why shouldn't we teach our own countries native beliefs. I'm looking forward to doing our Nativity activities, enjoy!xx
    Kelly xx

feb 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Definately one of the best bits of the year as has been said already we do all the other world celebrations so can't leave out our own

Aug 201
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the highlights of my child minding career was when I set up a Nativity corner, in which I placed a baby in a cradle and a selection of nativity books.

The children were totally inspired by this and four of them age between 5 and 8 wrote their own play complete with songs. They chose their own clothes for dressing up and props. They performed their Nativity for the parents before they broke up for Xmas- it was so endearingly sweet. The songs were fantastic. Fabulous moment.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Easy costumes: old pillow case with slit cut out for head and tied around the waist with a ribbon. Tea towel for head( but don't tell the Environmental Officer! ) with another ribbon to keep it on.

Go for it! It will be automatic in my house to reinact the story of the first Chritmas as part of 'Christmas to Christians is not just about presents'.

6. Likes clairer liked this post
    Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

At the end of the day, it's a nice story, so why not?

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Go for it! Nativity time is always fun with little ones because they are so cute!

Dec 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Im going to do a nativity play with all my children this year. Theyre deciding on the parts, the scripts, props etc.(my dog is the donkey) Im hoping to record it and put on to a disc for the parents.
    Julie X X

10. Likes hectors house liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It makes me cross when other cultures openly celebrate their beliefs in Britain but we feel we have to play it down or ask permission - the shops are full of presents, cards, decorations but often the staff in the supermarkets on the till aren't allowed to wish you "Happy Christmas" surely if they can make an assumption based on what is in your trolley!

12. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

we actively talk about the real meaning of Christmas, and I have several nativity scenes, plus a big one I've just been given! I have the fisher price little people nativity set with stable, Mary, Joseph and Jesus, shepherds, wise men and assorted animals. the children love playing with it. sometimes Father Christmas goes to visit as well!

we will talk about the start of advent, and then epiphany once Christmas is passed. as its just been Halloween we've talked about all saints & all souls days, we talk about the Easter story and assorted other days in the Christian calendar. some of my parents are religious, others not, but no one has commented. I do also cover other religious festivals for other cultures but my focus is on Christianity. I think it is a shame that in this country people are so afraid of upsetting people that we bend over backwards to accommodate other faiths, but our own 'national' faith is ignored.

Sept 01
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by julie w View Post
    Im going to do a nativity play with all my children this year. Theyre deciding on the parts, the scripts, props etc.(my dog is the donkey) Im hoping to record it and put on to a disc for the parents.
    This sounds fabulous!