what would you class as being too ill to be in your setting?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default what would you class as being too ill to be in your setting?

Just wondering what people would class as being too ill to be in your setting. Would it just be S&D that people exclude mindees for?

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I exclude children with a fever or for 24hrs after new medicine and follow the guidance from hse I also say they must be well enough to take part in my normal daily routine, I'll have kids with colds and who are a little under the weather but if they're not up to it I will and have phoned parents to collect early. Is there a particular reason you ask this?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, i have a 9 month old mindee who screams all day with me anyway. He was supposed to come this morning (turned up at 12) his mum says hes had a chest infection over the weekend. He is still screaming since she left but he is struggling to breath and choking I assume its the 2 put together. I cant do anything with my own lo's as i am cuddling him which isnt helping but I dont really want to call mum as i gave 4 weeks notice last week because of his screaming so she might be funny about it x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

How is his temperature? Skin tone? Check around his lips for slight blueness. Is he eating normally? I exclude for S+D, conjunctivitis, HFM, fever, Colds/chest infections/thick green snotty noses that stop children being able to participate in our routine. If a child is not contagious and isnt to tired then I'm okay with them here, a child that is to poorly to at least try and join in without flaking out on the floor needs to be at home. If you are worried send him home. You know what he's normally like, even with the screaming. x

Feb 21
    Post Thanks / Like

Can I ask how many dirty nappies you would have before sending home? I have a lo who arrived at 11.30, mum said has cold but in the last hour I have had 3 dirty, pretty loose nappies which is definitely not normal for her, normally only 1 throughout whole day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ali56 View Post
    How is his temperature? Skin tone? Check around his lips for slight blueness. Is he eating normally? I exclude for S+D, conjunctivitis, HFM, fever, Colds/chest infections/thick green snotty noses that stop children being able to participate in our routine. If a child is not contagious and isnt to tired then I'm okay with them here, a child that is to poorly to at least try and join in without flaking out on the floor needs to be at home. If you are worried send him home. You know what he's normally like, even with the screaming. x
    He's warm but he generally gets sweaty when hes screaming none stop for hours. Hes quite pale. She said he is off his solids and just to try him with formula. Hes had inhaler so i dont need to give him that, this is new he wasnt on them last week. He never sleeps anyway, even if he is shattered he fights to the end! Ive put him down for a nap as he fell asleep on me (which must mean hes tired as this never happens) and as soon as i moved he started screaming so hes back up crying. I cant sit with him sleeping on me i have my own children who need my help. I will probably see it out today so long as he doesnt get worse and tell her at pick up he can cone back when hes better! X

Mar12
    Post Thanks / Like

My policy is if there too ill to take part in activities they are too ill to be here. I've had parents ring and ask would we mind not going to mother and toddler as child isn't too well or to the soft play and such like to which I always reply if the child isn't well enough to take part then they should b at home I have other children to care for too who will be missing out if we didn't go.

8. Likes clairer liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by littlebears1009 View Post
    He's warm but he generally gets sweaty when hes screaming none stop for hours. Hes quite pale. She said he is off his solids and just to try him with formula. Hes had inhaler so i dont need to give him that, this is new he wasnt on them last week. He never sleeps anyway, even if he is shattered he fights to the end! Ive put him down for a nap as he fell asleep on me (which must mean hes tired as this never happens) and as soon as i moved he started screaming so hes back up crying. I cant sit with him sleeping on me i have my own children who need my help. I will probably see it out today so long as he doesnt get worse and tell her at pick up he can cone back when hes better! X
    Does he have an inhaler at home? If he has a blue inhaler it should def be with you too, incase he needs it. He sounds poorly to me. I'd send him home. I'm sure mum would have known he wasn't well enough really. I realise it's hard for parents to take time off, but sometimes their babies need them. Will he snuggle up in a pram or anything? x

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ali56 View Post

Does he have an inhaler at home? If he has a blue inhaler it should def be with you too, incase he needs it. He sounds poorly to me. I'd send him home. I'm sure mum would have known he wasn't well enough really. I realise it's hard for parents to take time off, but sometimes their babies need them. Will he snuggle up in a pram or anything? x
    She didnt tell me what colour it was she just said ive given him his inhaler so you dont need to so ive left it at home and just to give him calpol if he wont settle, which i wont do if he has no symptoms to require calpol. The inhaler is new im assuming because of his infection. He sounds like a barking dog so im guessing it might be croup but she just said RTI. I think i may ask her to collect and bring back when hes better. I daren't leave him for even a second to tend to my own kids because his breathing and coughing is that bad!

Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like he's not well enough to be with you, if he's been given a preventer inhaler often brown steroid inhaler they normal take a couple of weeks to take effect so would of thought he'd of been given a reliever inhaler as well or even just on its own if its to help with this recent cough which is normally blue, in which case you should have the blue one with you even if he had just had it as he might need it again whilst he is with you.

Aug 201
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the poor love is not well and if he's not well there's only one place he should be- at home.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clairer View Post
    I think the poor love is not well and if he's not well there's only one place he should be- at home.
    Mums on way to collect. I do feel awkward because i only gave notice last week and she dropped him off 3 hours later than normal but if he isnt well then like you say he needs to be home!

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the HPA advice sheet or the spotty book to help me decide. Definitely would send home if they were upset / under the weather. If its a bit coldy and tired and they fall asleep when they've grown out of naps so its not like them I'll text the mum let them know and say I'll let them know how they are when they wake up - Mums normally choose to come and get at that point anyway.
    I agree if child isn't well enough to partake then they shouldn't be there but at the same time if a child is a bit coldy and its been doing the rounds they might not want to be traipsed round the moors on a big long walk on a cold day so I will try and be a bit flexible! (I wouldn't feel like it either if I had a cold tbh)