Are individual towels a requirement under EYFS?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  37
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't think it is a requirement but at my inspection earlier this year Mrs O said that having paper towels would be really good & could factor in progressing to outstanding x

2. Likes Bluebell, serin liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have pegs with names and photos on that is next to the hand wash area, it's a bit much with all their coats, bags and towels on! Something else I need to suss out how to fit everything in my house!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a very large stack of flannels. Children use them and then put them to the wash. Mrs O Was quite happy with that

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My view of childminding is that we are here to equip children with living in the real world - that is a world where bathrooms have towels (in my case individual easily identifyable towels), rather than paper towels, bottles of liquid soap rather than a machine that dispenses it from the wall and even a toilet brush and holder (once told my LA that I couldn't have one out on display).

6. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    My view of childminding is that we are here to equip children with living in the real world - that is a world where bathrooms have towels (in my case individual easily identifyable towels), rather than paper towels, bottles of liquid soap rather than a machine that dispenses it from the wall and even a toilet brush and holder (once told my LA that I couldn't have one out on display).
    I agree! And this is why I have one towel! Mine are all under two, I supervise, then wash their hands, so I know they are cleaned well. I have a stock of flannels, but use them ford that purpose, I.e. To clean mucky faces and wipe toothpaste dribble away! I live in my home, I have lots dedicated to the children, but I've decided not to have pegs everywhere we wash our hands, and spend precious time hanging towels all over the place! Perhaps I'll never get outstanding, but the children will know very well how to clean their hands and then dry them on THE towel!!!

Aug 09
    Post Thanks / Like

My thought exactly Messy!!! Worlds gone mad IMHO! I used to have flannels for the children to use to dry their hands but it was a nightmare to wash and dry them every night.....not very economical to put the tumble dryer on every night . I also don't agree with paper towels for environmental reasons. My ONE hand towel is changed every day.....I am pretty sure that is what the mindee is used to in their own home and I as a childminder am offering a 'Home From Home' service! I am not a nursery, preschool or school!!!!

9. Likes rickysmiths, AliceK, Dragonfly liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We have either a hand towel that everyone shares that is washed each day OR I have a pile of ikea flannels that hang on shower curtain rings on the towel rail in my downstairs toilet. Each curtain ring has a laminated name tag for each child and these towels stay for the week for each child to use. ( most of my children only come one day a week!) IF they get grubby then I wash them and give child a clean one. But I swap between the two as sometimes I forget to put the ikea ones out!
    I asked my environmental health chappie and he was not happy with anything less than a new towel per child per hand wash! He said use paper towels... I said I had in the past, but cost, storage & disposal were an issue plus it's a home not an institution!

11. Likes N/A liked this post
    dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always used just the one towel for everyone. I put a clean one out every morning and never had any problems

13. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

I think flannels instead of towels are good, they only have little hands! you could have lots of different coloured one's and could even iron on a name label. If you get flannels that have a label on them they can be hung up by the label maybe on suction hooks. No cross contamination

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greanan View Post
    I've always used just the one towel for everyone. I put a clean one out every morning and never had any problems
    Its getting a little silly if you ask me, kids are always touching, hugging, coughing, kissing, sneezing over each other, but god forbid if they dry their already clean hands on each others towels lol

Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Bindy I do agree with you it doesn't all add up. I do have a stack of flannels which are washed daily and each of the kids have individual bedding as I know of a local childminder who was actioned for not having it, I was also quizzed by ofsted at both my pre reg and graded inspection about towels and sheets but this is where it just seems a bit mad these children share car seat and pushchairs and cushions in the lounge which dont have individual covers let alone the toys that go from one mouth to the next. (Not that I'm suggesting that they should ever have indivudual covers -that would be completly bonkers).

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by helendee View Post
    As the title says, can anyone tell me if it is a current requirement under the EYFS to provide individual towels and flannels for each child? My daughter in law was told off by her inspector last week for not having them, however at my last inspection my inspector was happy that I use paper towels which are thrown away.

I have searched through the statutory requirements and can find no mention of this being a necessity.
    What was the system your dd was using. If paper towels I would have argued the point.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless they're expecting them to be sterile, exactly how 'clean' do Ofsted want these towels to be?

Do all inspectors carry some device for scientifically measuring the cleanliness of fabric?

Should I change my shirt between nuggling children, so as not to inadvertently cross-infect them?

Are the children allowed to touch the soft furnishings, or do we need to cover the sofa, etc. in plastic sheeting?

Can Ofsted provide data on the number of towel-related deaths and serious illnesses in the UK?

Would Mrs O like to stand outside my house and conduct the inspection through the window, cos I guarantee she will be carrying more bacteria on her body than can be found on even the dirtiest post-match rugby club towel?

Ofsted: proud to be talking b0ll0x since 1992.

19. Likes hectors house, dawn100 liked this post
    aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps we should give each child gloves and face masks when they come. Don't let th touch anything of breath on each other.

21. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tas View Post

At the moment each child has an individual small towel that is washed at the end of the day

I would like to start using paper towels or was thinking of kitchen roll but how do the children access the the paper towels as I really don't want a dispenser attached to my wall
    I use Marks and Spensor kitchen roll, it has nice patterns on and the little ones pul it off the roll themselves. As for babies who have faces washed also, I ask their parents to provide a wash cloth which goes home with them everynight.
    I also have some little animal soaps that I found in pound shop, and they have one each in their own little box and they use that to wash their hands. This isn't a requirement, it started when one mindee I had had autism and was very particular about having his own soap, so of course they all wanted their own then! X

aug 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

So true Bindy, I was also to not to use anti bac hand spray when they cover their mouth after coughing but to make sure they go and wash them well am sorry I don't want to spend all say in the bathroom washing hands

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karen m View Post
    So true Bindy, I was also to not to use anti bac hand spray when they cover their mouth after coughing but to make sure they go and wash them well am sorry I don't want to spend all say in the bathroom washing hands
    I think you have to use common sense, there has to obviously be a standard of cleaning so us and mindees aren't constantly ill, but I think to have all individual towels, bed sheets and so on, gets a bit ridiculous, and lets face it, we would spend all our time at the washing machine!
    As long as hands are washed before eating and after toileting, that should be satisfactory. If you had younger babies toys would have to be sterilized once a week or so...
    As I said in previous post I do separate soaps, only because of a child with SEN, but it is important to enforce personal hygiene skills x

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We spend all day washing the protective oils out of their hands, then wonder why so many children present with skin conditions.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Our school nursery (graded good) has out 2 towels a day for all the children to use. That's 70 children over a day. These children wash their hands unsupervised, so I would guess their hands aren't squeaky clean when they finish. The towels spend most of the time on the floor and are pretty awful. The children never wash their hands before snack time and use the same towels when washing their hands after going to the toilet, or after messy play/painting.

The nursery was praised for encourage independence in self care

How many childminders would receive praise if they did the same?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Our school nursery (graded good) has out 2 towels a day for all the children to use. That's 70 children over a day. These children wash their hands unsupervised, so I would guess their hands aren't squeaky clean when they finish. The towels spend most of the time on the floor and are pretty awful. The children never wash their hands before snack time and use the same towels when washing their hands after going to the toilet, or after messy play/painting. The nursery was praised for encourage independence in self care How many childminders would receive praise if they did the same?
    I think that is gross, I wouldn't wash/dry my hands with a dirty towel so would not expect a child to do so!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast