Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not suitable for under 3's

So it's just me and dd today as mindee is poorly so I'm playing the dangerous game of adding to my resources wish list (which is already extensive!) and am getting really frustrated that there is so little that is allegedly suitable for under 3's...gggrrr! All of my mindees are under 3, most under 2 and if I stick to the guidelines I can't get half of the things that I would like to and they would really benefit from. Lots of them saying not suitable due to small parts/choking hazard etc but I can't see that there are even any small parts on half of them!

So my question is surely I'm ok to get '3+' toys as long as the children are supervised? I'm guessing the only issue would be insurance if something happened and a child was actually playing with a toy that they shouldn't be according to the manufacturers instructions. Ringing my insurance company seems a bit over the top but I'm thinking I could so with some clarification!

How does everyone else deal with this or am I just over thinking it?!

May 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you because I have the same problem! I'll be watching this thread with interest. All of my mindees are under 3 and I am really struggling to find resources (besides soft toys, cheap plastic things, and baby puzzles) that will help children learn and develop. I have my heart set on a play kitchen as I know my daughter (2) enjoys them. Anyone who has a little girl will know that there isn't a single hair grip/bauble/band that is labeled as suitable for under 3's. I think manufacturers do go a bit OTT on health and safety sometimes. There are no dress up clothes or real world type toys that are suitable for under 3's and I feel that this will not only make things a bit boring for my little ones, but I'm worried Ofsted will think I don't have enough resources to suit all necessary areas.

oct 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

To be honest once it's out the box you can hardly remember what the suitable ages are on most toys! I think as long as you supervise/risk assess then its the nature of being a childminder that children have access to toys for all ages.

I personally like open ended natural products for small children as well as a few well designed plastic toys. SAINSBURYS have lots of good wooden toys on half price at the moment, I got a wooden shape sorter, wooden blocks, a wooden rainbow etc.

Treasure baskets are great as well, fill with things from around the home like wooden spoons, saucepans etc.

Hope I have been a bit helpful!

Glitter Guest

My 18 month old mindee has spent the morning playing with my daughters mobile phone, the computer mouse, some small plastic farm animals and a couple of barbies.
    Not one of these things are suitable for under threes, but he has had a wonderful morning with them. I think as long as toys are checked regularly for loose parts, and children are supervised it shouldn't matter what they play with.
    Although Ofsted might have different ideas.

pre-reg
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Some of the toys my under 3's play with are for over 3's. I have 2.5 year old that can do a puzzle with ease but that isn't suitable for under 3's! As someone else on this post said, once it is out of the box you can't really remember the correct ages anyway! Although some things you know they mustn't have ie jewellery or very small parts, but it is just common sense, and obviously judgement on whether children would do anything silly with it, ie I know my 2.5 year old wouldn't put the puzzle in her mouth and try to eat it.

dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't use the age it states on the box - I think it's pretty common sense. If it has small bits then the littlies don't play with it

feb 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably the majority of the toys my littlies play with are supposedly not suitable for under three!! Like others have said you just have to use common sense and not let them have things with small pieces etc

Aug 201
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless the toy has small swallowable parts such as lego bricks or lots of loose hair to gag on then I think you can take this not for under three thing too literally. I look after a child who loves Barbie dolls and she is three in January- am I to stop her playing with them as she is three months off the correct age? I think a child minder just needs to use common sense and good judgement.