Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Don't want to sound patronizing

Afternoon guys,

How do you all talk to parents and give ideas about how to extend the children's learning at home without sounding patronizing?

2. Likes chriss liked this post
    Glitter Guest

I just tell them what their child has enjoyed doing with me. For example, 'Sally has really liked playing with the discovery bottles today. The one with the glitter was her favorite.'
    Then I might show parents the bottle and explain how I made it.
    Most parents respond well and some even come back next time and say they continued the activity at home.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have always sent the children home with an activity that we have enjoyed and suggestions for extension. Once the children are excited about the activity the parent always help - especially if they know I will ask about it next day/ after the weekend.

It then promotes discussion about skills etc.. When they return the activity.

I intend to carry on this system and have made up story sack type bags that, when we have used them, will be able to go home.

Hoping that with only 3 children I will manage to hold on to the bags and activities I have spent ages making. At school I was always losing them to houses that apparantly were inhabited by Borrowers!!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have borrowing bags ... Some go home, get used and come back with a note in the book. Some go home and get used. Some go home and come back untouched. Some go home and don't come back. Some never go home at all.

Sometimes I write in daily diaries ..x has loved climbing. She wants to show you how high she can climb when you next go to the park. Or .. wow y can now do the Thomas puzzle with 12 pieces. He says he has a Thomas puzzle at home he wants to do. Etc etc.

When I do my summatives I have a box for 'things I can do at home to help me be even more clever' ..It says ... share story books, play games like snap, show me photos and tell me about them .... etc.

Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

What about letting the lo borrow their favourite book from yours to share with parents at their house

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I use my play plan - it is in free resources at the top of the forum - there is a section every month to include information about something I have talked about with parents relevant to learning at home.

It focuses my mind - it ensures I have shared something through the month.

For example, if a child has a new schema I might do a little information sheet with ideas for following it up at home... if a child loves a song here I might send home a YouTube link... if a child is really into dressing up as a superhero I would loan a cape for him/her to use over the weekend.

Then I ask parents - how did it go? what happened? By taking an interest in what they are doing at home I get a great insight into what they might enjoy doing next.

Hth

8. Likes Tulip liked this post