Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default lunchbox nightmare.....

Why?? Why?? (I despair sometimes......)

In my setting children bring a packed lunch, last week one child who is 22mths old was sent 'popping candy' as part of their lunch
    but when I spoke to mum about it to remind her about my healthy food/sweets policy she looked at me blankly and said, oh is that was it is???

why would you give your child a 'foodstuff' (term used very loosely) if you didn't know what it was.......

Has anyone else ever had 'strange' foodstuff in place of real food??????
    God Bless xx T

Post Thanks / Like

Depends what you call strange food stuff. My daughter when taking a packed lunch to school for the past 5 years has been told she's weird, strange and silly because she takes a combination of the following;
    Wholemeal/granary sandwiches
    Tomatoes
    Cucumber
    Apple
    Banana
    Tangerines
    Oranges
    Berries
    Peppers
    Water
    Yoghurt
    Cheese cubes
    Raisins
    And on a Friday a small packet of biscuits

When she has school dinners she always has and eats the vegetable/salad option and again is called a number of names.

Her friends on the other hand have:
    White sandwiches with jam/chocolate spread
    Packet of crisps
    Chocolate biscuit
    Chocolate bar
    Cheese string
    Juice
    And they won't have school dinners because they don't serve chips unless it's a Friday.

I just find it strange that parents don't encourage their children to eat healthily in this day and age.

3. Likes VeggieSausage, FloraDora liked this post
    Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm...it's hard isn't it...
    I have got to the point now where I just send what I class as unhealthy foods home again, and after a few days and me mentioning it to parents it gets better.
    My boys all have healthy options in their lunches for school and as said before, they get called odd.
    DS10 likes raw peppers, celery and cucumber...
    DS8 likes rice, cous cous and coleslaw...
    And DS4's favourite at the min is salad wraps!!

They all get called names...it's a shame.

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

5. Likes VeggieSausage liked this post
    Dec 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do send the 'unhealthy' food back - feel like the lunchtime police checking the boxes before I give them to the kids ..... i was just amazed that she didn't even know what the 'popping candy' was......

both my boys have had packed 'healthy' lunches all the way though school.... (I've softened a bit now my 14yr old can have a twix in his lunch! )
    God Bless xx T

Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I provide all meals so have never been sent anything unhealthy but I did have a parent of an 18mth old mindee say how McDonald's is a nutritious balanced meal that's why their child eats there often twice a week, and their favourite is cheeseburger fries and coke - my jaw almost hit the floor and another favourite is Pizza Hut! My own children do have McDonald, Pizza Hut, KFC etc but not on a weekly basis as an occasional treat!

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tina O View Post
    i was just amazed that she didn't even know what the 'popping candy' was......
    That is shocking....maybe try sending home a leaflet about what would be good choices for a healthy lunch box.
    Healthy eating topic?
    Lots of chatting about staying healthy, eating good foods etc, making a healthy packed lunch picture, healthy food word search etc...may help!!

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    5/3/13
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had alsorts...Cheese dippers in place of sandwiches...

I am struggling with my son at lunchtimes at school as he is eating very little.. So I am going through process of chocolate cheese somedays on sandwiches, dennis the menace, splat marshmellows...Alls sorts of stuff with strict conditions he eats sandwhich and piece of fruit first..

I am swapping him to hot dinners after half term as I think they get a bit more supervision in dinning hall... He eats really well at home.. never have I considered popping candy a food item.

As for McDonalds been a balanced meal..OMG what is his unbalanced meal?

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    5/3/13
    Post Thanks / Like

Also had Son's friend to tea...I asked him what veg he liked ..He said he doesn't eat fruit or veg. Well My son thought that was hilarious... I did pizza in the end for tea, did a bowl of strawberries an grapes and he did eat some strawberries before buiscuit...He was then hungry ..I said do you like malt bread..Whats that? no he doesn't like rasins..Do you like rice pudding? He didn't know what it was !!!..

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My child is a fussy eater but the food she does eat is very healthy. I cook meals have no lunch boxes so no problems. Seeing the weekly school menu though, my child will be taking a packed lunch. Its pizza, chicken dippers, fish fingers, sausage??? Very cheap food if you ask me, the veggie option is not much better! At least what I give her will be good quality or organic.

jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had to send things home too recently.
    We have a no sweets/chocolate rule, but one parent last week told me lo had got up late and could I please give him the cereal packed in his lunchbox.
    When I opened it, it was chocolate flavoured cereal. Picked up the sandwiches to put in the fridge and just had a quick peek - chocolate spread! Yogourt - white chocolate flavoured mousse.
    Incredible!
    Looked after this lo for 2 years so not as if parent doesn't know better.
    Made him a healthy alternative and sent it all back with a note in the lunchbox and a note about this in the Daily Diary. Spoke to parent on pickup and was told "Well it's not as if he has things like that often, he deserves a treat". When I pointed out that this was my Policy, and apart from that it wasn't fair on the other children, I was told I was being too rigid!

Jan2000
    Post Thanks / Like

I will probably be a single voice here but I hate policing children's lunchboxes and in fact I never do. I don't care what Ofsted say it is up to the parents what they give their children to eat in my opinion and I am not going to patronise anyone by giving them a lecture on 'healthy eating'. The goal posts are constantly moved on what is considered to be healthy anyway, for example, white bread contains far more calcium than wholemeal, raisins are full of sugar and stick to the teeth and are not favoured by dentists.

If a child comes to me with a particularly carbs based lunch I just make sure that I give them some veg sticks and cheese or other protein to balance it out.

I hate this nanny state that we currently live in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helendee View Post
    I will probably be a single voice here but I hate policing children's lunchboxes and in fact I never do. I don't care what Ofsted say it is up to the parents what they give their children to eat in my opinion and I am not going to patronise anyone by giving them a lecture on 'healthy eating'. The goal posts are constantly moved on what is considered to be healthy anyway, for example, white bread contains far more calcium than wholemeal, raisins are full of sugar and stick to the teeth and are not favoured by dentists.

If a child comes to me with a particularly carbs based lunch I just make sure that I give them some veg sticks and cheese or other protein to balance it out.

I hate this nanny state that we currently live in.
    Thank goodness for you. After reading all tbe posts i was begining to think im a terrible mother and bad childminder.

My mindees that i do lunch for have a sw and cheeses bit (string, babybell or similar) and cucumber or something.

My daughter has a treat in her lunch box everyday. Party rings , barney bear, etc as well as fruit and yogs cucumber and i give her cheese dippers and a saugeroll instead of a sw as i cant imagine having the same old thing everyday.

She is a very healthy little girl. Never ill and she eats loads of fruit. I think there is only so much fruit a child can have they have to have some rubbish to!!

I must be a terrible cm and mother !!!!!

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by starschildmind View Post
    Thank goodness for you. After reading all tbe posts i was begining to think im a terrible mother and bad childminder.

My mindees that i do lunch for have a sw and cheeses bit (string, babybell or similar) and cucumber or something.

My daughter has a treat in her lunch box everyday. Party rings , barney bear, etc as well as fruit and yogs cucumber and i give her cheese dippers and a saugeroll instead of a sw as i cant imagine having the same old thing everyday.

She is a very healthy little girl. Never ill and she eats loads of fruit. I think there is only so much fruit a child can have they have to have some rubbish to!!

I must be a terrible cm and mother !!!!!
    you are not terrible at all.

IMO all individuals need a healthy balance adn also need to know what is healthy and what is not. If we never let children eat unhealthy food stuffs then when they are old enough to make their own choices we run the risk of binge eating all of the banned foods.

DS(6) has a naughty snack a couple of times a week in his lunch box at school but he takes a healthy snack for snack time every day. He will also decline sweets and things if offered as he has already had some this week.

If we dont educate or guide then how are they going to learn? or make choices based on their own knowledge?

Sorry if this goes against the masses but I was not allowed anything like sweets when i was little and as soon as i had any money i would go and spend it all on sweets so i could see what i had been missing. As some of you will imagine this led to massive sugar rushes followed by lows which were awful. Had i been allowed some as a treat every now and again im sure my behaviour would have been different.

16. Likes ziggy, helendee liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I provide all meals and snacks for minded children and so the issue never occurs. I tell parents that we eat healthy meals but do have biscuit/cake/sweets and sometimes we go to Mcds for lunch...Not very often as closest one is 45 mins drive! But if we eat rubbish at one meal then the rest of the day is full of fruit and veg.

My children generally have pack lunches and generally healthy which they prefer. Both take a 'treat' snack on a Friday.

We do healthy eating but I don't worry if we have a day eating rubbish. I do think that restricting treats too much makes them more of a problem in the long run.

18. Likes ziggy, helendee liked this post
    Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the last couple of posts about restricting treats can make them a bigger issue. My own dd has coco pops for breakfast and I see no harm in this as it means she eats a decent amount of breakfast before school. My ds has crisps or cake in his packed lunch but that is with a healthy sandwich yogurt and fruit again I see no harm, they are both very fit and healthy children.
    But I provide all meals for my mindees thankfully as I would dread what one particular mindee would bring, the mindees do also have treats like cake and biscuits which all parents know about and are happy with as they are provided with healthy home made meals.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gail Tracey View Post
    you are not terrible at all. IMO all individuals need a healthy balance adn also need to know what is healthy and what is not. If we never let children eat unhealthy food stuffs then when they are old enough to make their own choices we run the risk of binge eating all of the banned foods. DS(6) has a naughty snack a couple of times a week in his lunch box at school but he takes a healthy snack for snack time every day. He will also decline sweets and things if offered as he has already had some this week. If we dont educate or guide then how are they going to learn? or make choices based on their own knowledge? Sorry if this goes against the masses but I was not allowed anything like sweets when i was little and as soon as i had any money i would go and spend it all on sweets so i could see what i had been missing. As some of you will imagine this led to massive sugar rushes followed by lows which were awful. Had i been allowed some as a treat every now and again im sure my behaviour would have been different.
    Yes I agree with this and a few previous posts. It's not my job to tell parents what they can and can't give their child. I will continue to promote healthy eating and an active lifestyle for my mindees but I would let them eat whatever parents gave them. If I am feeding the children they get a reasonably healthy meal but they do get the occasional treat. The same with my children. They are guided and allowed to make choices if appropriate and they don't always just pick the junk food. I agree that a total ban on these things when young can lead to problems when they are making their own decisions.

21. Likes Dragonfly, helendee liked this post
    Nov 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with some of the other posts on here.
    If parents want to give their child a lunchbox full of 'rubbish' then that's up to them-if i took the junk out of them,they'd have nothing to eat!.I care for a 10 year old who regularly brings packets of haribo,crisps and biscuits as well as cans of red bull-and that's just for breakfast! They know its rubbish-but if they're quite happy for him to have that first thing in the morning,then it's not up to me to take it off him!If I sent home uneaten unhealthy stuff all the time,I'd have a war on my hands!

I do have a healthy eating policy-but that only covers the drinks and snacks that I supply.We have chopped fruit,raisins,plain biscuits or wholemeal toast(for the hungry schoolies!!).

23. Likes ziggy, Dragonfly, helendee liked this post
    aug 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I fully agree on what I provide is a healthy meal but what a child brings in a lunch box is up to their parents

25. Likes Dragonfly, helendee, bindy liked this post
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The strangest thing I have had in a packed lunch box was a raw squash - at least it was healthy though!

LO for the last 2 times she has been has come with a packet of angel delight (for me to make!)

27. Likes Dragonfly, helendee, Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tulip0803 View Post
    The strangest thing I have had in a packed lunch box was a raw squash - at least it was healthy though!

LO for the last 2 times she has been has come with a packet of angel delight (for me to make!)
    I used to nanny for a little girl whose most favourite thing in the whole world was a raw courgette, eaten whole!

29. Likes lisa1968, Dragonfly, Maza liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast