Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  50
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helendee View Post
    I will probably be a single voice here but I hate policing children's lunchboxes and in fact I never do. I don't care what Ofsted say it is up to the parents what they give their children to eat in my opinion and I am not going to patronise anyone by giving them a lecture on 'healthy eating'. The goal posts are constantly moved on what is considered to be healthy anyway, for example, white bread contains far more calcium than wholemeal, raisins are full of sugar and stick to the teeth and are not favoured by dentists.

If a child comes to me with a particularly carbs based lunch I just make sure that I give them some veg sticks and cheese or other protein to balance it out.

I hate this nanny state that we currently live in.
    I totally agree with you, it drives me insane this obsession we seem to have with 'healthy food' these days. And as you say the so called experts give us different info every day.

All mine bring lunch boxes with all sorts in. My only rule is they have to eat at least half sandwich/wrap etc before they have anything else.

2. Likes loocyloo, Dragonfly, helendee, tulip0803, bindy liked this post
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ohhh I forgot about the bag of frozen banana that a Mum mistook for tortellini!

4. Likes Maza liked this post
    Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I check the lunch box but I don't send anything back - if the parents choose to feed their child that then it's none of my business! The one I have isn't too bad, no sweets, but this week she's had crisps, sandwich and yoghurt. I probably wouldn't give the crisps she gives her, would probably swap for quavers or wotsits as these are a little bit healthier but if she wants to feed her them then it's up to her. She does have fruit for her snack although afternoon snack tends to be those yoghurt covered fruit flakes, not sure how healthy they are but could be worse!

6. Likes ziggy liked this post
    June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helendee View Post
    I will probably be a single voice here but I hate policing children's lunchboxes and in fact I never do. I don't care what Ofsted say it is up to the parents what they give their children to eat in my opinion and I am not going to patronise anyone by giving them a lecture on 'healthy eating'. The goal posts are constantly moved on what is considered to be healthy anyway, for example, white bread contains far more calcium than wholemeal, raisins are full of sugar and stick to the teeth and are not favoured by dentists.

If a child comes to me with a particularly carbs based lunch I just make sure that I give them some veg sticks and cheese or other protein to balance it out.

I hate this nanny state that we currently live in.

Amen to that !!

Aug 201
    Post Thanks / Like

I love the idea of the healthy food leaflet. I had a parent who sent a two year old with a tin of baked beans every day for lunch! Pure laziness.

Decembe
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not there to police whats in a lunch box, or disrespect the parents on their choices for their child. I really dont like the high horses that a fair few childminders seem to be sitting on, as if they and their families only eat organic or home grown, fine if you do, but please, dont look down on the rest.

10. Likes merry, helendee, bindy liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I provide the children's meals so don't get lunchboxes
    But if I did and thought them unsuitable/unhealthy I wouldn't stop the child having what the parent had provided, I would just let the parent know that little johnny enjoyed his lunch box today and I hope they don't mind but i'd also given him some fruit/veg sticks to balance it out. I would then just offer advice on healthy eating options and hope they took the hint!

Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

My mindee brings a packed lunch and it annoys me that there is always crisps in it. However, it's mum's choice. She's aware that they aren't healthy, because we've discussed it. But she wants him to have them - think she feels a little guilty about going to work and leaving him.

I discussed this with my Ofsted inspector at my last inspection and showed her the healthy eating advice and leaflets that I hand out to parents and she was satisfied - got outstanding for the care and wellbeing of the child!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

When my son was a baby he was always underweight wouldn't have milk etc I was at hospital all the time because they said he was not thriving,so I was advised to give him cheese,cakes,cream and any other fattening thing I could give him.Now he is over weight and will not eat veg,salad etc I try him every few weeks but its always the same result.I get sick and tired of all this lunch box business it is not up to me to tell the parent what is healthy or not.They are not stupid they know what is healthy and what is not.I think parents have enough to deal with.
    Alyson x

Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I' ve got one of each - a son who eats well and will eat any fruit, veg, any sandwich fillings, soups - whatever - and a fussy eater who barely likes fruit or veg - its hard work and we worry about him being hungry at school so we are a bit lenient about what goes in his lunch box but he gets healthy meal in evening. we're persisting with him and he is getting better so it is worth it.

15. Likes chriss liked this post
    Dec 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all the reply's..... it's very interesting reading to see so many different opinions.....

Has anyone got any opinion on the recent news report from 'The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence'

BBC News - Obese children should keep food diaries say guidelines. (3 in 10 children between 2 and 15 are overweight etc etc........) I'm not starting a witch hunt or criticizing any parent/working practices I'm just really interested to get the views of people who work with children and on what these so called 'experts' have to say.......
    God Bless xx T

Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you have to strike a balance whilst there are children who eat totally inappropriate food and are overweight my fear is that when you make too big of an issue and can end up with children with eating disorders. I remember when eldest ds was in infant school and they had a big drive on eating heathily, my husband popped out to get KFC as a treat for tea my ds burst into tears and didn't want any after we calmed him down he was worried what would happen to him by eating unhealthy food, we then went on to explain how it was ok every now and again to eat unhealthy food but you should aim for mostly healthy food but treats are ok. I think children should be encourage to live more active lifestyles and parents be enouraged to offer healthy snacks. Keeping a food and activity diary is hard work and easy to miss stuff off, I'm having to keep one for my dd (she's not overweight just seeing if it triggers her medical problems). But at the end of the day it's down to parents and just like anything else with parenting some will make more beneficial choices than others but other than giving advice (like the change 4 life leaflets we get from school) I don't see what more can be done.

18. Likes loocyloo liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12