Likes Likes:  19
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time off?

Registered Childminder since
    Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Time off?

A question - how often do you take days off from minding? I know a minder who has a few days off every couple of months and another one who has had 5 days off in the past year. I know its personal preference, but from those who have been minding for years and know the ups and downs to the business more than us (fairly) newbies, how often would you recommend letting your hair down?

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't take days off here and there but wish I could, especially in the school holidays.

Although for the first time in 6yrs I had a Friday off in August as I needed a break from the 4 week school holiday. (I'd had the 1st two 2 weeks off but I still needed a day as I find them so intense) I picked a day where I only had 1 mindee so only had to tell 1 parent that I was planning a day off

I always have 10-14 days at xmas, 1 week at Easter and 2 weeks off in the summer
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Sept 01
    Post Thanks / Like

I do the usual...week at Easter, 2 weeks in summer and a week at Christmas. I also take bank holidays. Wish I was brave enough to go term time only. I've been doing this for 13-14 years and do love it but it's exhausting sometimes and I often feel the need for a break.

Love Fridays though, even though they are pretty manic I know there's a cool crisp dewy glass of chilled sauvingnon blanc waiting for me at the end of the day :-) mmm that was like an m&s advert ;-)

4. Likes Shamai, Goatgirl liked this post
    Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been minding for 23 years and have always take 3-4 weeks holiday a year, in the past few years i have increased it to 4-5 weeks,
    I also for the past 8 years only done the school runs on a friday, but that has changed since september and have all day friday off, I think
    as I get older I need the day off for myself before the weekend of housework and paperwork. I love my job and having all day friday now
    is just the icing on the cake.
    Cath

6. Likes primula liked this post
    SEPT 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive only had 5 days off as my hoilday in the last year, apart from bank hols amd unexpected days off due to mindees being off ill. Wish i could take more time off but just cant afford it .

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I work 5 days a week from 07.45 - 18.00 and I have figured out over the years that I need at least a long weekend every couple of months otherwise I just feel burnt out. This year from Jan thro to Dec I will have taken off 25 days although some of those have been for my DD's hospital appointments which are not local.

xxxx

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I take 5 weeks and odd days for appointments. I need 5 weeks as the year I didn't take that many I ended up in hospital with blood pressure so high I could have a stroke at any time.

Wibble the well rested x
    The bats have left the bell tower.....

Dec 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am in desperate need for a day off to catch up on my paperwork. Im so behind, but even though I get a few hours at the weekend theres family, dinners, shopping etc. So I'm going to book myself a day off soon, just for paperwork. My parents wont be happy so Im going to tell them its a compulsory training day.
    Julie X X

11. Likes littlemiss60561 liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I mind 4 days a week, and spend Monday morning volunteering in school. I usually spend the afternoon ( before school pick up ) doing my paperwork for the week.

I take 4 weeks a year holiday - week between Christmas & new year, a week at Easter and 2 weeks in august. I usually take the occasional day here and there too. i'm just trying to work out which/when before Christmas! ( however, DH is going into hospital for a day in a few weeks and I will probably need to take a day then, so I might not take another day! )

I have recently put up my fees to include half fees for my 4 weeks holiday ( but added to weekly fees, rather than charged when I am away ) which means I don't feel the loss quite so much when I am off, as I put that amount away each month when I get paid.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I take two weeks in August summer holidays and two weeks at Christmas. I have also stopped working on Fridays in the school holidays so that I can spend some quality time with my DD. Two out of the three families I care for are term time only so it works out quite well.

feb 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Up until this year I have taken 5 weeks, one at Easter then two each summer and Christmas, however having given notice to full time all year round child at end of last year he's been replaced with a students boys so they're term time only to add to the other two who are teachers kids so also term time only best summer holiday since I started minding! Was really good to have a nice long break and spend time with my own kids

Aug 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

After childminding for 24 years I seem to have got it right for me. Every other Friday off, plus bank holidays and six weeks holiday a year. I so look forward to my time off, gives me the boost to get up and start all over again!

16. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    5/3/13
    Post Thanks / Like

my fullltimer is term time only...

I have had quite few holidays off... I am starting with a baby 3 hours a week term time and a baby 30 hours a week over 3 days so will still get 3/5 days of the hols but have also built is 4 weeks a year holiday plus bank holidays

Post Thanks / Like

I have 15 days spread across year and then bank holidays. I co ordinate them with my parents so that we are all on holiday at the same time, and they don't incur extra childcare costs, it works really well for us, but I work on a relatively small scale, only 5 fulltimers and no schoolers x

dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I take 5 weeks holiday and all bank holidays each year. X

20. Likes Goatgirl liked this post
    Jan 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Minding 24 yrs and at last I've now got it just right! by having time to spend with my DH , time( a whole day) to share with my 88yr old Dad, time to go with my (poorly) Sis to her hosp. apps ,time for me to attend to my recent health problems( without letting parents down to go to hosp.apps and physio) time to do housework , time to catch up on all the paperwork and ....................time to read books again My kids have all flown the nest now,so MY time is here to stay- 2 days working and 5 days off xx

22. Likes starlight1, Goatgirl, Shamai liked this post
    Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cathtee View Post
    I've been minding for 23 years and have always take 3-4 weeks holiday a year, in the past few years i have increased it to 4-5 weeks,
    I also for the past 8 years only done the school runs on a friday, but that has changed since september and have all day friday off, I think
    as I get older I need the day off for myself before the weekend of housework and paperwork. I love my job and having all day friday now
    is just the icing on the cake.
    SNAP!

Well almost - been minding 23 years - now have about 4-5 weeks off. As of Sept only do before and after school on a Friday

Got a week off next week

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pinkellifun View Post
    A question - how often do you take days off from minding? I know a minder who has a few days off every couple of months and another one who has had 5 days off in the past year. I know its personal preference, but from those who have been minding for years and know the ups and downs to the business more than us (fairly) newbies, how often would you recommend letting your hair down?
    I have only had one week off this year

Soooo tired

Angel xx

Post Thanks / Like

I take 6 weeks, 4 hols and 2 forct

Post Thanks / Like

That sent before I finished?? 2 for training,paperwork and fostering commitments.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast