Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Shingles case at playgroup

Hi!

There was a confirmed case of shingles at playgroup I visited with my mindees a few weeks ago.
    I've let parents know as there is risk to children.

One parent reacted by saying oh did they know the child was ill and went to playgroup anyway. I explained no they didn't know as often no symptoms at first when contagious. !!!!!

Just wondering how to go from here, if any of the children contract chicken pox. I assume exclude until spots are dry. Is this what you would do

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the chances of getting chicken pox from shingles is very low. I did know of one adult, who did get them after her husband got shingles. The doctor told her it was a million to one chance! My sister got them when she was small, not one of her 5 siblings came down with chicken pox from her.

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

That makes me feel less guilty! Hopefully no one gets it
    One if my families are going to Florida for half term so they could have problem if little ones get it

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My own toddler got shingles (had had chicken pox as a baby) and his baby brother caught chicken pox from him.
    Yes, watch for spots and fever and exclude while spots are 'wet'.

dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I had shingles when I was pregnant and it was awful, you can only get shingles if you've had chicken pox, the virus stays in your body apparently and if your immune system is low ie when your pregnant it goes into your nerve endings giving you shingles (it's incredibly painful) but when you have shingles you can give people chicken pox, abit random but thought I'd share. X

June86
    Post Thanks / Like

There has to be direct contact with the person with shingles to pass on chicken pox to someone who hasn't had it so chances of your mindee picking it up are minimal and would explain why moggy's son passed it on.

Simona Guest

Shingles is very painful indeed and usually affects adults who have had chicken pox when young
    under certain circumstances the dormant virus can be triggered and reactivated

More info here
    Shingles - NHS Choices