Parental Concern - Where to Record?!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 21
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Parental Concern - Where to Record?!

So I've had a 17 month old start with me recently and by recently I mean today was only her 5th session.

Chatting to mum on collection and she casually says "oh yeah there is something I've been meaning to say, Is X very boisterous when she's here only she's been covered in bruises just lately"?!

I was a little surprised but said "no not really to be honest" as in my opinion she is not.

She then went on to say "oh I thought I'd ask as I wasnt sure if perhaps there was something harder than say a sofa sofa or something that she could be hurting herself on as she doesnt really fall over at home".

I was mortified as the tone to her voice and the look on her face clearly indicated what she was implying!

I told her I will keep a special look out to see if I notice anything inparticular that could be causing it but I hadn't noticed anything so far and that it could simply be when they are playing on the cars in the garden.

Apart from the fact that I have been a child carer for 20 yeasr, I have 3 children of my own including a 2 year old and in my opinion when kids start walking they do tend to have bruise all over their legs for no reason!

Trouble is I know the importance of this and I know I need to record it somewhere but I'm not sure where really.

Any suggestions????

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would make a record of the conversation. Have you seen any bruises?

Feb 21
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by christine e View Post
    I would make a record of the conversation. Have you seen any bruises?
    She does have a light grey bruise on one of her legs which looks like just a run of the mill bruise toddlers get to be honest. Mum also said she had bruises on her belly or hip but I haven't noticed any there. She has been with mum from friday evening until yesterday which is even more frustrating - how do I know/prove she did it whilst in her care not mine?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Record the conversation in your incident or complaints record, and what you said to mum about keeping an eye out for bruises, get mum to sign it to agree the conversation took place if you feel brave enough. If you are worried mum may blame you for bruises then you may need to start checking for bruises when she arrives and record them on an existing injuries record, get mum to sign. I know this sounds extreme but if you are worried mum may blame you, then you must protect yourself.
    Also be aware that in rare incidences parents may query if the child is being injured with you, to cover up injuries that are occuring at home.
    Make sure you are recording every incident that may cause a bruise or injury in your accident record. I know its a pain to record every knock or bump but until mum feels better/more confident about the usual toddler bumps and scrapes you may need to. x

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

agree with Ali56 - would record as an incident and in future record all bruising

Feb 21
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the advice. Cant believe some parents! I keep a book with daily summaries so will make a note in there but still not sure whether I need to put this in the incident section of the medical folder or my complaints book?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cbshoat View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. Cant believe some parents! I keep a book with daily summaries so will make a note in there but still not sure whether I need to put this in the incident section of the medical folder or my complaints book?
    Either is fine, just so long as you have a record x

8. Likes cbshoat, christine e liked this post