Bit annoyed with ofsted
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    jan 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry Bit annoyed with ofsted

Called ofsted today and said i had been waiting for them to come and do a premises inspection because of new house (moved almost a year ago!). She said she would be out on aug 18th and it would be a proper inspection. Told her i won't have any mindees because i had taken a year off due to all the work and extension the house had needed. I said i wouldn't be minding until september. She said it would therefore be a non minding inspection and that the highest grade i could get would be satisfactory. So, i asked if she could come in september when i would have mindees but she said no, and that i could not mind in sept unless she had been out and ok'd the property and sent new certificate! She said it would be made clear on my report that i could not receive a higher grade due to no mindees present so i shouldn't worry. I then asked if they could do an inspection, say 6 months later so i could try and up my grade but she said i would have to wait at least 3 years. Do you think i should stop worrying? Also, i've been panicking about not knowing enough about EYFS for inspection but she said as it will be before 1st september she will be judging me on national standards and making sure i know about keeping children safe. What do you think about this and how should i prepare??

Dec 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bit annoyed with ofsted

Is there a little one you can "borrow" for the inspection? I think I would be tempted to try that.

Doesnt seem very fair though

Apr 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

What's happening in September - do you have ex-mindees returning or new mindees lined up? I'd be tempted to arrange a settling in visit or getting-back-into-routine-with-ladylipgloss session to get your inspection over & done with and take away the worry of EYFS for a bit.

If that's not a possibility, just because she's in the area on the 18th doesn't mean you have to drop everything to stay in for her. I'd find a reason to cancel 18th. Don't forget to catch up on your dentist/optician/hair appointments/give blood etc before the mindees come back ... terribly busy month you've got in August ...

Apr 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry didn't think that through! No benefit in putting off inspection if that means you can't start in September as planned. If they've said they want to see the property before giving a new certificate theres nothing you can do about that.

So the only options I can see are borrowing some children or accepting a satisfactory.

Latest Inspection Grade
    6 Excellent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by susi513 View Post

So the only options I can see are borrowing some children or accepting a satisfactory.
    or unregister and re register? is that doable anyone know?

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont understand this one if you had not taken a year off you would have been minding in the new house, before they checked it. Because you would have taken your mindees with you. So why cannot you mind in this new house until it is checked.

Post Thanks / Like

I also think that "borrowing" a child would be a great idea especially as you know when she's coming.

There is nothing wrong with a satisfactory grade - it means you are meeting all the standards so don't worry too much

Miffy xx

jan 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't get it either. I have been waiting over a year for my new certificate!! I told them about my move straight away, sent in a risk assesment etc and they said they would need to do house inspection. Then, when they found out i wouldn't be minding they said no rush!

I have already asked if i could borrow a mindee but i was told no, because i can't mind without the correct address on my certificate. it seems sooo petty. Also, i have my own daughter who is under 5 but it's not good enough that she will be here either even though she counts as one of my numbers!!!

I could rant on and on about this but it looks as though i will have to go through with inspection and get satisfactory (hope there won't be any reason not to give me even that. lol.)

At least i'll have a few years to get used to EYFS before next inspection. Mind you, i wouldn't be surprised if thats changed by then!

Thanks for your comments though. Wondered if i was the only one thinking it was crazy.

Sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

thats crazy! Why do you have to be inspected as well? it doesnt make sense!!!It is not your fault they havent inspected you earlier!

Poor you. I dont know what to suggest, it just doesnt seem right.

Jana

march03
    Post Thanks / Like

when i moved 15 months ago i took my minded children with me and ofsted came out to me within a week though i didnt have a full inspection just my house. Yet there was a childminder in my area who i know and she moved twice and didnt get a visit after either move ofsted seam to make the rules up as the go along if you ask me.

Post Thanks / Like

That is so stupid

So anyone who moves house even if its up the road cant mind until their new certificate is altered ?
    Say if you were taking the children with you what then ?

I think I would call Ofsted and query this it seems a little unfair to me

Dont think I would give up without a fight to be honest
    I know minders that have moved and havent had to wait till they could mind again

Like Jayne said a lot of minders move and Ofsted do not even check

They need to stick to the same rule book

Angel xx

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

my friend registered in Jan 08 and ofsted where coming out next week to do her first graded inspection.

they rang her today and said that her inspection is cancelled as there will no inspections until september now. this may just be derbyshire but i think ofsted need to decide what they are doing.

Jen x

march03
    Post Thanks / Like

my new certificate arrived at our new address 2 day before we moved in

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had loads of friends who have moved while minding. They have just moved the children with them. So for a while they were minding in a new unchecked house.

This is just not fair.

jumpinjen Guest

i am just about to post my forms off to request inspection, but my friend has just had hers and she is non-minding at present as she's not registered yet...she had a good rating so i would check with them again about the satisfactory bit... that's really mean!
    Jenni