do u have an assistant? pls advice me
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default do u have an assistant? pls advice me

HI all,
    Just some advice pls. Esp if you have an assistant.
    I am about to take on an apprentice to be my assistant. I have had 3 cv and need to interview. What would you advice I ask them in order to get the right candidate. One is 16, 21 and 19.

If you have assistants you would probably know what to look out for in a potentially good assistant.
    What should my emphasis be. How might I gauge if they woulc be commited and not regularly miss work?

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Trust your instinct!
    My mum is my assistant so I didn't need to interview. Do you have your own children? Maybe you could observe how they are with them? I would probably quiz them on their knowledge of safeguarding and general child development. If they are apprentices they should have some knowledge or able to demonstrate that they have a bit of common sense!
    I know this sounds really snobby but remember that it is your business and your reputation so I would go for someone who looked nice and spoke nicely!
    And make sure you get references! xx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would discount the 16 year old myself as they cannot be an assistant in the form of leaving a child. There are rules and they must be aged 17 for one register and 18 for another.

I would look for experience, college course, level 3, safeguarding, do they have first aid. All the things someone in our field should have some of, if not all.
    Debbie

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much chatterbox and boris. You have made very important points.
    Xx